5.0 out of 5 stars Best price/performance CPU (at this time)
Last year I previously purchased an AMD FX6100 CPU, not unhappy with that choice at all, but a re-build of another PC gave me a chance to try the newer 6300 processor, so I'll compare that to the older one. The old FX was also good bang per buck (initial price was too high) With recent price cuts the 6300 moves into a bargain price bracket for a hexacore processor...
Published 11 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
get what you pay for . good for budget gaming build but reccommend spending a littles more on better if possible
Published 16 days ago by stanimus

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price/performance CPU (at this time), 11 Aug 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed) (Personal Computers)

The updated piledriver processors, are revisions of the original bulldozer processors and initially I didn't expect a notable gain in performance overall, however real world it's proved quite a strong processor even more so than the 6100.

My pros and cons list:

Pro's
+ Bang per buck, in the sub 100 CPU category this is unmatched in terms of performance at this price point
+ Easy to overclock, even more so than the 6100 (slightly better power consumption) unlocked as all FX cpu's are
+ Single threaded performance improved over bulldozer (in some cases quite a bit but Intel still rule here)
+ Faster than a 125w 6200 CPU, yet with lower clock speeds! In some cases it beats the old 8120 FX cpu
+ Undervolts very well (if you are into quiet computing)
+ Excellent multi threaded performance
+ Easy to cool (but get a better heatsink/fan)

Con's
- Standard stock cooler is actually identical to the Athlon II 65W CPU's, and a fair bit smaller than the original 6100 FX cooler, plan on getting another heatsink/fan if you're overclocking
- Still mixed performance in low threaded applications (though improved over the first FX series)

I'm personally much more interested in real world results than running benchmark tests suites. I do photo and video work quite often, so I dropped a HD video file into handbrake for conversion to MP4. Both the 6100 and 6300 were running at 3.5GHz.
6100 did the conversion in 9:20, 6300 in 7:38, whilst I expected a boost that was bigger than I imagined.

I found Lightroom 5 to be quicker and an uptake of around 20% in exporting raw files, again at the same clock speed. The CPU seems to cope well with image editing in a number of applications, even with larger image files of 16-24mp the FX6300 feels fast and responsive.

Games also showed an improvement, whilst I still suggest looking at the GPU first, all my games showed an improvement in fps and played smoother on the newer CPU. Passmark was around 6520 score. 7zip showed an improvement over the 6100 also around 10%

So what changed with bulldozer to piledriver?
The design of the CPU is the same as older ones, but the extra year has given AMD the chance to refine a few areas.
+ Improved branch prediction and prefetching
+ Support for AVX1.1, FMA3, F16C, Bit Manipulation and Trailing Bit Manipulation instructions
+ Larger L1 Translation Lookaside Buffers and L2 efficiency improvements
+ Improved FPU and integer scheduling, and better branch prediction and prefetching
+ Turbo core 3

All this sounds great but does it show up in the real world? Well so far I have to say yes it does. Some areas such as the new instructions supported might not matter right now, but down the road it could have quite an impact.

AMD's FX might have had mixed receptions from some review sites, but real world you want to build a pc/upgrade to a CPU that doesn't cost a ton, has a good performance for heavier tasks. As I said in my FX6100 review, you want the performance there mostly in multi threaded software. As so few applications are single threaded nowadays it doesn't make sense to mark a CPU down that does very well for more intensive multi threaded tasks.

At this price range you can buy the FX6300 or an Intel Core i3 3220. Intel have a good processor which is well designed and efficient, but it actually costs a bit more than the AMD processor and when the meat hits the grinder the i3 is still stuck with a dual core design which just can't match the FX6300 in intensive applications. Even at stock speed it's quite a difference, the unlocked AMD is really a much better choice for bang per buck wise.

Factor in the cost of an AMD board and it becomes an even more appealing choice.

This isn't the fastest CPU out there, it's a mid level processor that's got a fairly hefty upper cut and punches well above it's weight. I've made the mistake of buying very expensive processors in the past (200-300+), today really in this price range I can't imagine many people being anything but very pleased with the performance of this CPU even when you are doing more demanding work. If you're building an office pc then you'll be fine with a Sempron or Athlon II dual core (plenty fast enough for that type of PC) The FX CPU is for those looking to do more demanding tasks, but not breaking the bank either.

The FX8320 would be the next step up with an extra module (2 cores) that's also a good CPU at that price too. The Intel i5's are very good but fairly expensive and they're not massively faster for some tasks (video work the 6300 runs them pretty close at times)
I'm a bit puzzled with the FX4300 CPU, it's only about 5 cheaper and with 4v6 threads just doesn't add up value wise (the CPU is fine but it's just priced all wrong)

So this now gets my double thumbs up, if you want to extract the most pound of flesh for your cash then the FX6300 is unbeatable right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS CPU, FOR ANY BUILD!, 8 Feb 2014
I was building a budget gaming PC (by budget I say around 450 pounds) but my friend was going all out on his budget in the 850 dollar range. I reccomended him this CPU and not an intel because purely what this can do for it's price.
For this kind of money on intels battlefield you will get a mid range i3. A rubbish processor now, good 3 years ago.
This is a great CPU and will go great with any graphics card if you are gaming that is a gddr5 1-2gb card.
If you are rendering from time to time do not let the price put you off, you will not be dissapointed with this card.
Don't worry you could match this up with any high end card and won't need to worry about the processor falling behind.
This is the best processor for this kind of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best value CPU on the market for budget rigs., 8 Jun 2013
I bought this cpu for my latest cheap gaming build, and was probably the most expensive element of the computer (I managed to get a really good deal on a second hand HD 6950) but I would say the cpu is one of the best value parts. When I bought it it was just under 100, which compared to the Intel i5 models (Intel Core i5-3450) that benchmark around the same performance was a good sized saving of over 50. Another good aspect of the FX6300 is that by changing the settings in the BIOS, you can enable turbo mode, which is a kind of inbuilt overclocking feature which enables the cpu to step up it's clock speed without you having to manually adjust the multiplier.
Benchmarking scores using Passmark's Performance Test with and without turbo
Standard clock: 6534
Turbo: 6985
The cpu is really quite powerful, especially in comparison to my previous cpu which benchmarked at around one third of the FX 6300, and makes a really good upgrade for people like me who have left it a bit late to upgrade to more recent generations of processors. However, the only issue I had with this cpu is that the stock heatsink and fan they supply with it is absolutely minute! it's an 80mm amd fan on an 80mm alloy heatsink with pre-applied generic thermal paste. I'm not really sure this cooler provides much benefit in the way of temps, and I only used it for a couple of days because I replaced it with the Arctic cooling A30, which is complete overkill because It's probably one of the largest coolers I've ever seen. At the moment (in summer, using turbo mode) when the fans are on silent settings, temps during normal usage are around 31 degrees, when the fans are on 100% speed, it takes it really close to room temperature, like mid 20's, which is very impressive in my books! Even when heavily overclocking and under load (using prime95), I've never seen the temperatures exceed 51 degrees, so very impressive stuff (I'm running a prime 95 blend test now with stock clocks and it's been running for about 20 minutes and it's at 40 degrees). On a side note, the coolest I've ever seen the cpu temps were 12 degrees just after boot during the winter when it was freezing outside. Although it should definitely be said I'm not sure how safe overclocking would be with the stock heatsink.

Anyway,I would definitely recommend buying this cpu, because at 90 it's spectacularly good value. It's only 95W TDP, so doesn't require heavy duty cooling solutions and requires less juice from the power supply than the octo core models. If you are in need of something with more power then you might want to shell out 30-60 more pounds and upgrade to the 8350 or 8320 (the 6300 is more powerful than the 8100), but for me at least this wasn't necessary and just slightly too expensive. I think the 6300 will last me for a good few years, and I definitely can't see it struggling with any games that I throw at it. In combination with my HD 6950, they have managed to hold every game that I've thrown at it on max quality settings flawlessly. So, if you are on a budget, (I managed to build my pc for a total of 350 because I got my case and the HD 6950 for 40 off a friend who had upgraded and left them behind.) and you are going to be doing relatively cpu intensive activities like gaming or digital art projects and don't want to be bothered by lag or compromising lower quality settings then the FX6300 is for you. Also, if you are looking for a replacement cooling solution for the tiny heatsink, the A30 is a great enthusiasts cooler (40 degrees at full load is great) and only cost me 30. However, I have also tried the Arctic Alpine 64 Pro rev. 2 on it, and although it's only designed for 90w TDP processors, it handled the temps nicely (and was definitely better than the stock heatsink) and only costs 10. (it's also very quiet) Sorry for the long review, but if it helps anyone to decide whether they want to buy it then it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will most certainty buy again, 2 July 2013
I was thinking to veer away from AMD as I heard very little good things about their current processors but decided to buy the FX6300 over an i3 to attempt to future proof a 500 computer. It is paired with a GTX660 and they run beautifully together maxing out a lot of games at 1080p. It is running on the stock cooler and hitting very average temperatures. Would definitely use this CPU on a similar budget build again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure brilliance, 10 Mar 2014
Using with the Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard, and 8GB Kingston Technology HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9, absolutely no complaints, was previously using a Phenom triple core 8400Mhz, and there is a noticeable difference, would definitely recommend this CPU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Processor for the price, 18 Sep 2013
It's a great processor for the price. I think its lightening fast with 6 cores and I haven't even overclocked it yet. Im using the stock cooler with it(It came with pre-applied thermal paste) and since i've been using it it hasn't gone above 35 degrees Celcius. I have to say tho the case im using has 4 fans cooling it(excluding the cpu fan).Im using this processor with 8gb Corsair Vengence ram, Asus m5a78l-m/usb3 motherboard, corsair 600w psu modular and a CIT Vantage type-r case. It's a quality processor and i recommend it to anyone looking to build their own gaming-rig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for great price, 21 Oct 2013
Built a gaming rig and was torn between this and an i5 but with a small budget in mind it had to be the 6300 otherwise I would not be able to afford a GFX as well.

People will endlessly tell you that most games wont exploit the 6 cores this chip has to offer and that you would be better off to get a quad-core instead. However, I find 6 to be just right as you can have 4 cores dedicated to a game that is running and 2 'spare' cores for background applications. For example, if like me, you ALT+TAB games alot to keep an eye on e-mails or to look stuff up on the net then this core is great as there is no lag caused due to the multitude of cores.

A great buy at a great price in my mind. Yeah Intel is best but for the price I just couldn't resist.

Get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Value high performance CPU, 19 May 2014
I have paired the AMD FX6300 3.5 GHz cpu with an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard and added an Enermax cooler. The FX6300 is stable at an overclocked 4.2 GHz and has is so far operating in the temperature range 15 to 29 degrees C. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goddamn awesome for its price, 24 April 2014
Especially for gaming that's quite a cheap and powerful CPU.

I always was on Intel but they can go to hell now.

Anyone with a true dedicated GPU doesn't care about them upgrading constantly their Intel Graphics. That CPU delivers great overclocking possibilities for half the price of an Intel. A no brainer (if you got a good GPU I believe!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overclocker, 6 Feb 2014
Running stock cooler with Artic MX2 thermal paste (only 4!!) managed to overclock to 4 GHz and temperature still a stable 50 Degrees under heavy BF4 multiplayer gaming.

Can't ask for more, especially for the price..

Thanks you gaming gods for this CPU for the mere mortals who can't afford to splash out more than 100 bucks for a decent CPU! This CPU packs great bang for buck and is certainly comparable with the low lying Haswell I5s (which cost 50% more)!!