on 1 December 2013
Around two years ago I purchased the Icy Box IB-RD3264-USE2: in theory the previous version of this model. It has been wonderful: quiet, robust, and problem-free so it was without any concern that I ordered this item - obstinately the latest 4-bag RAID enclosure Icy Box has to offer.

Sadly this hasn't lived up to expectations to the extent that I've had to return it for replacement.

The first thing I noticed on receiving it was that the boxing appeared to have been opened - the clear stickers over the opening had all been cut but then had a new factory seal stuck over them. On opening, it became clear that the item I had received wasn't new: the chassis was badly scratched (not a good look on a nice satin black finish), the black finish on the screws was chipped with the screw heads chewed from use, and the extraction fan had dust in it.

Since it was an urgent order I used it anyway and Amazon was very gracious in sending out a replacement in the meantime. Set-up and use was easy and the transfer speeds obtainable from the USB3 connection are fantastic. The fan, however, is extremely noisy. It sounds like a bad bearing making a slight noise on every rotation. I chalked this down to it's obvious previous use but the replacement (which coincidentally also had the same cut-and-replaced factory seals on the boxing) unfortunately demonstrates the exact same annoying whine.

it isn't loud but it is intrusive and when the fan moves into the higher speeds (automatic based on a thermostat - very clever!), it becomes extremely noticeable. This certainly isn't something you could have sitting quietly under your desk or television! In comparison, the IB-RD3264 (previous model) that I own also has a fan but is absolutely silent - even after more than two years of constant use.

Perhaps Amazon just has a bad batch of these at the moment, or perhaps the quality of these items has genuinely decreased with time, but overall I'm disappointed.

The enclosure works well but it's noisy and feels cheaper than previous Icy Box enclosures I've owned.
on 15 March 2013
It is a black box and operates as such. No software, just plug in your drives, select RAID mode, plugin in usb (infact plug in usb first or it automatically turns off).

Only way to tell what is going on is by the LED's on the front. Would like some admin software to find out status of drives/box. I have this connected using USB3 directly hanging off a NAS. The use of a NAS gives the ICY-BOX a recycle bin which is very useful.

For the price a bargain. Long term use to be evaluated

Found some software which allows admin of box google "jmraidmgrversion0.09.69" for PC Use

This gives status of RAID, email (I cannot get this bit working though, resync etc.

I find this a fit and forget item no issue with formatting mine is in NTFS
on 13 May 2014
It works fine, nice speed, supports huge drives & does everything a RAID enclosure should do, & it's cheap.

However, after using it for around 2/3 of a year, the transformer on the power cable decided it would break, completely randomly. No idea why.

I guess you get what you pay for, but if you want data security, then this isn't for you. If you want an expansion to your current storage on the cheap, then I'd recommend this. They do have a customer support system, who I have contacted, but have yet to receive a reply. Anyway, it works well, aside from the fact that the price is reflected in the hardware.
on 24 March 2014
Easy to set up. Simple HD caddies. Manual slightly confusing because it is quite basic, but could be set up by anyone with a modicum of Computing knowledge. Unobtrusive and stylish. It just works. Used WD red 4Gb drives in RAID 5 config.
on 3 December 2013
This product has vast problems. To name but a few, although it uses NTFS, harddisks formatted by other computers are not recognised, and verse versa. This raises a question on how to recover data in case of hardware failure. The same product may be discontinued so no replacement available. The answer from the support was: we sell this device for 4 to 5 years and have for additional 2 years spare part on stock. Who said German has no sense of humour?
on 14 August 2014
I read all the negative reviews and decided to ignore them. I thought people must surely be over-reacting.

Yeah, no.

It turned up. I opened it all up and plugged it in. It didn't turn on. It was dead on arrival.

I've sent it back and bought a startech unit instead.

DON'T BUY
on 23 April 2014
I returned this and I must say the vendor was most obliging. This is not, as described by the manufacturer, a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. It is rather a Direct Attached Storage (DAS) device since it attaches directly to a computer via USB and not to a router. As I say the vendor was great, its a nice device but not what I wanted.