Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Colour: Black ThunderChange

on 5 May 2013
Overall I would say it was worth to buy one but there are some considerations to take into account when buying one.

I've fitted this car seat rearward facing in a Toyota Auris 2007 for my 6 months old daughter.
I was a bit disappointed about the recline position which is not 100% flat and when she sleeps her head falls on her chest and sideways.
Facing rearward, you may also find it hard to put your baby in as you are obstructed by the seat belt and you'll have about 10 inches space to slip her in through the right door. Most of the time I'll pass her to my wife through the left door as inside there is enough space.
Forward facing will also be a challenge as Toyota thought is a good a idea to have a shorter middle seat belt with different latch system.

Aside from this we're happy with this car seat and the monkey seems to like it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Buying a car seat is one of the most difficult and confusing things in the world. You want safety, you want quality, you need it to be practical and functional. So after weeks of researching we decided our 9 month old baby needed a Group 0+/1 seat to take him up to 4 year.

Persuaded by it's rare front and rear facing capabilities at a budget price as well as all the positive reviews we said hello to the Britax First Class Plus.

Here's our opinion of the seat after using it for several weeks in the rear-ward facing position. I hope it helps to make your mind up.

Is it Easy of Fit and use?
No. The first thing you must do is throw away the dreadful instruction manual. I love fitting flatpack furniture together and electronic gadgets even those from China but I have never in my life come across such a poorly written manual. The manual's numbering system doesn’t correspond to photos several pages away let alone any of the actual text making any sense. I felt drunk trying to read it. I did get better after the 5th attempt.

We gave up following the manually; but thankfully our previous research had led us to two very good videos on Youtube by Kiddicare and by Britax which explain how to front and rear face fit the Britax First Class Plus which I recommend; but unlike them, we didn't have the luxury of having an open studio to demonstrate the product fitting, we had a five door VW Golf.

Adjusting the shoulder straps to the correct height for your babies shoulders was also an unnecessary struggle with various bits having to pulled out, removed and reinserted.

If you do end up with this seat, my suggestion is for two people to fit the car seat, one to merely pull and hold the seat belt tensioner as much as possible so it doesn't `pull back' whilst the other person goes through the motions of wrapping the seat belt around as the Britax gods advise.

Is it Practical?
The worst thing about this car seat (even worse than the fitting you say?) is that part of the installation requires you to permanently hook the seat belt around the car seat reducing the amount of room you have to put your child in to the rear-facing car seat.

You're literally given centimetres to put a child in and out -- imagine trying it without waking them up or bumping their head on your car every single time. Perhaps all these 5 star reviewers have 4x4s or SUVs? DO NOT BUY unless you have very long seat belt straps and LOOSE TENSIONERS otherwise you're going to have a horrible time fitting this in the car without extra help. Don't say you haven't been warned!

Some folks have mentioned passing the child through the other door, that's just not practical. Other have mentioned removing that portion of the seat belt, plopping your child in and then hooking the seat belt. They might have better look with their seat belt but I wasn't giving us an inch to even attempt this without rolling the seat about.

Remember we we're trying this with a 9 month old baby (slightly above average hight, average weight), I can't imagine this with a 15 month old baby.

What's the quality like?
It does feel well padded and comfortable with an insert too for a newborn, but in the first day we'd notice stitching had come undone already (see photo) so I'm not convinced how well this will last until he is 4 years old.

Is it functional?
You can't adjust the tilt position in the rear facing position, it can only be adjusted if in the forward facing position, so if you baby tilts their head forward whilst sleeping which may well be doing at such a young age, this seat is not going to be your friend. I daren't test the fitting in front-facing view, in case I have nightmares.

The silver lining is that I did like the two click system to assure you that your baby is firmly fitted but trying to loosen the belts using the `latch' to remove the baby was always hit and miss and our little one who is pretty placid was annoyed by it too because it took forever to loosen the straps.

DO NOT BUY! I'm perplexed this has so many 4 and 5 star reviews!

On the one hand this car seat is an affordable front and rear-facing seat, installation is forgiveable but the practical and quality flaws bring the ratings down. I can't see myself doing this for 3 more weeks let alone 3 more years.
I would spend more (or less) and look elsewhere and if your car allows, one with ISO-Fix.

Oh and what did we do?
Well, ours has now been returned. I was about to give it the benefit of the doubt and front face it in the hope of increasing its sturdiness and practicalness but I ended up getting the seat jammed (think immovable object, unstoppable force) and took me over an hour to remove. That was the final straw and of it went back to Amazon.

We were lucky in that we found a brand new Maxi-Cosi Pearl Car seat (Black Raven) in an outlet store for just £79 (Usually £180) and then bought an Maxi-Cosi FamilyFix Car seat Base for £60 (usually £150) and although it is only front-facing we're happy to have made that decision and got a very secure, comfortable and quality ISO-Fix compatible seat that appears strong, safe and sturdy enough.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 20 May 2015
Once you've mastered the installation, this is a great car seat. Very comfortable for my 11 month old. It's also very good that it's both forward facing and rear facing. The recline is great for when baby needs to sleep.
on 20 August 2014
once in the car its great but a nightmare the first time putting it in
on 20 November 2015
This is a brilliant product which fits perfectly in out '03 Vauxhall Zafira. The straps are difficult to loosen though meaning putting a little one in the car can be a struggle. I personally have to ask my other half to loosen the straps each time we get in the car but I'll be buying this again for the next child we have. Saves changing the car seats over at 8 months like we had to with my little one.
on 20 November 2015
The seat arrived as promised. Substantial seat although it does take up a lot of room as the baby is in a "high" position so Is able to look out of the window! We have taken the seat out once but did take a photograph of the seat belt fixing just incase we forgot how to secure the seat. A good buy as an additional car seat. No isofix with this seat.
on 4 September 2015
Our 8 month old loves this seat, he seems to find it very comfortable. He did a 4 hour trip to Wales without complaint in it. It is high up which he loves as he can see out the window. This does make it a little tricky to get him in and out but I just tuck the seat belt under the seat whilst doing so and it is much easier.
on 19 February 2014
This car seat is excellent my son is 14 months old and has lots of space,very secure 'its quite high so they can look out of window when driving .The main reason I bought this was it reclines back 3x so they are more comfortable when driving and heads not flopping over getting a stiff neck.i recommend this to anyone :D
on 1 September 2015
I love it! So does my baby :) She always falls asleep in it so clearly she is comfortable. I like mostly the fact that I can adjust the position of the chair ! I definitely recommend this ! I had before another Britax product ( safe sleeper ) and I was also very happy with it! Good quality items!
on 11 February 2014
This is a great car seat, very firm, it is comfortable, baby likes it, it's easy to instal, and it is great value for the money. I would rate it 5 stars, but it is 4 because babys head falls on the chest when she is sleeping. I really like this car seat and would buy it again.