4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read.
Published on 12 Mar. 2013 by finalguy

3.0 out of 5 stars Die for me
So, I am not going to lie to you, this book is a little bit silly. It is scratch the paper small the cheese kinda silly. It was a little cliched, it moved at the speed of a freight train and I am not sure I got everything. It tried to be very smart and sometimes is fell flat on its face.
BUT, sometimes this book managed to get it right.

I have a hidden...
Published 24 months ago by Kate Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 12 Mar. 2013
finalguy (Newport (Wales)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Die For Me: A Novel of the Valentine Killer (Kindle Edition)
4+ Stars. There was sooo much more to this book than the summary let on. It really was a slam-bang story. Although a couple of the twists the reader sees coming, they were handled well and exciting. The only really bad thing I have to say about the story is that it made me think of the last Lord of the Rings movie. You know where you thought it was going to end, then it kept going on several more times and scenes. That's what happened with this book. Just when I thought it was about to end, something else happened, and the story took another even creepier turn and kept on going.

Katherine Cole has been moved to New Orleans in the Witness Protection program after she found out her fiancé was a stone cold serial killer. She actually walked in on him when he was finishing up one of his murders. He escapes, and she is whisked away to a new life for her safety. When women start getting killed in New Orleans in the same fashion, she knows her fiancé, now known as the Valentine Killer, has found her. She decides to take a stand this time, and goes to the police with her information, hoping to help stop the killings. Katherine winds up being protected by, and working closely with the lead detective on the case, Dane Black. Eventually, being in such close quarters cause the inevitable romantic fireworks between the two.

This was a good story, elevated by some nice and unexpected plot twists. There were a few small things that kept it from being an outstanding read; (especially one of the reveals about the killer late in the book that didn't work well for me, and a couple of unprofessional and un-coplike actions by Dane); but all in all, it was a great read. There was one plot twist that I kept thinking was a `red herring' that didn't tie in to the case that wound up ratcheting up the action and taking the story to a whole new level.

I actually like Eden's RS better than I do her PNR; and that's saying a lot, because I'm crazy about her PNR. Recommended, good plotline and good romance. If you've never read Cynthia Eden, this is a good place to start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Die for me, 1 April 2013
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
BUT, sometimes this book managed to get it right.

I have a hidden talent, I can smell plot twists coming from a mile away. Yet there were quite a few moments where this book managed to surprise me.

The truth is that despite the cheese, the clichés and the fall on my sword characters I found this book strangely intriguing and I struggled to put it down. Sure, it was overdone but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Katherine and Dane were good characters (him more than her) but it was the Valentine killer himself that interested me. I found him bizarrely charming. There were a few to many characters and I felt this was written as though it was a movie instead of a book which made thins a smudge confusing as it was harder to remember everyone without seeing their face. But it was enjoyable and interesting. It is not my favourite crime novel but I liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't want to die regretting that I didn't live - stars!, 15 Feb. 2015
I don't want to die regretting that I didn't live - stars!

My first Cythia Eden book and it will not be my last.

Katherine Cole thought she was safe - relocated, changed her name through the help of witness protection - or so she thought....

Sitting in her regular cafe she hears the news on TV - 'her wrists & ankles tied with rope, duct tape over her mouth & stabbed directly in the heart. A single red rose found clutched tight in her hand".....
Katherine's heartbeat seemed to stop - A nightmare, maybe she was dreaming - she didn't want to live through this hell again.
Near 3 years ago Katherine came home early one day, saw blood in her kitchen & thought the worst that her fiance was badly hurt, she calls 911. Looking through the house for her fiance she enters the basement only to find that her fiance is unharmed but standing over a body he was hacking up.
He had vanished before the cops arrived & he was dubbed the Valentine's killer.

But now he's back, found her & hunting the one who got away - he told her "I'll never let you go"

Katherine has been hiding for the last three years & is tired of looking over her shoulder. She is stronger than before, calm, courageous & though scared by how close Valentine is getting she is more determined then ever to stop Valentine - whatever it takes.

She goes to the police station to see detective Dane Black - who was at the recent killing scene. After explaining a few things that she knows about Valentine to him he has his suspicions & after learning on who Katherine really is, Dane is set to get this case solved by any means possible.
Dane is a true cop and won't mix business with pleasure... but the attraction between them is instant & the pull towards Katherine is unstoppable. He knows all too well not to let his emotions get the better of him
"A woman that gorgeous would be deadly"
As the plot & story continues that bond between Katherine & Dane strengthens & Dane will do anything to protect Katherine.

Valentine is a tortuous man & you get to see what drives him. When he learns that Dane is protecting Katherine & sees the intensity growing between them he decides that playtime is over "I'm always watching"

The other characters are important & the way they are used & intertwined are essential to the plot.
I love the way you get all important characters POV it brings so much more to the story.

This book will have you gripped from the first chapter, a perfect balance of thrill, perplexity, & romance.
ARC generously provided via Netgalley, in exchange for the above honest review

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story!!!, 21 Feb. 2015
This is the first book I've read by Cynthia Eden and I really enjoyed it. There was the right amount of suspense and twists and turns and it kept me focused throughout.

The story was fast paced and made me positively question the development of the storyline as you try to figure out who the guilty parties are. The characters were intriguing especially Katherine as you wonder if she really does have anything to do with Valentine's latest kills or is Detective Dane Black correct in his assumption that she is innocent?

I love anything to do with crime profiling so this aspect to the story fascinated me as together you try to figure out the crime scenes and behaviour of the key players.

Valentine was particularly intriguing, especially the way he spoke and how he managed to tie the police in knots time after time.

All in all a great read with a cleverly written and thought out plot. For me the ending ran out of steam a bit with the exception of the ultimate focus and I found myself losing interest but despite that it was still an enjoyable story.

Copy provided by Netgalley and the author in return for an honest review.

Reviewed on behalf of Jezabell Girl & Friends...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced romantic suspense, 10 Mar. 2015
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a romantic suspense novel which starts quickly and then picks up pace. It is based on an interesting premise - that a serial killer's fiancée knew nothing of his crimes and then has to pick up the pieces of her life and start again. Just as she is beginning to do that the killer targets her again - she feels surrounded by death but she can't always get the help that she needs because so many people feel sure that she must have known what he was doing. I rather wished at times that the book concentrated more on this angle and less on the instant lust between Katherine and Dane because that was fairly predictable but the plot was less so.

The book is full of puzzles and surprises and the author packs a lot in by having one action scene after another. I felt that it mostly worked although the romance element did feel a bit unnecessary. Some of this is quite gory and a lot of it is nicely creepy. A good read for those who like romantic suspense.

I received a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew!, 9 Oct. 2014
Mrs. S. M. Perry (warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
Well what can I say. I was shocked by this book, it wasn't what I was expecting! It started off at a normal pace then all of a sudden it went BANG!! It got so exciting that my heart was beating fast for most of the book. I guessed a couple of things that happened but the twists and turns are so brilliantly written that it threw me. I ended up reading until late and afterwards I couldn't get the characters out of my head, especially the Valentine killer. How could someone so evil have me thinking about him so much? he was so charming and the twisted love he had for Katherine was actually sweet in the sickest way. I loved all the characters. Dane was awesome and someone I would definitely want on my side to keep me safe from a deranged serial killer. The sexual tension and then the sex scenes between Dane and Katherine were scorching and sweet all in one. Awesome book and I definitely recommend it I just wish I hadn't read it before bedtime because my dreams were interesting and not in a good way! For me this was a 5 star read.

3.0 out of 5 stars good to read on the train, 5 May 2013
I enjoyed this book - it is a combination of crime and romance. Certainly not the greatest story line, but enjoyable to want to see what happens next.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller, 10 Oct. 2014
Fiona Hunt (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I picked up Mommy, May I?, it was suggested to read Die For Me. I thought ok, this might sound like a great read. Since I've been listening to the story, I am kinda liking the story. The way the story goes through back and forth with some sexual scenes that are like woah lol.

Katherine Cole is a frightened woman with a past. She was a witness to a murder. The murderer was her ex fiance. She never saw who the murderer was when she moved to New Orleans. Who would of thought the killer was who they found out it was. A good thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars well written, 2 Oct. 2014
Enjoyed every page well constructed .Kept you guessing who were the goodies and who were the baddies . Look forward to her next book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 21 Feb. 2013
Sandy S. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
REVIEW: DIE FOR ME is a contemporary suspense storyline of murder and love. And the sociopathic mind that cannot separate the two.

Cynthia takes the reader on a journey of twists and turns, revelations and obsessions-a serial killer with a need to protect one woman at all costs; and a homicide detective with the same mission-but with a completely different set of morals and obligations. Love comes at a cost.

We follow Katherine as she endeavors to start a new life but the ritualistic murder of a television reporter hits too close to home and Katherine knows that the Valentine Killer has found her again. But going to the police brought more complications when she became their number one suspect. There was only one detective who knew that Katherine Cole was no murderer.

Cynthia intertwines the lives of many of the NOPD detectives, investigators, medical examiners, family and friends-and each will be affected and come into contact with a killer-but is there a copycat doing the work of the Valentine Killer. As the number of murder victims increase, so too, do the accusations, personal vendettas and plots of revenge. And each new victim is somehow linked to Katherine. Is the killer trying to send a message or set Katherine up for the fall?

The attraction between Dane and Katherine was immediate, but Dane knew that sleeping with a potential witness and possible suspect adds a whole other dimension to the investigation. But the pull between Dane and Katherine was obvious to everyone and even the killer kept his eye on Katherine at all times.

DIE FOR ME is a well-written and amazing storyline that you think you have figured out from the start. Although there were certain aspects of the storyline that were easily guessed there are a couple of twists -the question is not so much as whom but how? There is a strong family of secondary characters who play an integral part throughout the storyline. The characters were well developed and you knew that at some point each will have a story to tell.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot)com