4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying finale
Published 12 months ago by Paper Doll

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable conclusion to the trilogy
Published 2 days ago by Catherine (The Book Parade)

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying finale, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Reached: 3/3 (Matched) (Paperback)
Everyone has dystopia fever. Thanks to the Hunger Games, a huge number of YA dystopians have made their way into our bookshops and the Matched series is just one of many. This series takes place in a world where everything and everyone is controlled. Cassia's rebellion began in Matched and in Crossed she finally found and joined the Rising, and in Reached we find not just Cassia and Ky secretly working for the Rising, but also Xander. Cassia is a Sorter and supposed to continue the pretense of her Match with Xander, who is now a Healer, while Ky is working as Pilot for the Rising, alongside Indie. All three main characters narrate this story, allowing us to see the rebellion from all angles.

If you've read the rest of the Matched series you'll know that Condie's novels aren't action-packed. They're always interesting and mostly gripping, but that's because of Condie's thoughtful writing style. There's something really satisfying about reading a story that feels thoughtful and planned out, where the characters take the time to think about what's happening and consider what it all means, rather than just going from action scene to action scene. Reached doesn't disappoint in this way.

The problem here, though, is that this style of writing doesn't have as much of an impact unless the characters have distinctive voices. If you've read my review of Matched you'll know that one of my issues with this series, as much as I love it, is that the characters feel a little underdeveloped. Take Ky for instance; he comes across as a gentle, compassionate guy who wants to change the world. But given his history, I find this hard to believe; I'm sure that after everything he's been through he would be a bit more rough around the edges, which would actually make him quite an attractive YA hero. Likewise I would expect Cassia to be far more bitter than she is. So given their lack of distinctiveness, they have a tendency to all blend into one, with the result that if you changed a few key details here and there, it could be any of the three main characters narrating. Perhaps for this reason some of the twists of this book weren't as hard-hitting as they should have been. Another problem for me was that I often had trouble remembering what happened in Crossed, or even Matched. It's been a while since I read either and Reached refers frequently to the events of Crossed in particular without giving much explanation as to what actually happened for anyone in need of a reminder.

In spite of those minor criticisms, Reached is actually really enjoyable. It may not be fast-paced but there is plenty going on and the three have such different roles in the Rising that you get a good idea of what's going on in so many parts of the rebellion. I really enjoyed Cassia's interaction with the archivists and watching her pass on what Ky has taught her to others. I was also relieved to see Xander finally begin to move on and developing a friendship with someone other than Cassia and Ky. You'll get a lot of closure from reading this book, and there are a few surprises along the way, and it was probably this that I enjoyed most about the book. It's a well-written, interesting finale with plenty of politics and lots of loose ends finally tied up. If you enjoyed Matched and Crossed, Reached is a must-read.

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable conclusion to the trilogy, 20 Aug 2014
It seems to me that the Matched series by Ally Condie is somewhat of a ‘marmite’ series. I know lots of people who absolutely love it, but I have also met people who find it boring. As for me, I have always kind of hovered somewhere in between – not quite sure if this is a series I love, or just like. Still, I was very excited to read the Reached and see how the trilogy concluded.

I knew I was going to enjoy Reached as soon as I started it and I happily sat back and waited for the substantial amount of pages (Reached is a rather lengthy book) that lay invitingly ahead of me to unfold with surprises, mysteries and romance.

It had been a while since the last time I had visited the world of Matched i.e. since I had read Crossed and it was nice to return to Ally Condie’s fluid and poetic writing style, which is just so lovely to read. It is one thing that even those who criticise the Matched trilogy for insubstantial plot or whatever often praise – the way Condie writes so beautifully.

I like the way poetry is such a big part of the Matched trilogy, and I think it helps YA readers, who are mostly teens, appreciate and understand the unique beauty of poetry, and its value, a bit more. For example, at school we are currently having to study a lot of poetry in English for our GCSE exam and we generally find it tedious; however, the other day, we were studying ‘Do not go gentle into that good night,’ which, as you’ll know if you’ve read the books, is a poem that features prominently in this series and the several of my friends and I who had read Matched were all actually quite excited and engaged that lesson! (For once!)

No time is wasted in the opening of Reached and we are sucked straight into the exciting build-up of a revolution. What I really liked about Reached is how we get to know Xander more. Whereas the previous two books have focused mainly on Cassia and Ky, Xander was treated as a character of equal importance in Reached, and this time we also had chapters written from his perspective. Although I’ve never really had a ‘side’ in the Cassia-Ky-Xander love triangle, as I got to know Xander more, and as he was given a chance to prove himself as a character more, I began to really like him and I really felt sorry for him. In fact, by the end of Reached I think I would say that I definitely liked Xander more than Ky.

Beautifully written, as Condie’s novels always are, and a very enjoyable conclusion to the Matched trilogy. I look forward to seeing what the author has in store for us next now that this series is over!

3.0 out of 5 stars General sequel., 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Reached: 3/3 (Matched) (Paperback)
This is the final book in the series and has lost some of the plot, the first book was the best however many sequels are not as good as the orginal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reached, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Reached (Matched) (Kindle Edition)
No where near as brilliant as the first. To be honest I skipped huge chunks and still got the gist. A very tedious read and an expected ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 9 Jan 2014
Awesome! I realized hardly half way through reading this book that it is a well crafted romance story told in a straight forward manner. I like the way Condie brought out the thoughts, feelings and actions of the characters. She did it in a wonderful way. The story flows smoothly, the writing is at best lyrical and the plot is good. I find the descriptive element amazing and Condie made effective use of dialogue. The narrative got me hooked, an effect I think the book will have on other readers. It reminds me of some of the stories in The Shades of Fire. Way to go Condie!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Reached, 29 Aug 2013
I'd been debating about whether to pick this book up for quite a while. I loved Matched, didn't enjoy Crossed, so I didn't really know whether it was worth picking the last book up. I decided to anyways, so that I could finish the series and get it over with. I enjoyed this one more than Crossed, but it still wasn't amazing. I found myself having to push myself to read this one. I just wasn't all that interested in the story line - apart from the finding the cure bit, that was the only part I found interesting. I wasn't a major fan of the characters (except Xander), so it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.

So this whole book revolves around the Rising trying to take down the Society, and they get their chance when a virus starts spreading and the Rising have the cure. But what they didn't plan for was the virus to mutate and their cure didn't work on the mutation. Cassia is working in Central doing sorting for the Rising; Xander is in the Camas Providence acting as an Official for the Rising; and Ky and Indie are flying planes for the Pilot. The story also revolves around Ky and Cassia's desperation to be together again.

Cassia was alright in this one, not my favourite character but I didn't hate her. She was just... there. Wandering about, trading, sorting, and thinking about Ky and Xander. I don't like how she stringed Xander along for so long. It's clear he has strong feelings for her, and she never told him that she didn't have feelings for him, so Xander always had hope that they'd get together and I didn't like Cassia for doing that.

I wasn't a massive fan of Ky either in this one. He was supposed to be helping the Rising and the Pilot, but all he could think about was Cassia. When he was delivering cures, he was planning to take the plane to Central to find Cassia and all I could think was "How selfish is that?". There were people dying and being infected by the virus and he was thinking of taking of with a plane full of cures just to find Cassia? Yeah, that was very selfish.

I loved Xander though. Xander was in Camas pretending to be an Official, and when the virus broke out he was brought in as a Physic. So Xander is working first hand with the virus and is the first one to notice the difference when the mutation starts. Xander puts all of his energy into finding a cure for the virus and I loved that he did that. Xander was determined that he was going to find a cure and help people - especially after his friend Lei contracts the mutation.

The story line of the cure was interesting. I was intrigued by the fact that there were people immune to the mutation and the original virus, so it was interesting to see all the research and studying that went into finding the cure, because those people were obviously doing something right. The story of the Pilot and the Rising didn't interest me that much. There was so much crossover between the Society and the Rising that they were basically the same people. It made me wonder if the rebelling was even worth it since there were Society infiltrates in the Rising. It just seemed pointless when I found that out. I was pretty upset about what happened with Indie. Indie was a fantastic character and I just wish we'd gotten to see more of her in this book. The ending was nice for Xander. I was happy that he'd finally managed to get over Cassia and find his happy ending. It was nice.

Overall, this wasn't a great book but it wasn't terrible either. I enjoyed parts of it and had to force myself through other parts. I am glad that I finished the series though, but I'm disappointed at how quickly it went downhill after the first book for me. But it was a nice end to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Reached (Matched) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Reached (Matched) (Kindle Edition)
Predictable, average book. disappointing end to the series. Not necessary to read this book if you've read the other two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a teen audience, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Reached (Matched) (Kindle Edition)
I know I'm not the target audience for these books but they are so entertaining. It's not always easy to read them and there are times I felt like screaming at the characters at the idiocy they were displaying, but hey, they're teenagers, they can't be logical all the time!

Hated the ending - really really hated it - but I had to admit it was a good ending for what had been going on. If you've read the first two - there's really no point fighting against the urge to buy this one. It's well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Reached (Matched) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book,completely. The only thing I would have liked would have been confirmation ---(Spoiler Alert)--- of Indie's death or survival seeing as no one actually found her body and she was such a brilliant and interesting character to read about.

Reached (Matched)