5.0 out of 5 stars Lili - enduingly sweet
Leslie Caron is the stranded young woman alone in France. A chance meeting with a slick magician from the visiting circus enthralls her and she follows him finding employment in a puppet show. As she becomes mesmerised with the caddish magician she is blind to the real love the puppet master has for her.

So delightfully lovely - full of pathos in the puppet...
Published on 23 Sep 2009 by R. B. Duenas Leon

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall disappointng video transfer
Published on 19 Mar 2011 by PaulB_30

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall disappointng video transfer, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Lili [Spanish Import] (DVD)
As far as the quality of this film's content, it is excellent. It is well-produced, well-acted by an excellent cast with a wonderfully touching story. However, the video quality of this DVD release is quite poor. I cannot say with assurance if it was transferred from video tape, however I would feel confident in saying that it was not digitally remastered from film, as the image lacks the crispness one usually expects from DVD.

The colour is very inconsistent, vacillating from over-saturated (often to the point of bleeding) to somewhat washed out (aberrations quite common to old dubbed video tapes), sometimes doing so in the same scene. It is interesting that the authentic Turner-MGM/UA VHS release is of similar quality as far as the variations in colour (even changing hue in the same scenes as on the DVD), although there is very little, if any, over-saturation on the tape version.

Sadly, this is another great movie that has not been released on DVD in with the quality it deserves. As there is nothing on the packaging that indicates any connection to the studio that actually produced the film, it reminds me of the reproductions of public domain material one might find on DVD at the local bargain store (although the cover artwork is of a better quality) and, in my opinion, at £19.84 this item is severely over-priced. Overall, a big disappointment. Unless you are desperate to own this title on DVD, regardless of the video quality, I would recommend that you save your money. I wish I had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lili - enduingly sweet, 23 Sep 2009
R. B. Duenas Leon "Warrior Queen" (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lili (VHS) (1953) (VHS Tape)

So delightfully lovely - full of pathos in the puppet characters. Leslie Caron is well-suited to the childlike yet maturing Lily - wide-eyed and conscious at the same time.

A story about growing up, courage and the risk that is love. Watch it with your children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheres the restored DVD, 24 July 2010
This review is from: Lili (VHS) (1953) (VHS Tape)
Lili is a minor Classic that will bring a tear to the eye of anyone capable of emotion, So why no DVD restoration?

Update on Lili now have the WB Archive Collection version. Picture and sound are very good, but doubt that its had a restoration. The DVD also seems to be region free so added bonus. What a wonderful film. WOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars hidden treasure, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Lili (DVD)
A beautiful musical so well acted. Mel Ferrer is adorable and Leslie Caron is endearing. a personal favourite. It is amazing this musical isn't more well known as it should be up there as one of the top MGM musicals

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, 24 May 2011
Articulate Mrs J. Cox (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lili [Spanish Import] (DVD)
I am over the moon about this. I noted other people's comments with regard to the colour, but didn't find it a problem on my copy. The only slight difficulty I did have was to try to get to the English translation. It took a few goes as my Spanish is rusty but, once there, it was all worth it. The proof is in the delight it gave to my 3-year old granddaughter who was as entranced as I was at her age. The entire time she was with me, she kept asking for 'Lili again' and even learned to sing the song. Magic and timeless!

5.0 out of 5 stars The film was as good as I remember it when first released as a ..., 13 Aug 2014
MACAVITY (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lili (DVD)
The film was as good as I remember it when first released as a film long ago. Very well acted.
Paul Gallico's stories are marvellously told and suitable for all ages.
HOWEVER, this version was produced for a Spanish market, and the seller should tell all UK purchasers which Spanish buttons to press to get the original English soundtrack. Without that information, and not speaking Spanish myself, it was all Double Dutch until I subsequently obtained this information.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lili (DVD)
As it's a Spanish version of the movie, I am having trouble translating it into English. I keep trying without success. Unfortunately I don't speak/understand Spanish. There seem to be six options to translate and three just don't 'work' at all! The other three are all in Spanish. I will keep trying but for the very first time in my dealing with Amazon I am disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy experience, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Lili [DVD] [1953] [NTSC] (DVD)
Dated of course, but everything I remember from when I saw it in the cinema all those years ago. This version is a clean copy, both in vision and sound. Having burbled on about it for ages to my wife, a very discerning film lover, I am relieved to say she thorougly enjoyed it. "Hi Lili Hi Lo" is the only song and some of the acting etc is stilted and the costumes laughable, but just lose yourself in whimsy for an hour or so - I bet you go "ah" at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lili (DVD)
been looking for this for my mother for ages she had it on video recorded from tv many years ago. she loves it thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lili, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lili (DVD)
A fabulous musical. Really sweet, a great story.

Would recommend to all my girlfriends (not my husband, not enough action)!!

Very good delivery service especially as it came from Spain.

Thank you.