4.0 out of 5 stars Speedy, versatile little machine.
This is a really useful little machine. It's versatile, silent, and packs a lot of functionality for the price.

Published 20 months ago by J. Artus

3.0 out of 5 stars Small and okay.
The stick performs very well for it's size. Though the wifi is not the best. It's a okay fun device.
Published 8 months ago by TjC

4.0 out of 5 stars Speedy, versatile little machine., 20 Nov 2012
J. Artus (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX Rockchip RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Smart TV Stick (Personal Computers)

It comes with a USB OTG cable, mini HDMI to regular HDMI cable, and 1 amp mini-usb adaptor. This unfortunately has a non-UK plug, but I've powered the unit using a spare power supply. It's supplied with Android 4.1 as described, although there are a few minor issues around wifi reception and display scaling. These can be fixed by flashing an updated firmware to the device, an easy process with plenty of guides out there.

Performance is good, and after customising the appearance with a custom launcher, it looks great. It plays HD video, although note that the actual resolution is 1280x672. This is then scaled to whatever resolution you select, so 1080p video is somewhat wasted. You can connect a usb flash drive or external hard drive to the OTG port and play directly from that.

Overall, a great little machine for web/e-mail/social media with gaming and video a handy bonus.

If this ran at 1.6Ghz as advertised (it's actually set to 1Ghz by default, and would benefit from a bit of a speed boost), had bluetooth support and a UK power adaptor, this would be a five star item.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 13 May 2013
Better than I thought it would be, Andriod on my TV, even my Hotmail emails. Quite easy to set up as well, + a good WiFi reception, considering where I have put it. Quite impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars its really good, 8 Aug 2013
works well easy to set up and use and reall good fun have use of android on the big screen just plug it in and it work straight away no fuss

4.0 out of 5 stars A very clever device, 14 May 2013
It does what it says on the box - turn a dumb TV into a smart TV. My only criticism is the lack of adequate instructions which meant setting it up was very time consuming. For ex-pats like me it's a cheap way to view UK TV whilst freeing up the laptop/computer. I definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mk808, 29 Nov 2013
It does an excellent job for the money, only had one problem with it, I use VPN's, this android does not like them.I have yet to get one to successfully let me use a vpn, therefore if you want to watch films or tv programs, you can't. As the government is now censoring the internet to quote "help prevent copywrite theft".I wonder why?

3.0 out of 5 stars Small and okay., 17 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!!!!!!!, 24 April 2013
Just received my unit and I am over the moon with it.

It was extremley easy to set up just plug in the HDMI cable to your TV or in my case the second HDMI port on my computer monitor, plug the power usb into the mains and any old USB keyboard and mouse and you are ready to go.

Using my new Android Mini PC right now to type this review.

I admit I bought this on a whim or as a treat to myself as the price didn't break the budget as I already have a LG Smart TV and a Samsung Smart TV (in the bedroom) but I am so blown away by the sheer speed and quality of this little machine and the ability to control it from my Android powered smart phone I will be using this one for my living room tv and will be buying another right after this review for my living room tv. The overall feel of Android is much better than the smart interface offered by any of the two tv sets I have and perhaps I am biased being a long time Android user on my phone but I really feel using this for steaming movies over my home network, using Netflix and Lovefilm let along the other multitude of on demand services such as Iplayer etc is so much better on this device compared to what is built into my tvs.

As I said the unit boots up very very quickly uses very little power as its powered by USB and I can actually power the unit with a USB port on the back of my TV so no messy cables hanging down under the tv so its perfect for those of you that have wall mounted tvs and dont like power cables or connector cables hanging down your wall under the tv.

Of course being an Android powered device you have a world of apps available to you so all the usual classics such as Angry Birds etc can be played on your tv.

Sorry I know I am gushing like a child over this but I think I am going to go out right now and buy a cheap monitor with a HDMI port and order a third Android Mini PC for use in the kitchen... do you think the wife would like that I mean it can offer up internet radio, steamed music, tv and movies and she can use it for recipes and the like?

Wifi connection took literally 4 seconds to type in my passkey and connect.

Bluetooth works very well and again very fast to connect my phone to the unit via bluetooth.

Perhaps not the most professional of reviews but I promise you I am very techy and a network engineer.

So if like me you were holding of buying one of these thinking its a cheap and nasty device that will be sketchy think again. It appears to be very well made and everything just works straight out of the box with no nonsense or trouble and my only regret is not buying three at the same time because now I have to wait for the other two to be delivered!

Hope this helps someone

5.0 out of 5 stars The best little gadget I've owned in years, 23 Dec 2012
Well this mini pc is absolutely a fantastic bit of kit, it's dual core processor handles everything I throw at it and I had a 32gig memory card from my BlackBerry so now I have 32 plus the internal 8gig trust me you will never want to use a desktop pc or laptop again..great product at a great price

Update..

they have just released the latest update to this item which makes it perform even faster and also it has true 1080p Resolution also included in the update are few nice add-ons such as it being rooted so you can overclock it if you desire i just love this little machine i'm never off of it great product and makes a very Dumb telly very very smart indeed. i feel bad for all those people who changed their sets to get the same or less features for all of that extra cash

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but efficient, 11 Jan 2013
It does just what it`s supposed to do. That is make my tv a smart one. I took it from the box and five minutes later it was up and running.

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BUY FROM AFUNTA, 9 Oct 2013
Ghio (london, UK) - See all my reviews
While their service is ok, their product is a different variant from the mainstream thus creating a heap of problems.

If you are looking to buy this Mk808b you have probably have done your homework already, and planning to enhance this product buy putting a custom rom on it. Well not the case with afunta ones. They haave changed their wifi and bluetooth chips and if you put a custom rom you will have no connectivity what so ever, no wifi and no bluetooth. No custom rom has ever been written with drivers for this chip. I found one that only has wifi and no bluetooth, it was done for Imito sticks by Finless Bob. All mk808b custom roms from Finless Bob work without wifi and bluetooth.

I have contacted Afunta to try to get them to tell me the name of that wifi and bluetooth chip, maybe I can get a rom for it. They said no, because they dont give their secrets to competition, although this stick is a blatant copy of Geekbuy's MK808b, who made it first and also make roms for it. When I asked Afunta for the original rom they gave me one that doesnt work at all. I should have bought directly from Geekbuy, I would have got an original product and guaranteed software support.

I bought 2 sticks from Afunta and both are the same. You either stick with standard rom and lie yourself you have an HD android TV box or put a real HD custom rom with no bluetooth support on it.