Published on 16 Nov 2012 by Phillip Spencer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, but I doubt many can write 10k words
Rachel Aaron's book on improving your word count is an awfully good read, jammed with several aspect to improve not how you write your book, but how you can speed up the process. Even though it has a chapter on plotting,I believe it won't help you with writing whatever book you wish to or are writing at this moment.

That said,the small "gems" within the book,...
Published 22 months ago by Alexander Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, focused - most useful "how to write" book I have read in a long time, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love (Kindle Edition)
This brief (novella length) e-Book has to be the most useful "how to write" book I have read in a long time. Written by fantasy author Rachel Aaron, it is clear, straightforward and pretty easy to follow as a writing method. Having struggled to wrangle the first draft of my first novel into shape all I can say is I wish I had read it before I started writing... but I'm glad I have now read it before commencing another novel!

The author shows how she went from writing 2k to 10k words a day while producing a five volume fantasy epic. Part 1 focuses on the triangle of knowledge, time and enthusiasm. While the word-count levels Rachel achieves sounded high to me initially the book reveals the amount of preparation, planning and working out that goes in beforehand - knowledge of what one will write. These are word counts while actually writing the novel rather than something achieved every day. That is not to diminish what she achieves but to highlight that her method is to be well-prepared by working out plot outline, character sketches, time-line and setting before starting to write. This approach avoids meandering off and ensures focus while writing. Good time management supports this, as does enthusiasm - if the writer is not enjoying what they are writing why are they doing it? What is the likelihood their readers will enjoy the final product?

Part 2 is longer and gives a chapter by chapter focus on the topics of plot, characters who write their own story, structure, making each scene count and, finally, editing. Each chapter gave me ideas on how better to approach my next writing project. How to edit more effectively also gives me hope for also being able to salvage my first novel!

Rachel Aaron's method is very structured throughout so may not appeal to all writers. In the chapter looking at the three act structure she refers to herself as a "story architect" (rather than a "whimsical artist"). However, even those looking for a looser approach will, I believe, find value in this book, if not during the story creation then during the editing stage.

It is nice to see that the author is also an advocate of Scrivener, my favourite writing tool. She provides some tips to use it more effectively within her method. For me, it has changed how I use the outliner mode to make use of chapter word counts and the synopsis feature as a scene map.

At an Amazon UK price of just 77 pence (or 99 cents in US) this e-book is ridiculously cheap - if you own a Kindle and want to write (any genre not just fantasy and SF) then I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Jan 2013
Mrs B (North West England) - See all my reviews
I started reading this book last night and just finished now. It was really helpful. I do a lot of the things that Rachel talked about with regards to plotting my novels before writing them and I consider myself a fast writer but I didn't know that this was the reason. Funnily, I bought this book because I wanted to write faster but it was actually the section on editing that helped me the most. I am currently stuck on one of my books. It's finished but there is a lot wrong with it but I just haven't been able to motivate myself to fix it. With what I have learned from 2k to 10k I feel a lot more optimistic and will give it another go. 2k to 10k is a gem, a very useful resource for any writer. The tips are really good, and it's a quick, easy read. I'm sure I will refer to it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical guide easy to read with some excellent tips., 28 Nov 2012
Apollon "Pollmak" (Caterham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you are new to writing, this book will help you with planning your first draft and getting your word count up. I like the tone of the book and the practical advice. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An 'amazing creative landslide', 6 Dec 2012
I'm delighted that I downloaded this book, within hours of reading the opening chapter my own output increased. Beautifully formatted, conversational prose, which is accessible, informative and above all, effective, yet, to use the author's expression, is `an amazing creative landslide'. Containing a shout out for Scrivener, which I bought, installed, but have not used, I shall certainly be doing so on Rachel Aaron's suggestion. If you are in need of a productive push, buy this book. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Writing Isn't Easy!, 17 July 2014
clahain (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
Fantasy author Rachel Aaron first presented the method she used for drastically increasing her daily word count in a guest post written for the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America website. The feedback encouraged her to write this short, useful book. But writers looking for some secret key to writing at supernatural speed and with little need for revision will be disappointed. According to Aaron, increased productivity is built on extensive preparation. So much preparation, it could be said that the reason Aaron can compose her novels so fast is because she's done all the real work ahead of time.

Aaron advises writers to carefully analyze their work habits to pinpoint the when, where, and how of their best working conditions. No point in working late if you can't keep your eyes open after ten. Or working at home if you're the type who can't settle down if there's a dirty dish in the sink...or if there isn't, you feel compelled to use one and then wash it!

Once you have the best conditions for a work session figured out, Aaron suggests keeping a log of how many words you write in the time you've allotted and analyze the results. Are your sessions too long, so that you're productivity starts off strong but then peters off? Are they too short, so that by the point your revving up to the good stuff, you run out of time?

All of this analysis and exploration is just a prelude to the real heavy lifting: planning the actual writing of your project ahead of time. Aaron is a proponent of outlining. Serious and detailed outlining. She doesn't begin writing a novel until is outlined chapter by chapter and scene by scene. Working in this way, any given day's writing is already done--whether via scribbled notes or in your head--and simply pours out when you sit down. This should, according to Aaron, result in a marked increase in the number of words produced in a single session. This word count doesn't include revising the work, though, having been planned in such detail, first drafts will be far more polished and require less tinkering. Even so, Aaron also provides her method for revising with speed and efficiency.

If you have the discipline necessary to track and evaluate your writing habits and apply the results with consistency, Aaron's book will help you. But it won't instill you with drive or inspiration. That you still have to provide all on your own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, but I doubt many can write 10k words, 5 Feb 2013

That said,the small "gems" within the book, I'm talking about exercises to attempt, are worthy to try.

I think this book will inspire most writers, especially those with a will to really write. I am now working on a screenplay and novel with the help of this book, though I must say my word count has not increased. Early days yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more to this book than the headline title suggests, 30 Nov 2014
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I'd heard about this book quite a long time before I got round to reading it, mostly hearing people being disparaging that one might be expected to churn out a certain number of words like a machine, and so my expectations weren't high. But then as my first ever attempt at NaNoWriMo approached, I thought I'd have a quick read, and was really pleasantly surprised to find it much better than I expected. She writes intelligently and persuasively about how to increase one's wordcount via effective planning, as well as on many other aspects of writing, Lots of gems to take away and remember here, including plenty of reassurance for writers who are struggling in any way. One of the most memorable aspects of it for me was her focus on the importance of writing what you are passionate about - and her observation that if you're really struggling with a piece, maybe it's just that you don't like it, and would therefore be better to ditch it for the sake of something else that you really do want to write. Great stuff. Really glad that I read it, and I suspect I'll return to it often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, 23 Aug 2013
I've recently started writing short stories as a hobby. There are any number of 'how to write a novel' guidebooks out there. Ironically - I've found most of them to be unreadable. This one is different. It was engaging, covers basic ideas in a way I found understandable, and it outlines authorial techniques that work for me.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and inspiring, 20 Feb 2013
This easy to read little e-tome will set you up for blasting through your next magnum opus. Much great practical advice about how to up that word count until your fingers are flying. Do you want to knock out a novel in 10 days- this is where you learn how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Enthusiastic and Enjoyable, 4 Feb 2013
Thanks for this - a lovely little book that I would recommend as essential reading for any would-be writer (and for a lot of full timers too). Some absolute gems from someone who walks her talk. I reckon that even if you had no intention to write, then this book would inspire you to do so.