on 18 June 2012
This book was easy to read, straight forward and focussed on the the one area of the swim technique that can give the greatest improvements - the high elbow pull. Everything that Sheila discusses in the book makes sense, and once you've read it, you'll wonder why you were concerntrating on any other area of your technique. I have already started putting her advise into practise and seen my times/efficiency in the pool improve. A no-nonsense, easy to digest book that will help you speed up in the pool.
on 1 December 2012
It's all about getting the best from your freestyle. I found it well argued, very clear and very sensible. Looking for reasons why my own swimming was crap, despite lots of effort, I think I found them here. It shows you exactly what to devote your efforts to and demonstrates over and over where the greatest payback lies. Includes drills and strength training ideas to get you moving in the right direction. Lots of swimming articles give you a number of things to focus on and leave you unsure as to the relative importance of each. This book is a lot more single-minded and much the better for it. I like it a lot.
on 9 October 2013
This is a great book for improving the technique of any swimmer - by concentrating on proven methods and empirical evidence Sheila Taormina makes a good case for being careful with "long-glide" techniques (such as Total Immersion). However, in myview she unfairly lambasts such techniques as by not recognising that TI has already been applauded by endurance swimmimg coaches and Triathlon coaches (such as Joe Friel) for being a very efficient technique. I challenge Sheila to look at the technique of the current 1500m champion, Sun Yang, and not see a close resemblance to the TI technique (ie 2 beat kick nearly all the way, major emphasis on the glide section of the stroke, and above all a very smooth and slippery rotation that uses the hip to drive the body forward). Furthermore, Terry McLaughlin of TI makes it clear that advances in speed require a refinement of the technique and that sprinting requires a more power-dependant method to overcome efficiency thresholds caused by the exponential increase in drag caused by the increase in speed. All that said, this is a book that I ejoyed and continue to refer to as a means of refining my catch, pull/push and recovery part of my freestyle.
on 27 September 2013
excellent book and very well worth a read, I am a triathlete so we are a little obsessed with the catch in our sport, (save legs, use arms) and this book explains the catch perfectly and how to execute it, would recommend this to anyone that wonders what they should be doing in the pool, this will let you know in detail.
on 27 July 2013
There are no secrets to swimming, this book lays out the basics in a well ordered simple to understand way, many coaches talk about the importance of high elbows but fail to mention the importance of the whole stroke and the dynamics of it, this book does that and does it well, it should be part of every swim coaches library, I would definitely recommend to anybody who wants to swim well
on 21 May 2014
I knew the mass of coaching advice I had received had helped me swim with less effort and build stamina, but I wasn't going faster. This book gave me immediate results as it concentrated on what I knew was lacking and was seeking:what propels me through the water?
on 26 July 2015
Little on the end of the stroke, breathing, rotation or kicking. Is this 80/20 rule a way to write a shorter book ? Author has brilliant experience and a nice way with words so more anecdotes would have been good. A big knock of the Total Immersion method that encourages gliding (this also gets a bashing in Swim Smooth book). Off to the pool to work on my high elbows and get my turnover faster.
on 16 February 2015
Just what I needed after being disappointed with what I could achieve through total immersion ideas. After getting gains from swimsmooth ideas this was a great extra benefit withh it's concentration on the catch and pull phase.
on 3 February 2015
Sheila's style is very straight forward, no-nonsense and makes sense. I've already seen an improvement in my times in the 3 weeks since reading the book and starting to implement some of her recommendations. Very chuffed
on 3 January 2014
My swimming buddy an I refer to her by name and we are both so impressed, but you do need to go a step further and buy the work-out cards which get you using the technique and then it all begins to make good sense.