5.0 out of 5 stars No cheese in this mouse story!
Published on 30 Oct. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars A road trip tale for children
This Pinnochio-esque tale for older children written in 1967 of a clockwork Daddy mouse and his child is a modern children's classic. Deservedly so, it features a road trip for the discarded and broken wind-up mice full of adventure, peril and featuring a nasty rat-baddy, also much happier episodes where the mice make many new friends; all wrapped up in philosophical...
Published on 5 April 2009 by Annabel Gaskell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No cheese in this mouse story!, 30 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
I had this book as a child and read it several times - and still remember it very well many years later. The thing that really stayed with me was that it was a sad and moving story and was very different to all the "cheesy happy ending" type stories. it made me realise that not everything in the world was wonderful especially if you are a clockwork mouse!)I still have a copy of this wonderful book and will keep it for my daughter to read when she is older.

5.0 out of 5 stars * * * * * (That's ANOTHER 5 stars!), 23 Oct. 2000
Jason Mills "jason10801" (Accrington, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I read this twice as a kid, once more as a grown-up, and it's about time I read it again. Nothing remotely schmultzy about this. A wind-up mouse and his son are torn from their toy-shop world and forced to make their way, through war, a winter at the bottom of a pond, and slavery under Manny Rat. If there is redemption here, it is hard-won and difficult; if there are villains, they face the justice of their own judgement. This is such a profound yet accessible story that it's a minor miracle, and it's so good to see a book for children that doesn't begin by assuming they're stupid. A rightful classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think you have it tough?, 28 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
Talking animals and toys. Syrupy sentimental fairytale, you think? Wrong.
This is astonishingly, heartbreakingly beautiful, with the most arduous, no make that harsh, journey you've ever done.
Will have you in tears, no question.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, unique and very imaginitive book., 29 April 2000
By A Customer
The mouse and his child are a tin wind-up toy who get thrown out into the world when they are thrown on the garbage heap. Their life and adventures really only begin when they would be considered rubbish by most people. Their quest to assemble a family and to become self-winding takes them through a varied and exciting series of adventures that most people would have difficulty enduring. It is a path frought with peril, but also a path of discovery and redemption. Do they come all right in the end? You'll have to read the book, won't you?
I have read "The Mouse and His Child" several times and each time I marvel at the imagination and humour I find in it. It is full of satire and punning and the characters are well rounded and interesting. It is unlike any other book I've ever read and I thoroughly enjoy it. Several lines from the book (or to be more precise, the recording of Peter Ustinov reading the story) have entered our family vocabulary. I would recommend this story to anyone who likes books like "The Chronicles of Narnia," "The Phantom Tollbooth," "Alice in Wonderland," and the stories of E. Nesbit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good for kids., 20 April 2006
I didn't know Russell Hoban wrote for children until recently. His "Riddley Walker" is one of my all-time favourite adult books.

The Mouse and His Child turned out to be a supreme delight. A beautiful, inventive and imaginative book that pulled at my heartstrings from the first page and expertly sustained this powerful sensation until the end. It continues to affect me, and I've recently re-read it. It's one of the books that I like my friends to read.

Whether a 10yr old could manage it these days, I couldn't say. If you're getting it for a young child, you'd enjoy reading it to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep philosophy--for children!, 19 Feb. 2006
J. D. Ritchie (Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A deep, intelligent, powerful book clothed as childrens literature. This book works on several levels so it can be appreciated as a simple road tale, an adventure or as one of the deepest philosophical works ever written and all the more meaningful for being so accessible. As a 10 year old I read this and ended up staring sleeplessly at the ceiling pondering the issues raised. The only let down is the somewhat lazy conversion of the genuinely terrifying evil character of Manny Rat into a good guy.
Your children are not stupid. Buy this and make them think.

5.0 out of 5 stars my number one, 1 May 2003
By A Customer
Like the other reviewers, i love this book, it is probably top of my list, i re-read it every year or so, never tire of it, and it is magical for adults and children alike, on all levels, purely a beautiful story, a parable, a thought-provoking book. If you don't have a copy, you should have, i regularly buy it when i find it second-hand and give it to friends and relatives. Try it, you'll think about the mice for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wind in the Willows it ain't, 12 April 2002
By A Customer
This is probably one of the most memorable books I've ever read. I read it as an adult, so I can't really say what effect it would have on children, but it probably won't cheer them up much. While not actually a tragedy, it is a sad, forlorn journey touching on all the essential suffering and folly of life. All adults should read this book. I suppose it falls into the 'Lord of the Flies' school of children's literature, but really it's far more subtle and touching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manny Rat lives?, 19 Jan. 2011
One of the greatest books for young and old ever written.Even those with "no teef!" like myself. Wonderfully illustrated, it is a profound and humanistic story from the author of "Riddley Walker".The Mouse and His Child (FF Childrens Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic for parents of all ages, 19 Dec. 2013
I think this is a fantastic book. However, I feel obliged to give it less than five stars because my son was less impressed. I started reading it to him and finished reading it alone. Perhaps he was the wrong age (he was nine at the time): too old to enjoy stories about clockwork mice, too young to appreciate satires of twentieth centuary philosophy and drama.

The story concerns a clockwork mouse and his son, who wander vulnerably through the wide world in search of a family and a means of becoming self winding. There are displays of heroism, love and humour, sometimes wonderfully dark. There is plenty of action: a robbery, battles and quite a lot of death. More troubling for youngsters, there are also passages of reflection, and the whole book is suffused with a melancholy atmosphere. At times, with its mix of sentimentality and despair, it reminded me of The Road (but then children's books often do).

In the end, everything turns out better than seemed possible. The lost are found, the broken mended and the main characters, at least, are happier and wiser. On the whole, this is a marvellous book for parents, and it's well worth attempting to read it to the children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›