4.0 out of 5 stars Repeats, repeats, repeats
I have now read all four books in the Star Carrier series, this one being the 4th. Great read, good characterisation and written with good pace.

Published on 20 May 2013 by Abedo

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a short story
This is a short story, padded out with background material and a dreadful amount of repetition. By the time I had read through the padding I had lost my immersion.

Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Repeats, repeats, repeats, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Deep Space: Star Carrier: Book Four (Kindle Edition)

Only 4 stars though. Why? Well, I suspect that if you take out all the repeat narrative that the four books would condense to three. Ian Douglas seems to think that his readers have a memory retention span of of just an hour or so. All character history and explanations, earth history and explanations, alien history and explanations are repeated ad-infinitum, frequently several times in the same book, not just across books. I found myself skipping whole paragraphs, sometimes pages, to avoid re-reading what I'd read a few chapters ago. This gets really annoying.

Please Mr. Douglas, I think it's quite safe to assume that if you explained something a few chapters ago that the reader will remember, so repeating the narrative with such frequency isn't necessary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a short story, 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Deep Space: Star Carrier: Book Four (Kindle Edition)

Though set in the far future, it's loaded with today's stereotypes, anti just about everyone outside the USA, and topped off with a dash of US patriotism for good measure. It really should have had a warning on the cover. `Unsuitable for non USA readers'

I did enjoy this authors work and I do love a good bit of Pulp Sci-Fi, but I feel Ian Douglas has scammed me with this novel.

I'll be passing on his output in future.

2.0 out of 5 stars One book too many, 23 Mar. 2014
Robin Monks "robinm0" (Glossop, Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the first 3 books in the 'Star Carrier' series; mostly straight-forward space opera with the odd update from its forbears in the form of some thought about the technology. The characters were all a little cliched and one-dimensional, though. The third book wrapped up most of the plot-lines fairly well. That is where the series should have been left. In this sequel, the author begins to repeat himself almost from page 1; there is too much filler at the expense of moving the story along. The main protagonists continue to be under-written. Sorry, Mr Douglas, this is a lazy effort; I certainly won't bother with book 5...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, excessive descriptive repetitions, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Deep Space: Star Carrier: Book Four (Kindle Edition)
I like this series of books, the previous books had quite a lot of historic detail. This book has the same historic detail but each event seems to be described more than once. The overall story and plot is good.

3.0 out of 5 stars More Space Battles, 22 July 2013
Mr. A. Phipps (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is an enjoyable read that concentrates on action from a space fighter pilot's perspective. The book is a good read but the repetitive explanations of the same technology in several places in the book can be jarring. The read is not totally immersive and some of the attempts to make social comment in the book fall abut flat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep Space, 3 Feb. 2014
I. Lodge "Barney" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Space: Star Carrier: Book Four (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad story line and tolerably written. But do we need the endless repetitions of technical detail like how the interstellar drive works? Very tiresome and I am an engineer. Perhaps Douglas gets paid on the word count.

Same goes for the first three books in this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first 3 in the series, 23 July 2013
C. Gale - See all my reviews
An enjoyable read but re-used the plot and the characterisations. Not as complex or interesting as the first three in the series

1.0 out of 5 stars too long poor ending, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Deep Space: Star Carrier: Book Four (Kindle Edition)
Having read the other three books in this series I was kind of committed to read this one so I would know what happened.
It doesn't end well, by that I don't mean out isn't a happy ending, it kind of is. what I mean is that it just stops, pretty much in the middle of a battle. I don't know if the author ran out of time, paper or what.
If you have read the others don't bother with this one, at least 40% of it repeats endlessly the plot lines and science . OK,author, I get it aliens are different.
I have never suggested someone not read a book, but here I will make an exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 8 May 2013
Mr. M. Regan - The Regsy "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Deep Space: Star Carrier: Book Four (Kindle Edition)
I had read the first three books in this series and thought that it was finished although open for more. So book 4 came as a pleasant suprise and I would classify it as the start of a new related series as opposed to a 4th (its 19 years or so in the future). Ian Douglas has again managed to blend warfare and political infighting into a page turning enjoyable read, we have new characters to get to know and some old favourites that have moved up the chain of commmand. THis is a great read and I am only sorry that I finished it in a couple of days, now the long wait for the next one. If you have read the rest then you have to get this one, if you haven't then buy all four and enjoy a good dose of sci-fi space opera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stop repeating yourself Douglas, 5 Feb. 2015
Not a bad series of books, but the author keeps repeating himself again and again and again. I wonder if he even realises he is doing it. Kind of ruined the books for me all the constant re-hashing of stuff you've read over and over throughout the books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›