5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read - witty, sexy and with a hero to die for :), 29 July 2013
Caz "So many books, so little time..." (Frinton-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Happened One Midnight: Pennyroyal Green Series (Kindle Edition)
I thought "It Happened One Midnight" was a thoroughly enjoyable read and it's made me want to catch up with the rest of the series sooner rather than later. It was very well-written and I liked that the fluffy exterior had darker undertones dealing with issues which were certainly coming to the fore at the time. Jonathan was a wonderful hero - handsome, intelligent, wonderfully caring and possessed of a wit on which you could cut yourself shaving (!). He loved his family very much and was man enough to realise that life is short and sometimes you have to make your own happiness. He stood up to his father in a manner that allowed them to maintain a relationship and I thought, all in all, that he was a very mature, well-grounded individual.

Tommy was one of the more unusual heroines I've encountered in the pages of historical romances, but I felt that she wasn't one of those who was written as `feisty' for the sake of it. She had had a hard life and had learned to look after herself - often the hard way - and she found it genuinely difficult to believe that she had at last found someone who was prepared - and she could trust - to shoulder some of her burdens. The sexual tension between them was delicious, the love scenes were both romantic and sexy and I liked that neither character lost their sense of humour when they were in bed together. Out of it, Tommy matched Jonathan step for step and quip for quip, and while she may not have been the unspoiled virgin so often featured in romantic novels, they were a very well-suited couple and I can definitely see her making an excellent politician's wife.

"It Happened One Midnight" is an entertaining and very enjoyable read that strikes a good balance between the romance and the more serious issues running alongside. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it, 7 Aug. 2013
What a good, fun read. Both leads are great.. both strong, with something about them. The only minor irritation was the repeated claim of travelling between London and Lancaster in two hours. Must be some carriage.... couldn't do it in two hours in a car!

4.0 out of 5 stars This may be my favourtie Pennyroyal novel, 26 April 2014
Having just read and not-very-much-liked Between The Devil and Ian Eversea, I wanted to gush a little bit about this one.
The series in general is very enjoyable — except that for some reason the titles themselves don't really hang together very well? I can never remember their order (Amazon is absolutely no help here) and I don't really feel that most of the titles express very well what goes on within.
Anyway! Loved this one! I think that the author has done an amazing job of playing with out loyalties — you can't come down on either the side of the Everseas or the Redmonds, which is amazingly risky, but Long pulls it off.
I loved the banter between Jonathon and Thomasina — I think it's the best yet.
Curious as to whether Olivia's story is next? I think she's the only one left? Looking forward!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 24 Aug. 2013
So, I'm Scottish. I don't buy Kindle books unless they're free - or unless they're written by Julie Anne Long. I read so much rubbish, and then, just occasionally, something like this flashes into view. Superbly written, with style, elegance, wit, warmth, and a unique slant on what we think we mean by a Regency Romance. For once, we get to see and understand something of the underbelly of that age.

Did I mention it was funny, too?

This is a book that manages to balance the demands of plot and characterisation brilliantly. There's enough plot to keep you reading on, worrying about how it will all work out; scoring a 6 on my personal Plausibility Index - OK, maybe a 7. But the heart of it is the relationship between H & h, which eschews the clichés of Lust across a Crowded Room to offer a more subtle appreciation of how respect, desire, liking and trust combine to create convincing love.

And - and - and .... it's one of a series. This is a keeper. Ignore the price (and the cover picture) - just relish the pleasure of a well-written satisfying love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julie at her best, 13 Jan. 2014
I love the way that JAL works at building her characters - this hero - is one that I absolutely adore - he is well "grouted" as he stands up & supports the heroine & against all opposition whether its love/life/work he looks at the positive side & decides that no matter what he will succeed. The story is brilliant running along side all of the above & the end is really well written & scripted as sometimes some authors lose the plot at the end - literally - not JAL - I have read 4 of her books & just ordered another 4 - my favourite at the moment. I picked her through an Amazon reader review - so thanks to that reader - she is amongst my favourites

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars. How a heroine can inspire heroism in a man, 21 Feb. 2015
When Jonathan appeared in previous books in this series, particularly "Like No Other Lover" and "I Kissed an Earl", I thought him spoiled, immature, shallow, and in need of growing up. I was concerned I could not like him as the romantic hero of a novel.

I wondered how Julie Anne Long would elevate Jonathan and make him heroic to me. In the beginning of this book, Jonathan appears to be true to character. He needed, I thought, something extraordinary to happen to him to effect a change or improvement. And that's exactly what transpired. That extraordinary thing was a person named Thomasina-on-a-personal-mission.

The transformation in Jonathan was amazing and believable to me. And that made him compelling, as far as I was concerned.

The romance with Thomasina was realistic in terms of time as it occurred over the course of many weeks, rather than a few days or weeks. The couple were not forced to be together constantly (as they might be on a ship or at a houseparty) and so the pace of love seemed natural.

The romance build-up was gradual and tension-filled. Actually, the romance kind of snuck up on me. I liked that. Jonathan was a true surprise, and quite frankly, so was Thomasina. Together, this couple did great things. Jonathan even tidied up something that worried me in previous books about Miles and Cynthia (the couple from "Like No Other Lover" - 5 star book).

Jonathan stepped up and I loved that. It took guts. Thomasina was already admirable, I just didn't realise how much in the beginning.

I really enjoyed this novel except one early scene where the couple engage in a sex act (but not penile penetration) in a public-ish place. I felt that encounter was a) unnecessary, and b) risky - in terms of exposure to scandal and ruin for Thomasina. In that scene, I felt Jonathan still had not "grown-up" at that point in the book. However, since the story developed so beautifully afterward I shrugged off that scene, and I felt this novel was a hit for me overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book in the series, 28 July 2014
This is another in the Pennyroyal Green series about Jonathan Redmond and Thomasina de Ballestros (Tommy). He's dashing, rich and handsome and she is a beauty on the outskirts of soceity, who has a secret for saving young children put in danger whilst working in large households. Jonathan takes the decision to help her and finds love at the same time and its only when his father undermines him entreprenarial talents and tries to tell him what to do that Jonathan decides to prove him wrong by making money his way and finding a wife at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars it happened one midnight, 28 July 2013
Maureen E. Henderson (scotland) - See all my reviews
what a great story it happened one midnight. i really enjoyed it and would highly recomend it to other readers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but was expecting more., 21 Jan. 2014
I've waited so long for this book - although it did deliver, it still felt like something was lacking. I expected so much more. Not the best of Ms Long's books but in the top 5 for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 21 Dec. 2013
I love the witty banter and strong story line. Led me to other books by the same author and by the same reviewers, no regrets!