5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile - and keeps getting better

Published on 12 Jun. 2013 by A. Skudder

Published 9 months ago by Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile - and keeps getting better, 12 Jun. 2013
A. Skudder (Crawley, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pure Jongo S3 Wireless speaker with WiFi and Bluetooth - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(Updated May 2014)

The first thing that struck me about this speaker was the size. From the size and and weight of the box I was expecting something almost twice the size, but it does throw out the sort of sound that you would expect from something bigger. The inclusion of an integral rechargeable battery is what gives it the weight and makes it feel very solid and sturdy.

It can be used in several different ways. You can leave it oin one place, permanently attached to the mains, or you can move it around depending on circumstances, even taking it out to the garden or on a picnic. A battery life of 10 hours is claimed and while I haven't tested that out I have never had it run out of juice on me. Best of all the sound is just as good, and as loud, whether it is working from the mains or from battery.

The size and portability also mean that you can sort of have a multi-room system with just the one speaker.

In terms of connections there are several ways this can be used.

Firstly, you could just use a cable to connect to a port on the back. It works and works well, but if that is all you are going to do then you could get a cheaper unit, but it is a handy capability as it means that you can still play music from older devices that don't have any sort of networking.

Secondly, you can connect via Bluetooth. Most phones and tablets have that and some computers do. I picked up a Bluetooth dongle for my laptop for a pound and it works well as a direct connection. Again, if that is all you do with it, there are cheaper options, though maybe not with the same level of sound and battery life.

Thirdly, you can connect by wi-fi. With a wi-fi connection you can send music to the speaker using the Pure Connect app from any Android or IOS device. The advantage over Bluetooth is that you don't have to worry about proximity to the speaker, and if you have more than one speaker you can control them all.

The wireless internet connectivity is what this is all about. It was very easy to set up, following the instructions. My first attempt at using it was a bit of a failure because the Android version of the app would not connect properly to the speaker, but the new release of the software at the beginning of June fixed that. At the time of writing the software is still a beta release, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Using the Pure Connect app you can stream live radio from a choice of thousands of stations (Planet Rock, TripleM in Sydney, Radio Veronica from Holland and a French 80s station are my current favourites, along with BBC 6 Music), or stream music from Pure's own subscription-based service. You can also play music that is stored on the device itself or play a range of ambient sounds if that is your thing: you can have all sorts of birdsong, rainfall, etc. Not really my thing, but I do enjoy putting on the Farm Dogs Barking sound sometimes just to get our dogs going.

What you can't do across the wi-fi connection is play from other internet sources like Spotify or Last FM or stream from your NAS. A subscription to the Pure service is actually cheaper than Spotify I think but if you already subscribe to another service you probably don't want to pay for another. I guess if you are clever enough you could write your own app to get round this, but I'm not so I won't. The other thing you can't do is control the wi-fi from a PC. You can use the Pure website to play all the same sounds, tunes and radio channels through your PC but can't direct them to a Jongo speaker. Basically, to get the full functionality you do need an Android or IOS device - but I'm guessing that the sort of person looking for internet speakers will probably also have that sort of thing.

I'm using this speaker in a mix & match kind of way. I use the wi-fi, controlling it from a Nexus 7 or a Sony phone to play radio channels. If I want to play music of my choice I turn Bluetooth on and stream Spotify from the tablet. If I did want to play any of the stuff that isn't typically available for streaming because it is too obscure or isn't licenced (Pink Floyd or AC/DC for example) then I would have to use the laptop or PC with the Bluetooth dongle.

I can see how the multi-room thing works. I don't think I would want or need to control music in a room I am not currently in, but would be interested in re-directing to another speaker as I moved to another room, but for now I'll stick with the one speaker and just take it with me if I change rooms since it is so easy to do that.

UPDATE #1
I now have a second Jongo speaker.
When I only had one I had a take-it-or-leave-it attitude to multi-room, thinking that it is so portable I could just move the speaker when I move rooms, but now I have two I am seriously thinking about getting a third for upstairs!

Setting up the second speaker was even easier than the first. No need to log into it and give it your wifi password or anythin: just put it next to the first speaker, hold down a button on both of them and the first speaker sets up the second one for you. I was impressed that.

From the app on one phone or tablet you can send music to any individal speaker or to all of them. If you are sending to more than one you can control volumes individually. In addition we have had different music on each speaker, controlled by two different devices.

I also tested the speakers in the same room and they are perfectly synched, which is important. It would be very irritating if they were even a tiny bit out.

So far I have only listened to various radio stations from around the world via the Pure Connect app and have streamed Spotify and Amazon Cloud music via bluetooth on a tablet. I have also listened to my own ripped CD via Bluetooth on a laptop (the Bluetooth dongle only cost a quid from Amazon!) I have not yet tried the free trial of Pure's subscription service. If I do I will add another update.

So far I'm very happy with this. One speaker has replaced a dead micro stereo in the kitchen where we were previously having to turn on the TV and cable box to listen to radio through the TV's little speakers. The only thing which would improve this would be NFC to make it even easier to connect by Bluetooth but I can't really complain about that - until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't even heard of it.

UPDATE #2 (Dec 2013)
There have been a few updates to the Pure Connect Android app and to the speakers themselves which have introduced some new features. The app now works perfectly for controlling multiple speakers and has done for quite a while now. There is now an option, which I admit I have not tried) for setting two individual Jongo speakers as the left and right stereo channels. This is not something I am interested in but I know that a lot of reviewers in magazines had highlighted it as a missing feature.

As an aside, there have been a couple of updates to the firmware on the speakers. These happen automatically. When you start the app on your phone or tablet and it detects that speakers on the network do not have the latest versionit just updates them. It takes a few minutes during which the main light cycles through the traffic light colours. When the update is complete the light stays on green.

Another thing you can do with these speaker I only discovered yesterday. I don't know if it was introduced by an update of Windows Media Player or the Jongo speakers, or if it was possible all the time and I didn't realise it, but you can stream via wifi from WMP. When you right-click on a track or play list you get an option to "Play to" and can choose one of your Jongo speakers to strem to. You can only choose one speaker so can't stream the same thing to multiple speakers, but it does open a new instance of WMP for the streaming. You can then stream something different to another speaker. All the volume controls are independent of each other. Not sure of all the possibilities yet as it is still a bit of a new toy.

It is still not possible to steam from Spotify via wi-fi unfortunately, but of course that is still possible via Bluetooth to a single speaker.

I was already happy with this, but these new (or newly discovered features) just make it even better and give me some confidence that there may well be even more improvements in the future.

UPDATE #3 (Feb 2014)

The only hardware feature I found lacking on this was NFC capability. I have since found out that it is easy to add this feature yourself using programmable NFC tags like Whiztags (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CE3IC74). In a way it is better to do it this way as you don't need to stick the tag on the speaker itself - if the speaker is located in a shelf or in a high place you can put the tag in a more accessible location. I have a tag programmed to activate bluetooth on my tablet and pair with a speaker which will also disconnect and turn off bluetooth when tapped again. I have another one which will open up the Pure app for me if I want to use wifi instead (which to be honest is the way I mostly use it).

UPDATE #4 (May 2014)

Pure have updated their software again, and this time the update has added ht emain thing I had on my wishlist - the ability to stream from Spotify (or any other app that isn't Pure Connect) to multiple speakers, either for multi-room listening or for using a pair of Jongos as a stereo pair.

It was already possible to play Spotify by Bluetooth, but only to a single speaker. Now I can stream to both my speakers. I don't know, and don't need to know, exactly how it works but it is some mixture of Blutooth and Wi-Fi.

This really is a new experience for me. Normally I get a gadget and then watch as new gadgets come out that do more things and make my gadgets a bit obsolete, but without me doing anything except allowing the app on my tablet to update itself, these speakers keep getting upgraded.

Still having some trouble getting the tablet to stream music that is stored on my PC, but a lot of that is probably down to the fact that I don't really want or need to do it so haven't applied myself to it. I suspect that if I really wanted to get that working I would be able to get some technical support from Pure.

As it is, the only thing I can't really do is stream to the speakers from my PC. There is no equivalent of the Pure Connect app for the PC, you just go to the Pure website. The way things are going I would not be surprised if that feature either comes along in the next update or is already there but I haven't found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure wireless speaker, 12 Dec. 2013
I had read the reviews on this and it seemed perfect. A bit apprehensive about buying before hearing it live. I didn't have to worry as the product stood up to the reviews. The sound is crisp and the wireless works brilliantly. Very compact so it can be used anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bit of kit, 13 April 2014
I had researched Bluetooth speakers for a while and it came down to the jongo or so now. I wanted to improve the speaker output of our hi-fi too so the audio connection on the jongo was the final discriminator. The unit not only looks great but was a doddle to set up and the sound quality is excellent. The fact that it is easily portable and has a great battery life makes this an excellent all round choice. I've no regrets and would highly recommend this speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy, 13 July 2014
A great product. Easy to set up and fantastic sound. I now have one in every room and stream music effortlessly through all speakers via wifi or bluetooth. Works great with the pure connect app that I have. Can also be used with spotify etc! The perfect way to stream music. This is a great size too so perfect to take with you to a picnic / outside for a BBQ. Good chargeable battery life too. I love the coloured grilles as well to bring a bit of colour to the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars First of many Jongo purchases, 17 Sept. 2014
I recently purchased the Pure Jongo S3 from another retailer, but thought I may as well leave a review here. I was initially in the market for the Sonos Play:1, which the Jongo S3 clearly competes with, but at a cheaper price point. Having compared the two on the shop floor, I was left in little doubt that with the Sonos, the extra expense could not be justified.

Once you get the hang of the Pure app (not the most intuitive, but once you get there it's great) the system comes into it's own, and really shines. Everything from music (via Pure Connect, Spotify, web radio and NAS) to talk radio sound great, and the sound quality is superb for such a small speaker.

The quadrophonic effect doesn't quite live up to it's billing, but it is useful for 'filling out' the sound when used outdoors, which this speaker allows due to it's in built battery (rated at 10 hours and so far I've no reason to doubt this).

I get the feeling this will be the first in a long line of purchases from the Jongo range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sound, 26 May 2014
Could do with two - but the sound handles the bass better than I expected. Its a small speaker but the wifi set up and operation was fine. For my ears (not very good ones) it is a good compromise

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker, 20 Aug. 2013
Setup was straightforward and sound output is very good for the size. Much more volume when used with my tablet rather than my phone. Am looking at purchasing another or possibly the larger t6 when available.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 17 July 2013
ReviewWithaView (StaffordshireUK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Counting them up, I have used 10 wireless speakers over the years at least and this is the only one that measures up. Best sound quality by far in my experience. Well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've been very happy with it, 8 Oct. 2014
I bought one of these after reading some mixed reviews. I've been very happy with it, the sound is fine (so far only used with the unit on solid furniture and it sounds good). I don't know if firmware changes have added features but I can stream whatever audio I like via Bluetooth connection and the unit is also a DLNA endpoint so I can use a PC or Android device to instruct my NAS running TwonkyServer to send sound to the Jongo, turn the controlling device off and the Jongo plays the music happily. Initial setup was a doddle - press the WiFi button, connect with phone, tell the Jongo which network to connect to and the password and that's it. I'm so happy with the one I have I've ordered a second .

1.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker ruined by useless control app & non existent tech support, 7 Sept. 2014
This speaker is excellent but I think am going to have to return it. Unfortunately the iPhone/iPad app which controls it is laughable and seems unaware of the basic functionality required. In theory you don't need to subscribe to Pure's music service and can use the app to play your own music from a NAS. If you choose this option you will be unable to search your own music library and will have to trawl through your albums with the added annoyance that all album titles beginning with "the" are filed under T. Also despite what the product description says, you can't create playlists from your own music.

Update. It's a week later and I have still had no response from Pure tech support but it's given me the opportunity to discover even more limitations in their half baked app. Today is the day it gets returned to Amazon and I go to Sonos.