on 20 May 2013
If you have a Macbook Pro then this Super Samsung ssd is a must have.
Super fast and the most reliable ssd money can buy i think.
Very easy to install and worked no problem.
Make shore TRAM support is on if its not then download TRAM Enabler it free.
I got Write speeds of 488 MB/s and Read speeds of 518 MB/s on Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2012.
Boots up in 12 secs.
on 3 February 2013
It's also the first solid state drive I've ever owned, but I've seen quite a few in action and this is by far the best.

You know that box that used to show up whenever you copied or deleted files? The one with the progress bar and the 'time remaining' ticker? Well I catch glimpses of its outline every now and again, as it pops up for a fraction of a second, but I've almost forgotten what it looks like. I only see it when I'm copying files larger than 500MB or so from this drive to the HDD that serves as a storage drive, and even then that's only because it's being limited by the write speed of the HDD. All in all, you'll not have a speedier experience.

For games, I did a little test on loading times, and in every case they were cut buy at least a half. Assassins' Creed III was slashed from 24 seconds down to 4. That's a reduction of about 88%. Loading times aren't the most important use of an SSD but they're certainly a huge plus.

As for startup times, it's getting to the point where I have to sit down and get comfortable BEFORE I turn on the computer, because otherwise the thing's up and running before I've had a chance to adjust my chair. Most times Windows 7 doesn't even have a chance to finish its startup logo, and you barely see a flash of the welcome screen before you're at the desktop, ready to go. My friend has an Agility 3 SSD and it takes at least twice as long to get that far.

Now it's come down by about £50, with prices at about £170 (edit - one year later and it's now more like £130-140 - can't go wrong with that) across the board, this is looking more and more like THE ~256GB SSD. It's faster and bigger than most drives of a similar size, which are usually 240 or 250 GB, and writes much quicker than the 128GB model if you believe the supplied numbers. Add on a 5 year warranty and you've got probably the best SSD on the market. I'd say it's also pretty future proof - this is already knocking on the ceiling of SATA III speeds, so until a new standard comes out, this is as good as you'll get.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2012
Size: 256 GB|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At the time of writing the Samsung 840 Pro is the best SSD available on the market. It is the reference against which all other SSDs are measured. If you're still reading, then you either need more convincing or you want some more info.

I switched my laptop from a regular hard disk to an SSD as soon as the prices of 250/256GB models dropped to "reasonable" money. I have not regretted it. In fact, after migrating my system to the SSD, I kept my old hard disk as a system backup. I recently had to go back to this backup after my Windows was corrupted after a crash (thanks Symantec, you're standards continue to underwhelm me). Boy was it slooowwww! Booting off of an SSD is not "instant on" fast (I had been hopeful before getting one), but it is measured in seconds rather than the minutes of my old hard disk (a 7200rpm Seagate Momentus).

As for the Samsung 840 Pro, I find it hard to believe, but upgrading from a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD to the 840 Pro feels faster. In fact SSDs are getting close to the limits of the 6gbps bus, so waiting around for higher performance models right now is just not worth it.

On top of that the lifespan of the Pro model is quoted at 5 years, whereas the non-pro SSDs are rated at 3 years. This is a significant increase for a small price difference.

If you're not aware of this, the memory used in SSD drives can only support a certain number of write cycles (where new data is written to a bit of memory). The more you change the contents of the drive, the faster it wears out (this is why you should NEVER defragment an SSD - you are subjecting it to a lot of write accesses and you're not increasing performance. Disk based HDs lose performance as files fragment because they have moving parts, SSDs don't. If you defragment an SSD then you're just killing it faster).

I waited until I could afford an SSD of at least 250GB before saying goodbye to magnetic storage, since the trade-off of space for performance would have made things unmanageable and I would recommend that anyone else eying an SSD do the same. I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and just looking at the Windows folder it takes up 25GB of disk space. Add to that the space reserved for virtual memory, file management and programs and even a 120GB disk is starting to look full before you've even starting loading your own data. If you're lucky enough to have a second hard drive bay in your laptop, where you can install a large, regular hard drive, you could maybe consider a 120GB, but for anyone else I'd set 250GB as the lower limit.

Finally, I'd like to talk about the contents of the box. When I bought my Samsung 830 I got the version containing a kit of everything you needed to migrate from my old disk to the SSD. This version of the 840 Pro does not have this. All that is in the box is the drive, a CD with the Samsung SSD Magician software and a user guide. The 830 also had a USB cable to plug the SSD onto a USB port for copying to and a license of Norton Ghost, which (is supposed) to be able to clone your previous drive to the SSD. A clone is an exact copy of your existing disk, where the operating system, programs and your data are all intact. All you need to do once the drive is cloned is swap out the old HD for the SSD and then bask in the increased speed.

In other words, if you intend to clone your disk, then you will need an external enclosure or some other means with which to plug the SSD to your PC (you can find kits on Amazon). You will also need some HD cloning software and for God's sake, don't use Norton (this is what killed my copy of Windows). Since I have the license I have tried Norton on several occasions and it has NEVER worked (I can't imagine why Samsung recommend it). You would do better to get a trial or free piece of software from the Internet; I highly Macrium Reflect, which is free for non-professional users, but you might also consider Acronis Migrate Easy, just because it is widely used (though it can only be trialled for 30-days).

Anyway, to sum up in one phrase, this drive is awesome and you should absolutely get one.
1010 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I replaced my crucial m4 with this SSD. So far I'm impressed. Everything works great, it's really fast. The design is excellent; it's a shame that we have to put this inside the case. This drive does come with samsung magician software (optional install). It's a good addition to the drive as it shows you if there are any firmware updates, shows you the health of the drive & helps you optimize your system for use with an SSD.

A lot of people only look at the speed advertised when it comes to SSDs but IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second) are also important. It' self-explanatory, the more IOPS the more operations can be performed within a second. This drive combines great speed (almost maxing out sata 3 capabilities) with great IOPS, Samsung uses their own controller, which is similar to the one used by crucial. It doesn't need to compress any data therefore you should get great performance from it all the time, not only when it's able to compress data (like sandforce controllers which I wouldn't recommend).

Honestly, this is currently the best drive on the market for sata 3 connectivity. Yes you can get the 256GB and 512GB which have slightly better performance however you will most likely not notice the difference therefore I would not recommend the larger drives unless you really need the extra space. That's all I can say at this time, I can't wait to see if the performance will be affected a couple of months down the line, but so far so good.

btw here are the performance stats:

Sequential Read Speed: Up to 530MB/s
Sequential Write Speed: Up to 390MB/s
Random Read Speed: Up to 97K IOPS
Random Write Speed: Up to 90K IOPS
on 11 December 2014
I've bought this ssd drive from another retailer and it worked remarkably well achieving a read speed of 557MB/s and a write speed of 460 MB/s.

Unfortunately the Samsung Magician software "upgraded" my firmware and my speeds have plummeted to 370 and 230 MB/sec (read/write).

I've contacted Samsung support and their only suggestion was to format the drive...

If you buy this drive do not install the Samsung Magician Software!!
Or even better If you want a trouble free experience try another manufacturer.
review image review image
on 2 February 2013
If you can afford, get one of this for your PC or laptop.This can be an excellent alternatively upgrade instead of buying a new laptop. A year ago I bought a HP Pavillon DV6-6053ea . Excellent features, Intel core I7 processor but it came with a Toshiba 5400rpm hard drive and everything was limited to my hard drive speed. Lately it was running very slow and had problems shutting down the computer and I was waiting forever for windows 7 to start. I decided to change the traditional hard drive for an SSD and I read good reviews about the 840 pro so I installed this one on my computer and the changes are amazing!. Not only the windows start quicker and it launches applications much faster; the battery life is also increased in almost an extra hour!. As for my old hard drive, I have replaced my cd/dvd drive for a cd/dvd caddy hard drive adapter and I use my old hard drive as data storage now. After trying SSD's, I will never go back to traditional hard drives again!.
on 8 August 2013
This thing is very fast! I can't believe how quick my PC boots. Less the 10 seconds. And with installed services at start up it is ready to use in 20 seconds. I have had zero problems so far.

I definitely recommend this product if you motherboard have a sata 3 ports.
on 24 May 2013
Quite happy with this thing.
After installed immediately run the benchmarks (provided by linux disk utilities): actually 540 MB/s average reading speed, and a ridiculous 0.1 millisecond average *and* maximum access time, completely flat.
My usage is extremely intense and after about one month there is no noticeable degrade. The benchmark still gives the same reading speed, while the access time is a bit more scattered, 0.2 millisecond average, 0.3 maximum, still virtually zero in practice though.
Formatted after one month, in order to refresh the installation of the OS, still no problems and the access time is back as new to 0.1.
I use full disk encryption at the OS level.
From a subjective standpoint, this thing is really fast compared to a normal hard disk of course, I could hardly ask more. It does make the use of the laptop as effortless as possible: opening notoriously heavy programs (Firefox, OpenOffice) is virtually instantaneous, loading heavy tests suites is considerably faster.

In the unlikely case one is still using conventional hard-drives, an SSD is the single most dramatic upgrade that one can make.
The other advantage is that the battery of the laptop lasts a bit more (subjective, but yet clearly noticeable).

As to the built-in HW level encryption it's difficult to say: it is possible to set a password for the HD (in the BIOS) without which it's not even possible to turn the SSD on, but it's not clear if that also implies that the content is encrypted. No info at all in the box or on the samsung website. I would say that this is the only disappointing side of the product.

Now, the only remaining test is the test of time: my system provisioning is entirely automated, and everything is backed up in real time, so even if it suddenly died it wouldn't be a problem. However, I would be pleased if this one lasted at least of couple of years.
A 5-years warranty suggests that it might actually make it.

Update about 5 months later:
My usage profile is extremely intensive.
The perceived performance is unaltered, still very good. The benchmark results are substantially the same, still consistenly 540MB read, with a hard-to-believe 0.1 ms average access time.
on 28 November 2012
The Samsung 840 Pro SSD arrived the day after I ordered it - excellent! Now that it is installed it provides a massive improvement to the overall performance of my laptop, a Dell XPS 15. I did the upgrade just after the hard drive failed and I spent the considerable time to reinstall and customise all the software. There are many technical reviews comparing the performance, the impressively fast Windows start, and the lower drain on the battery. But for me the most impressive overall gain is the speed that all applications launch and the system operates in general. The difference is like night and day!

There were some installation issues. (I'm competent but not a total hardware guru.) First, Samsung does not supply the cable I needed to clone my hard drive to the new SDD. I thought this was a little mean considering it's their flagship product. A trip to Maplins got me sorted but it cost me an extra £20 for the cable. The CD that comes with the product only has their "SSD Magician" software: you have to look hard to find the cloning software on the Samsung web site, or use something you already might have such as Acronis True Image. Samsung's Data Migration software (Ver 1.1 used, in my case) is the picture of simplicity to use. It did, however, take me a few attempts to successfully clone the drive: it seems the software cannot deal with interruptions, so you must shut down all applications (including those lurking in the system tray). I suggest you disconnect the computer from the internet, and set the system power setting so the computer does not go to sleep mode. Basically, it seems it's vital the system is perfectly inactive during the disc cloning. There may be a good general case for cloning methods that run from a boot CD/thumb drive.

Samsung has an 00800 number for support during the week, which I did not test.

In spite of the teething pains I fully recommend SSDs in general. This product from Samsung seems to operate very well on my laptop, together with an i7 processor. Before you consider buying a new, faster computer/laptop, try a SSD upgrade.
on 26 November 2013
I highly recommend this ssd. sure you can get cheaper ssd's that will do the job and still feel good about yourself on owning a super fast ssd but i would suggest you save up for a bit longer to include the samsung 840 pro on your shortlist. its very stable and reliable, very fast(of course), build quality is second to none, samsung software is very useful and helps you maintain your drive for many years at optimum efficiency. samsung also compliments your purchase by including a very tasty 5 year warranty. all in all, well worth the money!