4.0 out of 5 stars The rest is up to me....
Published 23 months ago by Luanne Ollivier

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and time
Published 23 months ago by ClaireBear

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The rest is up to me...., 8 Mar. 2013
I know, I rarely review non fiction, but Jillian Michael's latest book Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss, is one I definitely wanted to read. I have struggled with my weight for many years - up and down, up and down. I've reached the point where I am making the commitment to yes, watch my weight, but more importantly to be healthy.

There are soooo many diet, weight loss and health books on the market today and it's really difficult to know who or what information you can trust. And, I guess that's why I wanted to read Michaels' book - because in my eyes, she is trustworthy, she has a proven track record and although I don't know her and will never meet her, I just, well, like her. So I wanted to hear what she had to say.

"Bottom line, over the last several years, I've come to recognize that the more simple and straightforward I can make the information, the easier it is for you to cut through all the crap, apply the advice, and get the results you want."

I've had this book for a few weeks now, but found it was easier to take a piece of information or an idea, try to apply it to my life and only then go back for more, rather than trying to do it all at once (and expecting results in seven days or less ;) ) And Michaels herself says you don't have to follow all the strategies - pick and choose what works for you. Each chapter ends with a checklist that you can use to decide what tips will work for you. It's also a great reminder.

The first chapter was a great refresher on the basics.

-Clean out the cupboards. If it's not there, you can't eat it.

-Write down what you eat - it's there in black and white. Of course I've heard of this, but have I ever followed through before? This time - yes - accountability is hard to ignore. (and you won't have to do it 'forever'.

-Don't eat chemicals "If it didn't come from the ground or the ocean of have a mother - don't eat it."

-Sit down to eat. (and many, many more!)

Chapter 2 - get moving! Again, short sweet and to the point. (And did you know that simply increasing the incline on your treadmill will result in a significant calorie burn without increasing your speed?) Chapter 3 - hitting the grocery store,additives, smart choices and more. I was surprised to find cleaning and personal care products discussed as well. Chapter 4 - parties, work, restaurants, travelling etc.

Chapter 5 - Now here's the chapter I spent the most time on - reading and re reading. Because this is where I fall down. Staying motivated. This was one of the best chapters of the book for me. The last few chapters deal with hints, tips and more ideas. Scattered throughout the book are 'slim myth boxes' that dispel notions such as 'lifting weights will make you bulky'. There's also EZ calorie cut boxes scattered throughout suggesting alternatives that will save you calories.

I'm glad I took time to read Slim for Life slowly and think about what changes I want to incorporate in my life. Slim for Life will be a resource that I refer back to for sure. I like the fact that Michaels does not dictate, instead she provides a wealth of suggestions for you to choose from and tailor to your life. Her no nonsense, straight shooter approach appeals to me. I would have liked to have seen some photos of the exercises she mentions though.

"I don't want this book to be a once-read, I want you to reread it and use it over and over as often as you need to for its information and or reassurance. With it you can keep the special combination that belongs only to you, one that cracks the code of how to get and stay slim for life."

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and time, 20 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss (Kindle Edition)
I have always been a fan of Jullian Micheals and like that she is very straight forward but this book is a complete waste of money and time. It describes exercises to do with no illustrations, describes a "diet" with no examples or meal plan, gives very general advise thats available on Google or any basic fitness website. It has some points system in it which makes no sense as you have to complete the entire book to get the overall score. It gives you silly advice like to use a basket or trolley when grocery shopping. There is a myth buster on every other page but google will work far better if you really want to know. Rather buy a fitness DVD of hers instead, as this will help burn calories instead of brain cells!

5.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive, excellent easy read, 2 April 2014
Excellent format (tips, points system) makes sure that you do more than just read this book-you actually implement it! Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim for Life., 15 Dec. 2013
Another great book from Jillian Micheals.
Keep on writing Jillian.You are still my fav trainer on tv 2day. please come back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim For Life., 24 Nov. 2013
So far i love reading the books i have bought of Jillian,s and now i own 3.
Wish she,d write more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Myth slamming, practical and thought provoking., 23 Sept. 2013
Mrs. C. L. Evans "write2car" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Liked facts, writing style and practical advice. Didn't like detailed exercise descriptions (need to look them up to get it), and that the book hasn't been edited for the UK market, meaning lots of references either aren't relevant, helpful or recognisable (such as product and people references). Still really enjoyed the book however, and certainly feel there are life changers which will help me enhance my lifestyle for the long term.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rating, 17 May 2013
Really helpful in helping someone to get in shape and lead a healthier lifestyle. Also motivational ad really easy to understand the concepts

5.0 out of 5 stars Jillian fan, 14 May 2013
As a big Jillian Michaels fan this book was a must have. Great straight forward advice given in a no-nonsense way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of little tips adding to good results, 17 Jan. 2015
Found this really helpful in focussing. So far down just over nineteen pounds with aid of this. I particularly love the pick and choose element as I'm stubborn by nature and like to work out my own plan!

5.0 out of 5 stars straight talking - I loved it!, 16 Sept. 2014
Excellent advice on health & fitness. A very readable book, one that I can go back to to refresh my motivation or try out some new ideas. Thanks JM.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›