on 27 May 2014
I bought this anemometer for use in a field study project I'll be carrying out shortly, and was attracted by the price and the mostly favourable reviews.

The device fits comfortably in your hand, is lightweight and seems quite sturdy, which was a great start! the LCD screen is very clear and the light is bright, and it's very easy to operate. The range of wind measurements, from miles per hour to knots is simple to use and read, and the beaufort scale runs up the side of the screen which is very useful. It measures the current, average and maximum values for both wind speed and temperature depending on which mode you select, which is very easy to do.

The casing seems quite a good support for the device as well - unlike other reviews have mentioned, the battery did arrive with the anemometer, and was easy to pop into the back, no need to use a screwdriver. The only practical issue with the device is that to switch between temperature readings of celsius and farenheit is to use a needle in a small, reset type button on the back of the anemometer under the casing, which can be quite footery if you are using it out in the field.

However, I've taken it out and about with me to test it before I actually start my study, and found that the thermometer does not work at all - initially I thought that this might be because I had not calibrated the anemometer, but there is seemingly no way to do this. It measures every temperature as being around 19 to 21 degrees celsius - even when I put it in my freezer for five minutes! The wind speed measurements seem to be ok, and usually match up with the data given by the MetOffice for the area that I measured it in.

Overall disappointed, just because it doesn't do its job properly - will hold on to because the wind speed seems to function ok, but annoyed that I have to buy another thermometer separately. Would recommend investing in a more expensive device if you need it to function accurately.
on 6 March 2015
A rather nifty pocket sized piece of kit that does exactly what it says on the tin and at a price that can't be beaten.

My one gripe is a user oversight, but it could lead others towards the same trap. It comes without the battery fitted! As I opened it I didn’t notice the battery drop on the floor and thought it may be fitted but with a film of plastic to stop the battery drawing power until it had been removed. When I tried to remove the battery cover I didn’t immediately realise that the yellow cover is just a rubberised one piece cover. The way it's set up on the back it looks as if you can remove a coin sized section to get at the battery. So I made a few marks before the penny dropped and I removed the cover correctly. All my fault and I still give it five stars. So it you buy it take heed of my initial errors.

Finally on effectiveness I took it down the slipway today and it gave a reading slightly lower than the clubhouse anemometer (to be expected). But it was effective in all modes and will cause some amusement among my fellow dinghy sailors.

Buy one - you don’t need it but you want it....
on 21 February 2013
5 stars. it is rugged due to the yellow rubberised case around it and i have been using it for weeks and the battery hasn't run out yet, it even comes with a spare battery. I like the choice between having current, average and max airspeed and i also ike how you can put it into Knots. Perfect for seeing how windy it is at the gliding club. would recoment
on 21 October 2013
A good accurate wind meter. I like the ease of battery change. My last expensive Swiss one was a nightmare and was really a jewellers job, impossible in the field or on a boat. I would reccommend this product for it's accuracy and amazing value.
on 18 October 2013
It does all it needs to. Perfect value for money. The only small disadvantage over the more expensive models is the directional placement of the fan. You need to position it exactly facing the wing to get the right measure unlike the ones where fan is located on top, on a vertical axis and collects the wind from any direction.
But for the money I'm very pleased with the product!!!
on 9 September 2013
work at height and been told needed some thing to monitor wind speeds to insure that we do not use equipment provided out side speed regulations. this has all the data in one location Temp,Speed in any setting you requies so good all round.
on 5 March 2015
I fly drones and this little but of kit is just great, it's compact, light , the display is easy to read and bright and the price is great, in fact it was the price that nearly out me off as I thought that something this cheap will be rubbish but no it's great, well built and does exactly what it's supposed to do , comes with a strap you can hang around your neck for easy access and looks great. Also very very fast delivery , great job seller.
on 20 February 2015
Extremely good value, well constructed and easy to use. I would recommend it for anyone who does not want to use it for "storm chasing" because the maximum air velocity it will record is 65 mph /55 knots or 90 Km/hr.
on 8 May 2013
purchased for shooting found the item compact and easy to use. The rubberised outer case provides good protection and it seam to be accurate.
on 27 August 2015
Superb value for money.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the wind gauge, but it definitely works well!

The built in thermometer is also quite good, and provided a temperature within 0.2 C of the house central heating sensor. I would have been happy if it was withing 1 degree, but its even more accurate than that.

Its also brightly coloured, comes with a large strap, its compact, light, feels reassuringly solid in your hand, nice large buttons, very clear & backlit screen.

Would recommend this product to anyone.