5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent
This is an album made with an obvious love - it's a true celebration of a wonderful career (so far) but it's more than just a retrospective. Each of the tracks (with one or two exceptions) has appeared on previous albums but here they've been reimagined with new arrangements, new musicians and a guest artist on almost every one.

Oddly enough, the only misstep...
Published 22 months ago by Kev

3.0 out of 5 stars 20 (Audio CD) Kate Rusby
This hard to say as I am a great fan of Ms Rusby but 20, like so many guest duet albums, often fails to improve on the (usually exquisite) originals and the slower tempo lends a uniform, slightly lifeless feel to the work. I hope this doesn't sound too critical, it's only because her live performances and previous albums are so very, very good.
Published 20 months ago by gaston

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 22 Oct 2012
Kev "Writer, geek, dad." (Alton, Hamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)

Oddly enough, the only misstep (for me) is the first track: Awkward Annie - I just found it a bit, awkward. "Unquiet Grave" almost had me in tears of sadness, "Who will sing me lullabies" had me even closer to the edge but "Planets" is simply gorgeous. "The Good Man" was the first Kate Rusby track I ever heard and I love the new version. My favourite track is probably "Underneath The Stars" which features the Grimethorpe Colliery Band - a beautiful song which somehow manages to be even better than the original.

All in all, a fabulous listen both for existing fans of Rusby and those wanting to find out what the fuss is all about. This is an album made by someone confident in her craft and ready for another 20.

And as for Baa Baa Black Sheep. "Cute" doesn't cut it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Melancholy and blissful, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
I've only listened to the first cd and for the first time today but I had to write something, it is wonderful. I am looking forward to going to work tomorrow so I can start listening again. Listening to this is a sweet, melancholy and blissful experience.

As you would expect, Kate Rusby's voice is achingly beautiful. The Rusby sound is still intact but the guests add new detail and depth to the songs. I found that the more different the guest vocalists' voices were, the more I liked the results. It's always lovely to hear Eddi Reader but, so far, the standout track for me has been 'Sungrazers'. As soon as Paul Weller chimed in I surprised myself by spontaneously burst into tears. It is a beautiful track and I love the combination of their voices.

I can't wait to get further into listening to this, it will bear many, many listenings. It is great value and it doesn't matter if you already have all of the original tracks, there will be something different for you here. I can't recommend this highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Rusby, 7 July 2013
M. J. Brazier - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
I loved it - especially Tracks 5,6 and 7. I would recommend this to all Rusby fans, it won't disappoint

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous easy-going folk album., 17 April 2013
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
With a very listenable voice and a great cross-section of tunes from Kate's last 20 years in the business, this is a great album to have, even if you're not massively into folk music. I think it will appeal to many people, who like all sorts of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully reinterpreted by a National Treasure, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
I know some fans don't like their favourite artists re-recording their work for compilation albums, but I do. I remember when Gordon Lightfoot released the two "Gord's Gold" albums, most of the tracks had been re-recorded and they were given wonderful new life. For me, it's the same here.

Kate Rusby has been quite brave in not only re-working these tunes, but also by bringing in artists she admires - and, for me, they all work! There isn't a bad track on the album. I even include Baa Baa Black Sheep in this statement - 27 seconds of little Daisy singing is fine by me. I also think we can now confirm that Kate is a pretty darn good songwriter. These are great songs, with Kate's voice is in great shape and all her fellow vocalists play their part in making the album such a success. However, I want to say how much I loved the instrumentation on this album - I love the use of the electric guitar, as on 'The Wild Goose' - inspired.

I was surprised by Paul Weller's rendition of 'Sun Grazers', which is fabulous; my other favourite is 'Who Will Sing Me Lullabies' with Richard Thompson - but it would be wrong to pick out just a couple for the twenty.

Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl's Still Got It!, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
All I can really do is echo the comments made by other reviewers. These CDs are nothing short of superb, and they have quite restored my faith in the Barnsley Nightingale after what I considered to be a rather 'poor' tour in 2011. Keep 'em coming Kate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seen live in Donny, 25 Oct 2013
Roger E. Cartwright (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
Went to see KR in Doncaster at our new theatre ( Cast). She was excellent and performed some of the tracks from the CD " 20 " so I just had to buy it for myself. Better price at Amazon than those selling on the night. Can never understand that !
Anyway, the CD is excellent and the "new " versions of these songs are all very good. Especially love the short track of Kate's daughter singing a nursery rhyme - so cute and an obvious star of the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20, 13 Jun 2013
P. Pavey (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 (Audio CD)
Lovely album from Kate Rusby, If you are a fan of her music then you surely will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic CD, 16 April 2013
This review is from: 20 (MP3 Download)
20 is a perfect combination of tracks, some slower, some more upbeat. Nice to hear some different styles with the addition of a brass band or collaborations with other great folk singers such as Paul Brady on All God's Angels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate 20/10, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: 20 (MP3 Download)
What a gorgeous voice she has. Can listen to her all day long and probably will do. Will buy more from her.

20 by Kate Rusby