5.0 out of 5 stars Best sound system I owned
Delivers simply magnificent, near sublime quality sound! Response to wide range of frequencies, from bass to tweet is well balanced. No distortions observed even at the maximum volume. Extremely good build quality. Love the minimalistic finish. Fits perfectly in my bookshelf.

Following an Apple-like, exciting yet pleasant unboxing the setup was extremely easy...
Published 21 months ago by S. Iyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound undermined by Airplay
Having purchased a recertified unit to keep the cost within reasonable limits my ultimate letdown with this unit (and the reason for its return) was its inability to keep a rock solid, stable, dropout free connection over Airplay. Unfortunately therein lies its Achilles heal - Apple's own products tend to perform flawlessly over Airplay but this sadly is amongst a growing...
Published 6 days ago by fallingforstars

5.0 out of 5 stars This speaker shows fantastic control, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins A7 Wireless Music System B&W (Electronics)
A very full sound, one which easily allows you to pick out individual instruments and carry the rhythm with those, impressive. It has amazing control over Bass, tight and crisp are two words which come to mind if that does not 'sound' stupid.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of its kind, 10 Nov 2013
I own many b&w products now and all have impressed me. This is no exception. Having owned a pair of brilliant mm1 speakers, I was pleased to find that the a7 retains all of the mid range and high frequency clarity that makes these little gems so stunning whilst providing a fuller yet tightly controlled bass.
The amplification has also impressed me. Sound quality and efficiency is present in droves and it made me wonder how b&w had mastered class d amplification when so many have failed to make these amplifier types sound musical at all. I think the zeppelin and a7 amplifiers come from a specialist manufacturer called Hypex who have simply stunning products and OEM amplifiers to leading brands. If your interested in class d technology then see their presentation material on their website.
The a7 is therefore the culmination of stunning electronics with B&w's acoustic mastery. It's without doubt the cream of the crop of airplay devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerisingly good - setup inside of a minute., 1 Nov 2013
It took me longer to remove the packaging than to set this speaker up. We can instantly stream from any of our Apple devices or run my Astell Kern AK120 with it.

I spend a fortune on audio equipment and have CIEMs, ultrasone edition 8s, custom built valve amps, etc.

I sat down this evening with some friends and we are all blown away by this little box. A friend of mine who is always keen to hear about my latest foray into audiophile geekness actually thought the sound was coming from my floor standing speakers and to be honest, for a second, I thought he was right.

Listening to DSD files of Blue Coast Records, ALAC files of Diana Krall, even MP3s of Dire Straits and Ultimae records... Everything sounded fresh and alive.

To be honest, I actually found it a little bass heavy when it was on a stone floor, but on a thick wooden bookshelf it was perfect.

Excellent SN ratios, fantastic bass extension, crisp but not sibilant in the trebles, engaging midtones. It, so far, works with every genre of music we have thrown at it.

Also, as the Airplay is so easy to use, I find I am less inclined to bother firing up the full HiFi stack and have been almost exclusively using this. It fills the whole open plan first floor with glorious sound. Thinking of getting a couple more for other parts of the home.

Highly recommended, worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality sound modern design, 26 Oct 2013
This at the moment is the best wireless streaming device available in my option. I own A5 Zeppelin Air and this. The A7 and zeppelin are in the living room surround sound you could say. A5 in the bedroom. All of the devices have great sound. But the A7 is the best out of the 3. It' has a clearer sound than the zeppelin. It's an individual choice as they all have there own sound. If you stream music on the zeppelin air and the A7 the zeppelin is a lot lower in sound. I think this is due to technology A7 purely designed to stream. A7 can be put on any shelf it looks cool but not in your face. The design and build quality is excellent. You can play your music using pc/ mac to all speakers at the same time. It's mental. One hell of a party just invite your neighbours. I do think that the A7 is a touch on the expensive side. It should be around 500 in my mind. But if you want one you have to pay the 699. Or as I did bought a brand new one on e bay for 550 job done. I have had a few issues with drop out on all devices recently. I'm on virgin media 100mbs which you would think you would not get this sort of thing with such fast connection. Anyway I have sorted problem hard wired all the devices using a ethereal plug device. No more problems better sound as well. I think it's more stable. So if you can hard wire do it. Wi fi is ok but not that reliable. you can plug the A7 into the tv oz plug computer into it. Or I pod whatever. Even if you don't have internet there are still options with great sound. If you can afford it buy all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Magnificent, 6 Feb 2013
A magnificent product, tremendous piece of industrial design and performance. Musical excellence, coupled with cutting edge technology, create an incredibly compelling product.

//Design
Minimalist, classy, expensive.

//Build Quality
Absolutely what you would expect from Bowers & Wilkins - top notch. From the nautilus tweeters, to the class D amplifiers powering each driver, this speaker oozes quality.

//Sound
Sublime! Detailed throughout the range, well balanced, and delivering the vinyl-esq warmth that is the B&W trademark. The soundstage produced from one box is incredible. The DAC upscales lossy MP3s to deliver a depth that only the most discerning of audiophiles will be pick holes in. In a word, incredible.

//AirPlay
Flawless, delivering lossless streams from iPad, iPhone and iMac without issue. One cautionary note, lossless streams require a strong WiFi connection to prevent break in streams from packet loss.

//Setup
A doddle, the app from B&W is simple and effective.

//A7 or A5?
I have both the A7 and the A5, so can make a real life comparison between the two. The A7 provides a more dynamic range from the seperate sub-woofer, offering greater detail in the low to mid range. The A5 therefore has a 'fresher' feel, with greater reliance on mid range. However, both are incredible, and in a blind test the average consumer would be hard pushed to notice the difference. If you have the money, get the A7, however if you get the A5 you will be more than happy.

//Summary
This speaker will make you fall in love with music again. Get one without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound. The best iPod speaker I have heard., 15 Feb 2013
Mr. Ciaran Diver (Bedfordshire) - See all my reviews
Having researched and listened to a number of iPod speakers, I settled on the A7. The clarity and depth of sound is second to none whilst the design is simple and not over-stated.

It is true that the stereo separation is limited as the speakers are in a single unit, however, the musical quality more than compensates for this. I compared it to my old Denon hi-fi with Mission speakers and found the sound to be brighter and warmer. Many will say that to get real sound quality you need to purchase a hi-fi system with freestanding speakers. That may be true for an audiophile, but for someone that wants the convenience of an iPod speaker system, that's compact, good looking and still delivers, then the A7 sets the standard.

The Airplay setup app is easy to use and airplay works well. However, a common complaint is that unless the network signal strength is of a high quality at all times, the unit can intermittently stop playing. It has happened to me about 4 times in 2 months but has not spoiled my listening.

It does not have a dock, relying on AirPlay, which means no ugly bits hanging off the box and no need to worry about different types of connectors depending on which Apple device you have.

Pros:
Superb sound quality
Simple styling
Good build quality
Convenience

Cons:
The price. Everywhere sells it at the same price so you cannot pick up a bargain. If it is within your budget, you will not be disappointed.
It is designed primarily for use with Apple devices using AirPlay.
AirPlay relies on a good quality network signal (although it does have an Ethernet port and 3.5mm jack if AirPlay is a problem)

Verdict:
If you are looking for a high quality iPod speaker and can afford it, then in my opinion the A7 is the best you can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 April 2013
Fabulous sound from such a compact unit. Only problem i had was in set up, it would not connect to my devices but I reset the unit and no other problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Plays half a song really well, 12 Jan 2014
I bought this so I could stream spotify but rarely played more than half a song before freezing spotify and airplay ceasing to recognise the speaker.did not work when tried to stream from another I pad and iPhone . Phoned the manufacturer who suggested factory reset for iPad reinstall all apps .tried it with Napster too -same problem
Sound great when it works but for the price u expect it to work and I am not interested in 1001 techie DIY attempts to get it to work . Returned to store

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good , but not engaging or exciting in any way...., 27 Dec 2013
Hi,
I recently purchased that "top notch dock" and out of the box the sound was dull , muffed etc. but after 30h burn in it became shiny and very good.
But for that price I was expecting more dynamics more involving sound , the truth is that is very balanced , very present in all the spectrum but lacks the pumps and drums.
For the rest is ok - very stable airplay and nice set of inputs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 9 Nov 2012
I have a zeppelin in a room and this in a room next door... Cannot describe in words how good the sound is... Why should I ;-)

Bowers & Wilkins A7 Wireless Music System B&W