‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sound system I owned, 7 Nov. 2012
S. Iyer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins A7 Wireless Music System B&W (Electronics)
Delivers simply magnificent, near sublime quality sound! Response to wide range of frequencies, from bass to tweet is well balanced. No distortions observed even at the maximum volume. Extremely good build quality. Love the minimalistic finish. Fits perfectly in my bookshelf.

Following an Apple-like, exciting yet pleasant unboxing the setup was extremely easy. Simply connected to the power cord. Set it up with the App from iPhone. Just had to follow through the user-friendly wizard. It was up and running in about 3 minutes.

B&W gives three months of gift subscription for the Society of Sound where you could obtain high-fidelity albums, with which, the true potential of this system could be unleashed.

Room for improvement
No wireless N support.
Although A7 DAC is capable of processing 96kHz/24 bits, currently AirPlay (apparently due to limitations of AirPlay protocol) supports only up to 44.1kHz/16 bits.

5.0 out of 5 stars This speaker is quite simply amazing. It looks elegant, 29 Aug. 2014
ASW (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Let's be honest, no one buys this piece of kit without seriously looking in to it first. This speaker is quite simply amazing. It looks elegant, it feels luxurious to the touch but most importantly, it sounds absolutely incredible. I have mine connected by optical cable to the TV and the sound produced, especially with HD movies is nothing short of breath-taking. AirPlay streaming of music is so far flawless and the quality of the sound is unrivalled. House music comes alive with smooth deep base and elegant midrange. Buy this. It is expensive to say the least but without question you get what you pay for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound undermined by Airplay, 14 Aug. 2014
fallingforstars (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Having purchased a recertified unit to keep the cost within reasonable limits my ultimate letdown with this unit (and the reason for its return) was its inability to keep a rock solid, stable, dropout free connection over Airplay. Unfortunately therein lies its Achilles heal - Apple's own products tend to perform flawlessly over Airplay but this sadly is amongst a growing clutch of components which have difficulty maintaining a stable wireless performance. The sonic abilities of the A7 are matchless and its performance is pure class, but if like me you need that performance to not suffer from the odd dropout then it will eventually result in disappointment. I tried to convince myself that it had to be my router so proceeded to upgrade; a pointless excercise, as was extending my Devolo homeplug network and connecting by ethernet. I tried my very best to live with the result as the sound is that good but one or two dropouts with varying degrees of occurrance is just too much for me. I love Apple products but Airplay is flawed and certainly does have issues on non Apple equipment while ever it is the control element of the setup. I would have no hesitation in returning to the A7 should this problem be resolved to my satisfaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed!, 18 Aug. 2013
I was excited to be getting the new B&W A7, to operate in our large kitchen diner. However I could not get it to work. I am pretty computer savvy, but the B&W Control App would not work from my iPhone 5 and could not find the device on my network. I then tried to set up using my mac book pro, again with no success. I concluded the problem was with my BT Hub3 and I decided to cancel the order and return to Amazon, rather than buy a new router as well. Having slept on the matter, I decided to try again, firstly I did a reset on the A7, I then tried to download B&W control app on to my windows PC - bingo the A7 appeared on my wi-fi. It is now set up on 2 iPhones, an iPad , a mac and a PC. It is superb, the sound quality is excellent, it looks good and although wi-fi is not brilliant in our old house has not dropped the signal once. I am so impressed I am thinking of purchasing more A7's. Expensive, yes, but a vey good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great product, let down by ripoff UK pricing, 13 Nov. 2012
Sonic perfection in a sleek understated package.

Pros:
- Amazing sound, particularly the bass which belies the small profile of the unit
- Beautifully styled: a pure minimalistic form that sits comfortably in every room
- Very easy to setup using the B&W application

Cons
- A pricing policy that means it retails for ~£500 in the US. Even factoring in a 20% VAT tax differential, that is still £100 below the UK price.

I find it sickening that B&W feel they can ripoff their home market to this extent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 2 Jan. 2015
I'm not really certain why anyone would ever have a problem. I run it with a 5G iPod off my iMac too. As someone who sold all their kit; Audiolab pre/power and Mission 753's I was determined to have something small but that would offer quality of sound.

I listen to many different types of music and have found it perfect on every occasion. I adjust eq through ipod Touch if I need to; say classical music setting.

All I wish is that I had the money to have two running in tandem.

To me this unit was easy to set up, runs faultlessly, and gets better once all speakers within have relaxed.

I'm a pensioner BTW so not clever on gadgets.

Six stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of its kind, 10 Nov. 2013
I own many b&w products now and all have impressed me. This is no exception. Having owned a pair of brilliant mm1 speakers, I was pleased to find that the a7 retains all of the mid range and high frequency clarity that makes these little gems so stunning whilst providing a fuller yet tightly controlled bass.
The amplification has also impressed me. Sound quality and efficiency is present in droves and it made me wonder how b&w had mastered class d amplification when so many have failed to make these amplifier types sound musical at all. I think the zeppelin and a7 amplifiers come from a specialist manufacturer called Hypex who have simply stunning products and OEM amplifiers to leading brands. If your interested in class d technology then see their presentation material on their website.
The a7 is therefore the culmination of stunning electronics with B&w's acoustic mastery. It's without doubt the cream of the crop of airplay devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 11 Jun. 2013
This is one of those products that you buy and fill compelled to review as it's so good, and so here it is.

Sound:
First thing, your A7 is going to need a couple of hours of runtime to sound its best. Out of the box it's going to sound a bit muffled and odd. Like all speakers once worn it'll reach its full potential.

The general trend is very clean and clear sound, with a tad more bass than that's truly natural, as noted in the What HiFi? review. I actually like the extra bass, and it's no way obtrusive or over-bearing, but rather gives it a sense of scale and power. This should be expected really, considering it features a larger six inch woofer as compared to the Zeppelin Air's five inch, which I felt lacked the scale of the A7's sound. Spencer and Antfood's 'Trek' illustrates the scale of the sound very well in my opinion.

The mids are clear and neutral, if not just a very tad recessed in favour of the higher notes. Vocals are strong, with One Republic's 'Feel Again' sounding incredibly good for a system of this size. In fact I can rather easily fool myself into thinking I'm listening to my much larger Bowers & Wilkins 683 floor standers.

Highs are ultra clear, never sounding harsh or garish. Female vocals are supremely clean and are a pleasure to listen to.

The A7 goes incredibly loud, filling medium to large rooms with remarkable ease. I found the A7 actually sounds better in a corner or out of the way a bit (for example on a shelf), rather than being on an island in the middle of a room, thus I recommend you place your A7 near a wall, more out of the way.

Design:
Typical Bowers & Wilkins quality, I.e. very good. The aluminium band is incredibly classy, wrapping around the speaker very nicely. I really like the little LED that shines through, very discrete indeed.

I think the remote control looks a tad off, not quite suiting the minimalist styling of the A7 with its odd shape and glossy black finish (more suited to the Zeppelin I think). Nevertheless it's the standard Bowers & Wilkins remote and still works fine. From my day to day usage I've found I haven't used it at all anyway.

The A7 is fairly weighty and quite large, but still pretty easy to transport around to various places if necessary.

Setup:
The setup was very simple. All that's needed to do is download the Bowers & Wilkins app, then run through the steps to connect the A7 to the respected Wi-Fi network. Once that's done you shouldn't ever have to use app again, with it appearing as an AirPlay speaker on any iOS device connected to the same network.

It's a bit strange the A7 has no 802.11N, only 802.11G. Not a problem at all just thought it's a bit odd.

Regarding criticism that it needs a strong Wi-Fi network, I didn't really find this to be the case. For me it has about the same connection strength as my iPhone 5.

Conclusion:
Overall it's incredible! Whilst expensive, the sound is truly astonishing, design is wonderful, and setup is a breeze. I don't think the high price warrants a deduction in stars, considering this is the finest AirPlay system out there. If you want an incredible sounding AirPlay speaker this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pristine faultless sound quality, 24 July 2015
Fatboy (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I will point out that I didn’t purchase my A7 from here, but thought I would share my review to hopefully help other potential purchasers.

The way I listen to my music has changed over recent years and now most of my music is either on my Mac, iPhone or music streaming.

I was looking for a easy and reliable way to wirelessly play the music from my iPhone and Mac and that got me looking at Airplay systems, another reason for me looking at Airplay systems was Airplay allows lossless audio playback.

Before I decided on an Airplay system I’d done extensive research and looked at several others such as Bose and Sonos (Sonos was a no no for me as I read that it won’t support Apple Music till later in 2015) but these systems meant the need to install a separate third party app (which after reading some of the manufacturers app reviews gave me the impression they were not that good) and then either add or point the app in the direction of your music, whereas with the B&W A7 you don’t need to install another app so that you can then have your music play through their system. With the B&W A7, you simply load up your default music app, Spotify etc and you then see the Airplay symbol, and touching this allows you to choose the B&W A7 from the list and you then have absolutely prestige high quality audio playing through their system. You basically use the apps you already have that contain your music/music streaming service and you are then good to go.

A tip I will give for turning your A7 into an internet radio, is to download the Tunein app for your iPhone, iPad. Basically the Tunein app is a internet radio player (that supports Airplay I will add) and allows you to either search for the radio station by name, you can also browse the genres, and also Countries for the radio stations available. All the well known stations are there. Most of the well known radio stations and even local ones too now stream their broadcasts over the internet. The sound quality is very good, admittedly not up to the quality of the likes of Spotify or Apple Music, but very good quality all the same.

I listen to most of my music now though streaming music and I use Apple Music and Spotify (for the time been) and the B&W A7 works flawlessly with these apps. The sound quality is absolutely amazing (especially with Apple Music). Beats radio, and the other radio stations sound excellent also.

The B&W A7 has a very minimalist design. The top of the A7 is finished in aluminium and on the middle region of the A7 is an aluminium band that has the Bowers & Wilkins brand engraved into it. On the left side of this band is the Standby/sleep control and on the right handside is the volume controls, which B&W have very nicely designed into the aluminium band, you only know the controls are there due to engraved symbols for the controls in this section. Apart from that there is a small LED on the front which changes colour depending on the input selected (purple for Airplay, orange for AUX, green for USB inputs and lastly red for sleep). The full front, sides and most of the back of the A7 is covered in a rather nice looking black cloth. It looks absolutely stunning but not flashy or stand outish.

On the back are a USB input (for if you want an alternative way to connect the B&W A7 to your PC, Mac) and AUX port (which on the A7 supports both analogue and digital inputs). With the relevant lead, the AUX port can be used for example to connect a TV to the A7 to output the TV’s sound. I have my TV connected to my A7 with a Optic audio cable to 3.5mm Jack cable. I used to have a soundbar for my tv, but the A7 does a lot better job than the soundbar did. Other suggestions for things you can connect to the AUX port are:

Computer
Games consoles
CD player
DVD player
MP3 player
Smartphones
DAB radio

Also on the back is the power socket for to connect the mains cable. Ethernet port (for people who prefer to connect their B&W A7 to their router with a wired connection). The Flowport for the subwoofer and lastly is a little reset hole, which is used for if you need to reset your A7, you reset by inserting a paperclip into the reset hole.

The A7 comes with a small remote control which looks like a pebble, its finished in a glossy black finish. You can use the remote control to turn up/down the volume, skip tracks, pause/play tracks on your iPhone. You can also selected the other inputs that you might perhaps have connected to the A7.

Out of the box, the setup took around 5 minutes before I was listening to music from my iPhone. To make the setup really easy and for want of a better word, hold your hand and walk you through the setup, you can install the B&W Connect app. Bowers & Wilkins really have done a superb job to make the setup of the A7 as simple as possible, the app is very written and well laid out and tells you exactly what you need to do and the most complicated thing the Connect app asks you to do is to enter your wifi password. Once you have went through this setup, then thats it, you don’t need to do it again. Another feature the Connect app has, is to inform you when there are Firmware updates for the A7 (for example to fix a bug in an earlier version or to perhaps add a new feature).

After this, you can then enjoy the outstanding sound quality. To guarantee prestige audio quality the A7 has two Nautilus tweeters (which are in B&W flagship floor standing speakers) two mid range speakers and one sub woofer. The A7 also has a high quality class-D amplifier, Digital Signal Processing, Switch mode power supply.

The A7, has a sleep and standby mode (both of which use 0.5 watts as I was told when I enquired with B&W). In standby mode, the A7’s LED is not lit. In sleep mode the LED is lit red. Personally I leave my A7 in sleep mode for convenience, of which I will explain next.

In sleep mode, the A7 is for want of a better word, is listening on the network for any of its inputs been used. So, with the A7 in sleep mode, if I start playing music on my iPhone and choose the A7 from the list of Airplay devices, the A7 immediately wakes and outputs the sound from my iPhone. Likewise too for the AUX input that I use.

Lastly I will cover my experience on the sound quality the A7 produces. Sound quality is subjective, but I find the sound quality from the A7 to be the best I have heard. And I have heard quite a few different systems over the years, ranging from £2000 hifi separates to Bose systems. Bose are good, but I think are a bit overrated and bass concentrated and lacking in the higher frequencies of the sound spectrum, but that’s another story.

Every part of the sound frequency spectrum is pristinely produced with the A7, from the deep bass (which I hasten to add does not mar the other higher frequencies) and the pristine mid and high frequencies, the detail in the high/treble frequencies are beautifully detailed. The sound is for want of a better word, very spacious and you would think you were listening to a much wider speaker arrangement than what you are. The A7 does not have any sort of graphic equaliser, but any alteration you want to do, can be done from within the settings on your iPhone. There are many preset ones in there such as Treble Booster, Classical to name a couple. But for my ears, I have the EQ switched off and this outputs the sound with no alteration to the recorded sound.

Admittedly the A7 is expensive, but I was lucky enough to catch one well known shop (JL) that had £100 off at the time I ordered, but still £600-£700 is a lot of money, but in the same breath a few years ago, to get this sort of sound quality, you would be looking at a separates hifi system that would be much more than the price the A7 is. But this sort of sound quality doesn’t come cheap, so if you are in the market for a very high quality sounding wireless music system that will work with your current music apps very easily and without the need to install a clunky third party app, then I can highly recommend the Bowers & Wilkins A7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality sound modern design, 26 Oct. 2013
This at the moment is the best wireless streaming device available in my option. I own A5 Zeppelin Air and this. The A7 and zeppelin are in the living room surround sound you could say. A5 in the bedroom. All of the devices have great sound. But the A7 is the best out of the 3. It' has a clearer sound than the zeppelin. It's an individual choice as they all have there own sound. If you stream music on the zeppelin air and the A7 the zeppelin is a lot lower in sound. I think this is due to technology A7 purely designed to stream. A7 can be put on any shelf it looks cool but not in your face. The design and build quality is excellent. You can play your music using pc/ mac to all speakers at the same time. It's mental. One hell of a party just invite your neighbours. I do think that the A7 is a touch on the expensive side. It should be around £500 in my mind. But if you want one you have to pay the £699. Or as I did bought a brand new one on e bay for £550 job done. I have had a few issues with drop out on all devices recently. I'm on virgin media 100mbs which you would think you would not get this sort of thing with such fast connection. Anyway I have sorted problem hard wired all the devices using a ethereal plug device. No more problems better sound as well. I think it's more stable. So if you can hard wire do it. Wi fi is ok but not that reliable. you can plug the A7 into the tv oz plug computer into it. Or I pod whatever. Even if you don't have internet there are still options with great sound. If you can afford it buy all of them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›