4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard.
Bought this keyboard to replace a very old Logitech Wave keyboard that was finally becoming too difficult to use day-to-day. I am using this as a software developer, so it get's a lot of use (and abuse) over the course of a day. Please bear this in mind as the review might be a bit programmer-centric in places.

The keyboard is (as described) wireless, so it...
Published 10 months ago by K. Nicoll

3.0 out of 5 stars A good keyboard spoilt by poor tacktile feel
Microsoft ergonomic keyboard

What is it
This is a keyboard made to make touch typing easier and give support to the hands and wrists to prevent repetitive strain injuries. It is a wireless keyboard and comes with receiver unit and fitted batteries.
You need to pull out a small blue tab from underneath to activate the pre-installed batteries...
Published 23 months ago by RJP the Book Boy

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard., 12 Aug. 2014
K. Nicoll - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)

The keyboard is (as described) wireless, so it comes with a dongle and a set of batteries. It's a little disappointing that the dongle is so large though (the dongle is about USB-stick sized) when compared to the fairly common micro-dongle that barely sticks out from your USB port. This will probably be an issue for people that want portability.

Surprisingly the included batteries were Duracell, so I expect that they'll last quite a long time. I haven't experienced (as far as I can tell) and issues with the wireless so far. To "turn on" the keyboard, simply pull out the blue tag on the back of the keyboard. Once you've done this, and Windows has finished installing the drivers, the keyboard will be usable. There's no need to turn the keyboard off as it does not use any power when a key is not pressed. One minor annoyance I find with this "always on" design is that aside from the battery warning light, there are no indicator lights on the keyboard at all. This means that you cannot tell if num lock or caps lock is enabled.

Contrary to the images on the product page, the keyboard itself is an English (Great Britain) layout. This means you get a double-height enter/return key, and a backslash key in the lower left. Shift + 3 produces a £ symbol, rather than a #.

The keyboard is mostly the standard EN-GB layout. Microsoft have an annoying habit of screwing around with the keys on the right side of their keyboards (notably the home/end/pgup/pgdn/insert/delete keys and the arrow keys). This keyboard is no exception, however the changes are limited only to a double height delete key, and moving the insert key to the top row of the keyboard (where the F1-F12 keys are). I don't find this a problem because I don't really use the insert key. Other than that, the layout is basically unchanged, a rare win for Microsoft keyboards these days. It's worth noting at this point that although the keyboard doesn't appear to have a "BREAK" key, it actually does. It can be found, unlabelled, between the insert key and the calculator shortcut key (the key that says "ScrLk"). As someone who uses the BREAK key a lot, this caused me to panic briefly.

The split-in-half space key is fine for day-to-day use. I don't have it set as a backspace key, so both halves are used as space. The space-space/backspace-space mode can be toggled by holding down both space keys for about 5 seconds.

I find this keyboard very comfortable to use every day. Other reviewers are correct that the tactile feedback isn't the best, but it's definitely not bad. The keyboard is angled upward by design, although you can flatten it by lifting the feet at the bottom of the wrist-rest. The wrist-rest is very comfortable. Unlike the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic keyboard 4000, the curve in this keyboard is quite subtle, so people like me who find the split-keyboard style of the 4000 or the more expensive sculpt keyboard hard to get used to will prefer this.

The keyboard has a set of media keys at the top, as a set of Fn keys with the F1-F12 keys. It has the following keys:

- Play/Pause
- Mute
- Volume Up
- Volume Down
- Search (Windows 8 only)
- Share (Windows 8 only)
- Devices (Windows 8 only)
- Settings (Windows 8 only)
- Win+Tab feature (Windows 7+)

There are three more Windows 8 specific keys that I can't figure out (using on Windows 7). These can be toggled on/off by using a switch on the far right of the keyboard. It's a bit baffling to me that they don't include next/previous track keys, but do include a play/pause button.

Overall, I would have preferred a dedicated set of media keys, but the switch makes them easy to access. However, since (again) there are no indicator lights on the keyboard, you may find yourself occasionally hitting the media keys instead of the F keys. Something I do quite often.

In summary, I have very few complaints so far. I find the keyboard mostly a delight to use, with a few niggles here and there. A good overall experience though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard with a nice feel to it., 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
A very nice keyboard, that doesn't take up too much room on my desk. The keys have a nice feel to them. The only downside for me is that the arrow keys are a little too close to the number keys and sometimes I hit zero instead of the move cursor right key.

You have the option with the split space bar to change the right hand side of the bar to a backspace key. The problem here is that if like me you're right handed, you will tend to have your right thumb resting on the bar and that every time you hit it thinking you're hitting the space key you are actually hitting the delete key. For me I found it very unnatural to use my left thumb for space so I ended up turning this function off and reverting the right hand side back to a space bar. Otherwise a good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and great for Windows 8, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
I wanted a slightly more comfortable keyboard for my desktop, this one has an ergonomic design with a cushioned pad so I thought I'd give it a try.

Pros:
+ The cushioned pad is just soft enough, and with the legs up puts your wrists in a very comfortable position. This is also removable if you prefer not to use one.
+ There are loads of Windows 8 specific buttons that are very useful, such as switch app and settings. But there is the option to use these buttons as your standard function buttons such as f5 for refresh.
+ The buttons have a nice feel to them, and don't take long to get used to.
+ The split spacebar will be useful, when I get used to it!
+ The keyboard is UK layout, unlike that in the picture. Therefore you get a big enter button, not the little one shown.

Cons:
- There are no visual indicators for caps/num/scroll lock.
- The wireless USB receiver is quite large.

I would definitely recommend this keyboard, but it would be easily made better by a smaller USB receiver and lights for the lock buttons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, quiet keyboard, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
I've always had Microsoft keyboards as I've found them to be very good quality and easy to use.
Bought this one as I was specifically looking for a quieter keyboard that my current Microsoft one - as I use it for work and am often on phone calls where people can hear me typing. I tried it in a shop and it seemed quiet - then bought it on Amazon - and very happy with it. It's really quite quiet - and it has a really nice feel to it.
The curve is gentle enough to be nice to use - but not like some ergonomic ones where you need to learn to type again. It took a few days to get used to - but I'm fine with it now. It's got a nice natural rise so it feels comfortable to use. There's an interesting option to tilt the keyboard back - ie. raise the front - which makes far more sense for your wrists than having the back higher - but didn't seem to suit me too well - and it was already comfortable when flat so I'm using it like that - but might be a good option for some people.
It has an odd feature where the space bar is split - and you can use one half as a backspace - which seems like an odd thing to do anyway - and I tried it for a bit I just couldn't get used to it after years of using the normal backspace key - but luckily you can disable that and just use the whole space bar as.....a space!
A couple of minor niggles which stop me giving it 5 stars.
The first is that the right cursor key is too close to the number pad - and there's no difference in touch (eg. no raised surface on one of the keys) - so when you're not looking - I find myself feeling around for where the cursor key is - or pressing the '0' key by mistake.
The second is probably common to a lot of keyboards - where the Fn keys - F4, F5 etc - are combined with 'special' keys - such as the volume keys etc. - with a switch on the top right which lets you choose between them. I use the Fn keys all the time - as I work in IT, and also basic windows Alt+F4 stuff - so I always have the switch set to the Fn keys - which effectively means this keyboard has no volume control as it's not worth flicking the switch to use the special keys. Minor gripe - and most keyboards seem to be going this way - so not special to this one - but I find it quite annoying.

So - really good quality keyboard - for a decent price. Buy it today!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good keyboard spoilt by poor tacktile feel, 4 Aug. 2013
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Microsoft ergonomic keyboard

What is it

Layout
The layout is a standard UK qwerty type with extra function keys that can be switched on and off. There are several additions for Windows 8 users on the function keys (I am using Windows 7 so cannot comment on the usefulness of these)

Set up
I plugged in the USB receiver unit and the keyboard was found and set up correctly with no intervention from me.

In use
I do find it rests my hands more and I can type slightly faster than with my old Microsoft keyboard. It is definitely more comfortable to use for long typing sessions.
I feel the keyboard is let down by the dead feel of the keys, there is no feedback and this makes it easy to make mistakes. This is a pity but the tactile feel of the keyboard feels no better than the cheap one it has replaced.

Over all
A nice keyboard spoilt by a lack of tactile feedback.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you are typing in other languages than English!, 5 Jun. 2013
L. Gorasinski (Henley-on-Thames) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
I have bought this keyboard thinking it would be a nice replacement for the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
that has failed on me after 4.5 years of heavy use (the Enter button stopped working completely).

Unfortunately I type in all sorts of languages and I need to use the ALT GR (and ALT) key a lot to get special characters.
This keyboard's space bars are so wide that the Alt Gr is moved about an inch to the right from where it usually is (or supposed to be)
making it nearly impossible to press along with other keys in the middle of the keyboard, like Alt+C without moving hand into a very unnatural position.
That fundamental design flaw of an "ergonomic" keyboard is one I will never understand, especially when companies like Microsoft have endless R&D resources and they still decide to go backwards with the design of an important tool.
Additionally, you can not raise the back of the keyboard, only the front, which I personally find a little bit odd.

I would suggest to Microsoft to create a new Wireless version of the Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with better quality of keys (less prone to wear out quickly) and lighter space bar, then everyone would have a winner!
I would buy it on the day of release!

PS. I am typing this on a straight Microsoft Wireless 3000 keyboard and my wrist is killing me already! Time to get another wired 4000 model.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing keyboard, 9 Jan. 2014
viewfinder8878 (Happy Valley, - Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
Bought this keyboard as I have setup my laptop to be a desktop (with monitor etc.) and it's fantastic. It's a pleasure to type on, it takes a little bit of getting used to but it doesn't hurt your wrists after a lot of typing like some keyboards do. I initially thought the split spacebar/backspace design was weird, but after a few weeks it's become indispensable. The only downside I've found to this keyboard is the function switch; it can be annoying to switch between the keys (volume, search etc.) and then have to change back to use the F keys. Other than that, a great, comfortable purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Keyboard with 1 Improvement Needed, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout (Accessory)
I bought this keyboard as a Christmas present last year for my dad as he was in need of a new keyboard. I always use Microsoft keyboards at work and home so stuck to what I know although this was a new model for me. As he works from home and can spend many hours at the computer, I opted for an 'ergonomic' or 'comfort' one, in the hopes that it would be better for him.

The shape of the keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to but once you have, it is very easy and very usable. The #1 thing that needs improvement on this keyboard is that there is no light indication for Caps Lock (or numlock or scroll lock), so many a time we haven't realised that caps lock is still on. Occasionally, the caps lock button is unresponsive as you have to press the caps lock button more than once to get it to turn off!

My dad hasn't used the split space bar function but it doesn't seem integral to the keyboard. I know sometimes my space bar gets stuck so it isn't a bad thing that the space bar is split into two even if you don't use the extra function on this keyboard.

The built in wrist support is very comfortable (and removable) and I wouldn't buy a keyboard without one, particularly for regular use.

This has been used with Windows 7 with no problems so couldn't comment on the Windows 8 specific buttons as mentioned by another reviewer. I can also confirm that this keyboard has the UK keyboard layout. No problems with the wireless nature of this keyboard either - worked as it should from day 1. There is a switch feature for changing the function keys.

Overall, this keyboard is good but could definitely be improved with indicator lights for the caps lock button. I would consider buying this keyboard again but would also consider other Microsoft keyboards taking into account price, whether it is wireless and how 'ergonomic' it looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice keyboard but the transceiver may have bootup issues with some USB hubs, 22 July 2013
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This keyboard follows the style of the previous Microsoft sculpted keyboards but it has a detachable wrist rest, it has 2.4Ghz wireless and a function switch that can allocate Windows 8 shortcuts to the function keys. It also allows the left hand half of the space bar to be designated as a space bar or backspace key. The detachable wrist rest has flip-out legs to raise the front edge of the keyboard. Touch typists are hardly likely to use the rest and us 'hunt and peck' typists may also prefer to detach it.

The key action is pleasant and quiet and, the white-on-black characters are clearer than on the Microsoft 3000 USB keyboard. However, although the 3000 keyboard has white text on the edge of certain keys to show the shortcut - for example the P key has * Print on the front edge - this keyboard has that text in a dark blue-grey that can hardly be read.

I plugged the transceiver in an Anker USB hub Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub with 12V 2A Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset] that is backwards compatible with USB 2 and USB 1 and tried booting up without installing the transceiver drivers. Windows 7 64 bit failed to recognise it and disabled the transceiver. Unplugging and reinserting the transceiver USB with the system running enabled the drivers to be located and installed. However, these were drivers from 2006 that RAXCO PerfectUpdater recognised as out of date and downloaded 2013 drivers. My Windows 7 C drive is a very quick SSD and the transceiver isn't recognised at bootup if it's plugged into a hub with an integral chipset such as the Anker that has the VIA VL812 chipset. It isn't a problem if the transceiver is plugged directly into a USB port on the computer, or in a USB hub that doesn't have a chipset such as my ancient Belkin USB 2 hub. The keyboard works well with my Galaxy Tablet - using a USB adapter for the transceiver - and also with a Panasonic SMART TV. A minor niggle : it doesn't have indication for caps lock and num lock.

To summarise:
* it's quite expensive;
* there may be recognition problems if the computer boots quickly and the transceiver is plugged into a USB hub with an integral chipset instead of paralleled hard wired connections;
* it works with a Samsung tablet with a USB adapter and, as a SMART TV keyboard;
* Windows prefers to load old drivers;
* this keyboard has replaced my existing unit and I will buy another transceiver so that I can use the keyboard with a Tablet and the television without disturbing the transceiver in the USB hub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Keyboard., 13 Aug. 2013
A. Kwabula (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This keyboard is rather unusually shaped but I find the shape makes it more functional plus the buttons are soft and responsive. Here is why:

For instance I position each hand towards the two end of the keyboard. Now these move about as I type. On a normal keyboard the middle keys are a bit far from the hards as they these keyboards are straight. On this one, the the middle part of the keyboard is raised and is most raised away from me. This brings the keys nearer as I find them up so do not have to lower my fingers.

The second very nice thing is the wrist rest which is removable so can be position slightly away from the keyboard as you would do a third-party wrist rest. It is soft but stronger than the many gel wrist rests on the market but is in no way the best.

The third thing for me is the addition of the optional backspace. I use the backspace alot when I edit my scripts especially in the PHP scripting language, so having it in that position speeds my work.

I am a bit disappointed with the rather too long receiver for the keyboard. I have a wireless Lenovo Keyboard/ Mouse combo and its receiver can hardly be seen when plugged in a USB port. Was is so difficult to make a very small one, surely most manufacturers are doing that so why not the PC Giant, Microsoft!

Other than the receivder, this is a great keyboard and highly recommended.

Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Keyboard - UK Layout