I've been reading Science Fiction for 40 plus years now and in my opinion these are the finest series of books that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Briefly the series revolves around a professor who shoots his body into space only millennia later to have his brain revived in metal body complete with tentacles and 4 legs! His new friends the Zoromes who spend their unending lives travelling for 100s of years through the Universe visiting Planets and systems.

Sounds weird? Yes but take the time to discover this series for yourself and be seduced by the simple art of good story telling coupled with a brilliant concept with a strong story. This better than Star Trek/Lost in Space/Battle star galactica combined!
Written back when Science fiction was great the planets visited, aliens encountered and problems solved are truly delightful. I read and reread the series countless times and they have that rare quality. They entertain you yet do not demand your brain to stretch to complex enigma or political situations. We see from the eyes (all 8 or them) from the Professor. The fact that he is a scientist/philosopher/humanist gives that wonderful insight into the worlds he visits. The nearest analogy I can think of is Herge's Tintin. Tintin interacts but he is the everyman than we can be. We become the professor and that's were the series really kicks in.
To this book 2 in the series. Firstly don t worry if you read them out of sequence. The professor's tale and origin is retold as a foreward in each of the subsequent 4 books (Which for me as a regular reader annoys the hell out of me I want more adventure writing!)(*and yes I realise the irony with this cut and paste review!!)
This edition contains 3 stories as most of the books do. The first is excellent and is set n a sphere of water, entitled into the Hydrosphere. A planet yes but entirely of water except for the vast depths where there is a core or rock, possibly created over milenia by meterite strikes etc. The planet is populated and Jameson's skill as a philosopher really comes ito play. The inhabitants, semi aquatic are being raided by another race. The Zoromes help them. The second is wonderful in that the Zoromes on their journey back pass close to Earth. On a previous visit to another planet they have located a professor who has invented a time machine to view the past. A chance to good to miss for the professor they journey to the now dead and non revolving Earth to view it's past (but of course the professors future) The final story has the Zoromes visiting a sunless world and as usual they fall into trouble from an unexpected source.

You finish the book, as with all its partner series, with regret rather than relief.
Escapism at its finest.