5.0 out of 5 stars Grim and not so Grim Reapers

2.0 out of 5 stars Two dimensional
Published 2 months ago by lyra

5.0 out of 5 stars Grim and not so Grim Reapers, 30 Jan 2014
DjD (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc. Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Reapers inc, the business of reaping souls and delivering them to whatever heaven, hell or limbo their beliefs have in store for them. Angela Roquet has the truly creative mind of a natural born storyteller, the book is full of action and humour from the beginning. I'm afraid to say I downloaded it at night and couldn't put it down until I finished it in the wee hours. I have already bought the next two books and am keeping them ready for a special read-athon over the weekend. Nothing spooky about this story - treat yourself to this and you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally fab, quirky and novel in concept, 17 April 2014
Well this is something new. I've not come across this before. It is funny and funky. The characters are all totally American in concept. So it has a Hollywood feel to it. But despite that it is very readable and has lots of interesting ideas. I did get a little bored towards the end and I don't know if I could read another one but very, very well done for something new and original.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 14 Feb 2014
I enjoyed this book, storytelling is very good, demons, gods, and reapers - what more could you ask for. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that the ending was a bit weak - you have to get the next book to continue the story. Still enjoyed it though

5.0 out of 5 stars graveyard shift, 27 April 2014
A brilliant start to a series, I will admit I was confused at times trying to keep up with people's names and what they did and understanding the complicated 'world' she lives and works in. However I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to the rest of the series 😄

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 13 May 2014
Initially bought this book as it was free, so glad I did, well out of the ordinary, different and believable. I really got into the mind of the main character Lana and find it hard to put this book down. Read it, you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars And it is fun, and has something in it for a range ..., 28 Sep 2014
Graveyard Shift is where we meet Lana Harvey, a low level Reaper whose job is to collect the souls of the newly departed and take them to the Afterlife. An afterlife I had never considered.

Every religion has it's afterlife, after all, so how do they co-exist? The answer is here (I won't give it away, as it is rather important to the plot!).

In this book we get to meet Lana, her co-reapers and learn how the afterlife hangs together. We also find why this low level, frankly underachieving Reaper doing the bare minimum becomes the centre of attention of a lot of powerful beings.

If there is a problem with this first book, it is the weight of new characters turning up at a relentless pace. But once this settles down the story can get on. And it is fun, and has something in it for a range of readers.

I am now on to the third book in the series (which settle down and drive the storyline more), so let this book introduce you to Lana's (after)life, bring the principal characters into play and set the scene for what comes next.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two dimensional, 26 Sep 2014
Lana is a reaper which means she escorts souls from recently deceased bodies into the appropriate dimension. However there has been some trouble in the afterlife and her job seems increasingly fraught with danger. This is a lighthearted supernatural story wherein the characters (reapers, angels, nephilim, demons, gods and goddesses) exist in an alternative dimension which sound remarkably like an average US city. There is dry humour, action, adventure, romance of a kind of high school dating variety and some bloody fights with demons.
Despite this I was bored. The characterisation was flat, there was no mood building and consequently I didn't really buy into the narrative.
However the book was free and I suppose it was an interesting idea hence two stars. Frankly I think it would have worked better in a comic book format: it might have cut out unnecessary complications and the artwork may have lifted the language. I got to the end, just, and I have read a lot worse. However, life's too short to look for a sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun story, 29 July 2014
I don't usually read chic lit, but this book had an enjoyable story with fun characters, albeit totally unbelievable. If this was the first in a series I would probably buy the second book. There were one or two typos, e.g. 'Maalik's jaw went ridged' which made me smile, but nothing off-putting. A light, enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 11 May 2014
An amusing story, I found it hard to get into at first but once I did I didn't want to put down. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes something a bit different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Download this now!, 11 May 2014
This is definitely a five star book, in every sense. The mixture of heavenly, devilish and God characters is amazing. Don't know where the author came up with such a storyline, but I'm glad she did. Looking forward to the next in the series.