4.0 out of 5 stars Capable point and shoot with some advanced features as well
Published on 11 Nov 2012 by silverarrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever and feature-packed, but inconsistent picture quality
I have mixed feelings about this camera. It has some very clever features and does a lot of things right, but ultimately this seems to be at the detriment of overall picture quality, which is a shame. Here are the pros and cons for me...

Pros:
- Nice build, with a good screen and very responsive buttons/menu
- The video - it's full HD and is very easy...
Published on 12 Nov 2012 by PM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Capable point and shoot with some advanced features as well, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S9050 Compact Digital Camera - Silver (12.1MP, 15.5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I have been using this camera for a few weeks now; I also have a DSLR but needed something more compact to carry around. After opening the box I was impressed at the feel of this camera, it has a satisfying weight to it, not too heavy but not too light. The buttons are placed intuitively and the dial on top allows quick changes between the main modes. The flash neatly stows away in the top of the camera and pops up at the push of a button when needed. The zoom is quick and easy to operate, with the control switch integrated into the shutter button, and has a great reach with 15.5x.
Some of my favourite features of this camera are the burst mode (can be selected with the main dial) which is very useful when capturing a moving subject. One push of the shutter and the camera automatically fires a burst of 5 shots. There is a special effect mode that shoots selected colours in the frame and renders the rest of the image black and white. I like to use this effect, but with my SLR it requires some image editing in photoshop - with this camera it does it as you take the picture, very cool!
I do not take video that often, but this camera has a very capable video recorder, which can be accessed immediately from shooting stills as there is a physical shortcut button - so no messing about finding the mode in a menu. It records in full 1080p, so when coupled with a HDMI cable (unfortunately not in the box) you can watch your videos in full HD on the TV.
The bundled software has some neat features that allow for easy transfer of images from the camera and has some basic editing functions that you would expect. The most useful but simple tool I have been using is straighten, which allows me to fix horizons in landscape pictures so they are perfectly horizontal. There are also some `in-camera' editing options, which allows you to edit pictures without transferring to a PC first.
All in all, this camera is easy to use out of the box as a point and shoot, but also has some advanced settings to keep a keen photographer amused. It does not have a mode to take full manual control of shutter speed and aperture, but I can use my SLR for this so suits my needs fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever and feature-packed, but inconsistent picture quality, 12 Nov 2012

Pros:
- Nice build, with a good screen and very responsive buttons/menu
- The video - it's full HD and is very easy to action, with a stand-alone button on the camera. Great feature I haven't yet seen in a compact camera. The sound could be better but it does take decent videos overall.
- Takes good pictures outside, when it's bright. The colours are good.
- The burst mode is super fast and quite impressive
- The many creative and photo modes. There's a lot to explore, and some, like the Selective Colour, are really cool. It's quite fun to experiment.

Cons:
- Terrible indoors, even in brightly-lit places, and in the shade. Low-light is supposed to be a strong point for this camera too, so this is extra disappointing. The pictures have a lot of noise, the camera really struggles to focus, and the colours are consistently bad. It takes a lot of fiddling to find a mode that yields a half decent picture, and by this point it's usually too late to take it! I know this is only a compact camera, but my old Sony Cybershot was great at adapting to different light levels, and barely ever required flash - not this one.
- The flash - this is the only way to take pictures in low-light, but it's harsh and fades the colours badly. Also, it has to be manually operated (why?), and opens on top of the camera; maybe it's the way I hold the camera but it makes holding it awkward when in use.
- Focusing can get noisy, and the camera struggles here and there. I've also noticed that it's not so easy to take a clear shot, despite the MP count. It's something that's not always obvious on the small screen unfortunately, but really obvious when viewing the pictures on a computer.

I guess it depends what you're looking for - if you want a decent outdoors cameras with HD video and cool features, it's great (and that's how I'm going to use it). If you want something more versatile and reliable, especially indoors, you may need a more advanced model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Video, Good Pictures, 8 Oct 2013
Almost everything about this camera is brilliant, but you may find yourself second guessing how you would use it. Let me explain. My day's usage with the s9050 was great with no problems at all, apart from the fact i ended up using the video mode more than i did actually taking photo's. Weird considering this is a point and shoot advanced compact camera. I must say however, the 15.5x optical zoom really does a fantastic job and you won't be disappointed with the results. Going back to how i was using the camera throughout the day, the reason why i was using the video mode instead of taking photo's is because it is so amazingly good at it, with the added bonus of being able to taking slow motion video at 120fps and 240fps with a reduced resolution. On the picture taking side of things, there were some really nice, good quality pictures with great colour recreation. It can struggle to achieve a steady picture in low light without the use of a flash but it does do a fairly good job with the flash enabled.

For a full unboxing & overview of the Nikon s9050, Check out my video on my YouTube profile "HenPortMedia" or copy the link below:

Link: http://youtu.be/0Z_l5UdcNf4

I hope this has been informative.

Laurence

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality problems?, 28 Feb 2013
I bought this as I like Nikon cameras and it has all the usual nice Nikon features. However it just wasn't consistent with picture quality, it kept losing its focus. I thought it was perhaps just me so I read the manual etc. I then set up some test shots on static subjects and it became clear that it would lock focus but then lose it, presumably a problem with the auto focus. I returned it as faulty and fair do's to Amazon, despite it being outside their 30 day limit took it back without any problem and gave me a speedy refund. I have since bought the Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB-K Compact Digital Camera which locks focus brilliantly and so far is proving to be an excellent pocket camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by a computer tech!, 26 Feb 2013
As a computer tech I did much research before buying and am really impressed with this camera. Excellent battery, and zoom, high quality pics as good as a much more expensive SLR. Fits in my top zipped jacket pocket and goes everywhere. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great images and Video, 7 Nov 2012
We've been using this camera as a more convenient way of catching those special moments with the kids. We have an SLR but sometimes it's just not practical, so we were looking for a camera that could capture great images and high quality video, thankfully the S9050 fits the bill perfectly.

Our local fireworks night proved a good test, we got great images of the kids and their friends by using the night modes and the video recording of the fireworks themselves were fantastic and picked up the all important bangs oooohs and aaaahhhs! It also has great effects my favourite is the panoramic which is easy to use and helps capture those all important great views whilst your out walking. All in all a great camera that's lots of fun and most importantly easy to use!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing Product From Nikkon, 22 Jun 2014
I own a digital SLR but wanted a compact digital 'keep in the pocket camera' for my daughter's wedding in Las Vegas so I bought this camera. In outside good light conditions the photos were quite acceptable (not great) just quite acceptable . BUT in low/bad light, indoors or using the flash, the pictures can be very poor indeed. I 'test drove' this camera over a one week period both before and after the wedding and of the 600 photos I took, less than a third were good enough to bother with. The outdoor low light and indoor low light pics (even using the flash) were quite poor (or even very bad). My wife who has no great interest in photography commented " the photos are good but a bit blurry and dark aren't they?" The camera also has HD video which I haven't tried out yet so I can't comment on that aspect. I thought the name Nikkon guarantee me a great ,if not, very good great camera, unfortunately I was wrong. However as an outside sunny day beach snapshot camera it does the job I suppose. Most certainly not however the camera to entrust your most precious memories to though (just reaches two stars).

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this camera or you will regret it!, 18 Oct 2014
I was very disappointed with this camera. I bought it because the guy in the shop told me that for the price they were asking was the best option around with a quality only comparable with much more expensive cameras. The truth? This is the worst camera I have ever owned and the quality is really not good as a lot of the photos are out of focus. I used to have a little Sony which was around the same price but had an extra feature I like which is the panoramic photos, this camera has not. This is a camera with a lot of features you will probably never use but the most important thing in a photo which is a well-focused, well lit photo, that it doesn't deliver. Too bad I didn't try it out right away and when I had taken enough photos to really prove to myself that the quality was bad it was too late to give it back. It has been for repair for a month but it came taking exactly the same out of focus photos. Nikon said that it is normal so you are warned: if focused photos is your thing? Look for another camera! By the way, to start with I sent the photos to Nikon who told me that there was indeed a problem till... there was no problem at all! I used to be a photographer, I should know what a good photo looks like? The software that comes with the camera is useless. And don't try to make dramatic photos like a sunset as the camera will light the photo and the ambiance will be gone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, feature rich travel zoom camera., 20 Nov 2012
This camera was bought as an accompaniment to a DSLR, as such I was looking for quality compact in an ergonomic package that could be used in any environment and in particular those where I wouldn't risk taking, or didn't have the space for a DSLR.

12.1MP 1/2.3″ CMOS image sensor (back illuminated)
15.5x optical zoom
3.0-inch 460k-dot TFT-LCD display
Hybrid VR image stabilization system (supported by sensor shift anti shake, electronic vibration reduction plus motion detection technology to avoid blur from hand wobble at longer focal lengths) worth mentioning this is available while shooting video.

HDMI port and 1080p Full HD video recording capabilities. (HDMI for displaying direct to TV not included, but only a few pennies if you don't already have one that can be pilfered from another device)
SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot (worth mentioning you will want a SDHC card to make the most of the 1080p video recording) it does have a useful 74mb internally memory if you ever find yourself with a full memory card.

The specifications for the s9050 are broadly similar to the s9100 model if you want to search for additional information and reviews. (main difference being the 15.5x rather than 18x zoom)

Ergonomics:
Reassuringly weighty metal body, usual Nikon high build quality, well laid out button structure with one touch video record button, only the manually operated flash seems like an afterthought (an on-screen message prompts you to raise the flash if you haven't already done so if required though)

Picture Quality:
In my examples the pictures where sharp across the image without the soft edges/vignetting you sometimes find on lower priced compacts, colour reproduction was natural, good low light performance (6 ISO settings available with a max of 3200) understandably it starts to show signs of graining from ISO 1600.

Camera Features
19 scene modes available through the menu system (Night, Landscape, Portrait, Pet, Close Up, Sports etc etc etc)
Creative suite of digital effects built in which allows you to mimic a lot of effects achieved using Photoshop is a welcome addition (in particular the single colour select) these can be applied pre or post capture.
Battery is good for approx 270 shots per charge dependent on conditions.
It lack's some of the manual controls of its more expensive rivals such as program, aperture priority, shutter priority or manual modes.

Overall
An excellent value travel zoom camera with a versatile focal range and plenty of creative options for novices and experts alike, very little to touch the spec and quality for circa £100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little camera, 21 Nov 2012
I bought this camera to go alongside my DSLR: Amazing value, great for travel, excellent zoom, lots of creative options: this one is a real all-rounder. Very happy indeed. Well worth it. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›