5.0 out of 5 stars Hu Hai Ho to Norway we shall go
One of the finest Garbarek recordings that I have heard. Very distinctive stuff from the Norwegian sax man. He ploughs his own furrow much as does other sax giant John Surman. I guess a lot of it is difficult to describe as jazz music. What it is, is very, very good music. Garbarek has wonderful tone and control. His sound is unique.
Two tracks feature vocals from...
Published on 14 Nov 2002 by Mr P

3.0 out of 5 stars Some stunning tracks mixed in with some mediocre stuff
Published 19 months ago by Adam. Southsea Hants

5.0 out of 5 stars Hu Hai Ho to Norway we shall go, 14 Nov 2002
Mr P "radletteer" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Twelve Moons (Audio CD)
Two tracks feature vocals from Agnes Buen Garnas and then Mari Boine both singing presumably in Norwegian. Very moving stuff.
Garbarek never shys away from a high register denouement to a song and that may be my only complaint.
Excellent complimentary work from Rainer Brununghaus on piano, Eberhard Webber bass, Manu Katche drums and Marilyn Mazur percussion.
Track 7, The traditional Gautes-Margjit is more jazzy. To me this interpretation seems to draw inspiration probably subliminally from John Coltrane. It is a piece of music that builds up tension and feeling with fine percussion from Katche and Mazur and some thoughtful piano. Garbareks solo is impassioned before the quieter percussion led end. My favourite track.
Huhai too is a gem including the traditional Sami joik "Oskar-An'te" highlighting a really catchy little melody.
The closing Witchi-Tai-To is a Jim Pepper composition and this reading is beautiful fitting in so well with what has gone before. A very astute choice to close this fine offering.
I guess the enjoyment would be heightened if you were surrounded by the striking Norwegian countryside that so inspires Garbarek but just close your eyes and drift away....

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent music of course, 10 Jan 2011
Rabber Exile (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelve Moons (Audio CD)
as usual Garbaek produces music that makes your spirit soar amazing to listen to in the car or relaxing in the home, even better blaring out when you are sitting outside with a fire or by moonlight, it is atmospheric and leaves you begging for more

5.0 out of 5 stars Twelve Moons is a new world, 25 Sep 2009
Mr. J. W. Thompson "Traveller" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelve Moons (Audio CD)
I am new to the idea of Folk Jazz inspired to look up Garbarek on the web following the use of his music in an advert for bottled water (and if anyone knows the name of that track I'd be grateful for the info.) Twelve Moons has taken me to areas of my mind that I never knew existed. I would have said that I had a phobia about jazz, but now I find a whole new vista open before me with my senses so overloaded that I know I'll be trying to work the cd out for years.
It never sounds the same. It always transports me light years away in my thought universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jan garbarek, 19 Feb 2013
Mr. David El Baz (Oxford. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelve Moons (Audio CD)
lovely CD with fantastic pieces of music ; helps relaxing ... the service was very efficient and professional. Would recommend them .

3.0 out of 5 stars Some stunning tracks mixed in with some mediocre stuff, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Twelve Moons (Audio CD)
Jan Garbarek was recommended to me so I took a punt on this cd. Some of it is a bit like the stuff used to back those questionable relaxation cds with smooth talking Californians trying to lull you into the 'experience'. Having said that some of the tracks are quite brilliant. I think I would take another punt on a different cd of his and will persist listening to it because he is obviously a brilliant musician. May be a change in producer?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic modern classic, 25 May 2004
Jennifer E. Patrick "jeni wren" (Felixstowe, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelve Moons (Audio CD)
This CD is stunning, track three blows me away. I can't express how amazing it makes me feel, buy it and listen to all of the songs. Put track three on repeat!

Twelve Moons