Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£0.99

It would be difficult for me to find something that I DON'T love about the latest Bond movie, "Skyfall." But one of the things I loved best about it was Adele's theme song, also called "Skyfall." I'm not surprised that this song ended up winning an Academy Award for "Best Original Song" -- it's a majestic, soaring song that is tied tightly into the plot of the movie, but can also be appreciated on its own, as a love song.

It begins with a blare of brass and a gentle ripple of piano. "This is the end/Hold your breath and count to ten/Feel the earth move and then/Hear my heart burst again," Adele croons softly, sounding resigned whatever is happening. But strings begin to creep into the song, and by the chorus we're in full orchestral mode laced with that hard-edged Bond sound.

Actually, it sounds less like a Bond song, and more like a sort of apocalyptic hymn as she sings, "Let the sky fall, when it crumbles/We will stand tall/And face it all together!" The song uncoils after that like a sonic rose, unfolding new layers of dark horns, violins and a soaring winged finale that leaves your heart pounding.

"Skyfall" is a song that is both simple and complex -- it's got a seventy-seven person orchestra playing under J. A. C. Redford, and it has countless layers and harmonies sweeping together. The James Bond theme is woven in as well, but it feels natural and not like it was prodded in to make it more recognizably a Bond song -- it has its own sound and rhythm.

Instead of a pop song, it's a deep, rich ballad that starts off on a funereal, almost defeated note, only to blossom into fiery, powerful determination by the end. And the lyrics are tightly tied to the actual plot of the movie "Skyfall" -- just look at lines like "Skyfall is where we start," "I've drowned and dreamt this moment" and "we will stand tall/and face it all together/at Skyfall."

But the lyrics and imagery are also vague enough that it can be appreciated as a powerful love ballad in its own right, about triumphing over the odds with the help of one who loves you ("I know I'd never be me without the security/Are your loving arms keeping me from harm/Put your hand in my hand and we'll stand"). And Adele is... well, Adele. Her voice is rich, soulful and full of soaring emotion, and she sounds like she put all her heart and soul into this song.

"Skyfall" is a fitting song for the brilliant new Bond movie, in just about every way -- it's a bittersweet, rich, haunting experience that demands to be heard again and again. And it just made a new fan of Adele.
on 17 November 2012
On first hearing this new bond theme song, I wasn't really that impressed by the offering from Adele, however with repeat listenings the song seemed to really grow on me, it seemed more like a traditional bond theme and a great immprovement on the recent offerings like "Die another day" or "Another way to die". Where this song comes into its own is when your watching it with the film, the opening title sequence that goes with this song is breath taking and makes more sense especially when you've watched the whole film and the meaning of Skyfall becomes crystal clear, you then realise how brilliant this song really is and how well Adele sings it perfectly while not over doing the vocals and going crazy, she manages to keep it just right. This is a bond theme tune to take notice of and is a perfect addition for the franchises 50th year.
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2013
Not unnaturally, I bought this after seeing the film. There have been quite a few rather poor 'Bond' theme songs and some exceptionally good ones and this ranks amongst those at the top end of the scale.

I like much of Adele's work, just as I enjoyed Shirley Bassey with her Bond songs and, in a way, these are comparable.

As for the song itself, it fits the bill, it brings to excitement of Bond back to life for a few moments and it certainly rekindles the images of Skyfall, the film.

Now I just have to hunt down that gorgeous bulldog left to Bond by 'M' and I have the complete set.
on 29 January 2013
Loved this from the first time I heard it - and not disappointed with it still. I do play it when I am trying to get stuff done, it just sort of pushes you along...
on 20 January 2013
Well, what can I say...everything about this track is superb from start to finish, it grabs you attention from the start and holds it all the way through you even want to sing along with it. She lives up to all expectations, what more can you want!
on 21 March 2013
I am not a James Bond fan but after seeing the film Skyfall I changed my opinion. I thoroughly enjoyed this and the music really added to the enjoyment.I play the cd in my car so that I can have the volume turned up
on 14 February 2013
I am very happy with my purchase of the single Skyfall which has an uinstrumantal version aswell.
So there is an opportunity for all the wannabe Adele's out there to sing along!
Arrived promptly and I play it endlessly in my car.
Would highly reccommend
on 17 April 2013
What's not to like - two great British (or should that be Great British?) icons - James Bond and Adele, and a brilliant theme that ties into the whole story of (arguably) the best Bond movie of modern times. Yup, you guessed it; I loved it.

I have heard it said that it's too 'Bondy'; well, if I were Miss Atkins or anybody associated with this, I'd be mighty pleased to have that as a criticism. It's a bit like saying the snow is a bit too snowy, or the grass too grassy. Mind you that other GB icon (British Rail) did once try something about leaves on the line being to leafy (or something like that), so maybe......... No seriously, this IS a Bond theme, perhaps even the best ever Bond theme - and I'm far too old to be an Adele fan. Bond however, now that's much more my generation..........

Enjoy - and 007; try not to break it.
on 12 February 2013
From the first time I've heard this great song with the Adele's sublime voice watching Skyfall at the movies till now my opinion is still the same. The greatest 007 overture's song so far. Congratulations Adelle, you got a blessed voice.
on 8 April 2013
very nice single with radio edit and instrumental version for karaoke-lovers! lol :-)))) Not expensive and low costs for sending by post to your home