5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising good quality product considering the low price
I received delivery of the tape player well within the delivery estimate provided when ordering. Within a sturdy box you get the cassette player - a solid piece of kit with easy to understand controls and sockets - usb lead, earphone, installation CD and instructions.
Published 20 months ago by R. P. Neal

I was after a device that would transfer only a few vinyls recorded onto cassette. I encountered several problems. I will list these in case you have the same trouble with yours.
1. enter control panel to disable webcam mic. or else you get very bad feedback/clicking. Change the sleep time to out last the run of the cassette.
2. no matter were I position the...
Published 6 months ago by Mr Paul Savory

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising good quality product considering the low price, 28 April 2013
R. P. Neal "Richard Neal" (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: USB Audio Cassette Tape Converter to MP3 CD Player PC (Electronics)
It will take two standard AA batteries, but I have used the USB connection for all of my transfers, so therefore have no idea how long it will last on a set of batteries. Also I didn't use the earphone provided, preferring instead to use two pairs of headphones - one plugged into the cassette player and the other in the computer. And lastly, having already got the latest Audacity 2.0.3, I didn't load their version as it could have only been the same or older.
So the things that I do know about: I tried to connect to my Windows 8 desktop and laptop, since it works with Windows 7 I felt that it would surely have no problem with 8, but it refused to turn up fault free in the Device Manager. My only Windows 7 machine is a netbook with a single core 1.6MHz processor, and I wasn't convinced that it would cope with the amount of work needed, so my experience is therefore with a laptop running Windows Vista, wherein it loaded with no problem at all.
Plug in the USB cable into the tape output and the computer USB input. I had, as previously mentioned, two pairs of headphones, so that I could monitor both the sound input and output, and so with a pile of cassettes, recording can begin.
With Audacity running, you have to select the correct devices for the tape input and audio output - these things are explained in the leaflet, with even more advice to be found on the sellers website if needed - set the record and play monitor levels, press record and sit back. A word of warning though, do check that the player is away from all of the cables and computers, as originally I had picked up a fair amount of 'hum' because I had the cassette player sitting on top of the laptop. Not a good idea at all. And while on the subject of things to look out for, I had played eight cassettes, by which time it was no longer working very well at all. I think that probably because of the age of the cassettes, there was a large amount of oxide shedding, and the heads were becoming coated at great speed. I eventually wiped the head after each tape to keep the quality at its best.
In operation the cassette player was very easy to use, the start, rewind, fast forward and stop buttons were all that were needed. Once it had been set to play once, the fact that it will automatically play both sides of the tape before shutting down was very helpful for me, as I was able to leave it doing its own thing for one, one and a half or two hours, depending on what length tape I was transferring.
I have now completed the transfer of some 100 tapes with no problem - other than problems with the tapes themselves - and have thrown away all of the tapes and cases - in the recycling so I hope that they can deal with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Natty little gadget, if a little bit cheaply made., 11 Feb 2013
B. Lawes (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having a massive tidy up due to moving, I unearthed two large boxes packed with cassettes. Whilst many were just copies from CD for listening to in the car, there were some gems, and some albums no longer available on any format. The most treasured items though were the mix tapes made by friends, in some cases over twenty five years old. This cheap and simple little bit of kit was exactly what I required to relive those analogue days. The main tape player is effectively a cheapish Walkman clone, with a USB port on it. The door is a little bit shoddy, but it has all the required buttons and auto-reverse. It can be powered by battery or USB, and comes with some pretty cheap in-ear headphones, so you can use it as a portable player. The bundled software, Audacity and CassetteMate are free to download. I have Windows 8 installed and couldn't get CassetteMate to see the player, and ended up having to download a newer version of Audacity and the required MP3 exporting plug in. A little bit of work is going to be required to get the best out of this, as the manual is of very limited practical help.

Does what was asked of it, with some nice results, so pleased for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super USB cassette capture, 23 Jun 2013
Excellent package including Audacity software for handling recordings. Like many people, I suspect, this was purchased to convert old tapes to CD and a word of warning here - be careful of quality of old tapes. Once I was familiar with the package I started transferring a batch of tapes leaving them to run unattended and just cleaning out the player after each use. All went fine until I loaded one tape which had been given to me many years ago and on later inspection was not of the same quality as tapes I purchased. A lot of the oxide coating came off and caked itself around the tape head and pinch rollers. I have been able to clean this off to some extent but it has marked the tape head and introduced some noise which wasn't present on earlier recordings. THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF THE USB DEVICE, but a warning to use earphones to check the quality of recording at the beginning and stop the process straightaway before damage is done to the device if quality is poor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that easy to use the Audacity software. This player has it's own background noise. But it is adequate., 29 May 2014
Mr Paul Savory (Wrexham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
2. no matter were I position the player I get varying degrees of feedback/clicking/rumble. This is audible during playback of a finished cd (but only just, and the run in groove noise of the vinyl seems to hide this).
3. the e-manual on the cd is not the best at explaining how to use Audacity (the editing software). But I am a bloke and may not have read it thoroughly enough before I started.
4. found it best to save the whole recording to the computer, then create individual tracks. I also find I have to name sections I want to edit out, such as empty tape. I can only delete white noise from the end of the LP to the end of tape.
5. I needed to reset each recording edit to 96000. Record, create tracks and burn to CD in WAV. As yet I cannot work out how to get that same info in mp3 to be saved on the computer. (Then again, for me it is a CD end product I am after).
6. Although the self power USB player saves on battery I have noticed the occasional slowing up of speed of the tape. It is not the turntable as I listen and watch the LP being recorded.

I do love the auto direction change will only change once per tape. So I can wander of for a couple of hours.

I paid £12 approx for this item. For that money the unit is adequate. I really only wanted to record a handful of vinyls so I did not want to spend much. The final CDs made will be sold with these vinyls as proof of quality (many years from now - I hope, after I am dead! (cheerie soul, ain't I)). Therefore, I can live with speed slurs, underlying rumbles and white noise.

Several years ago I used Roxio and learnt a lot from that recording/ editing software. That package from about 2007 was a godsend as I had hundreds of tapes. Maybe you may wish to research ROXIO for your own needs.

Thanks for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but functional (Mac user guide included), 26 July 2014
Sia Gi (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is definitely cheaply, and I honestly don't expect it to last very long (the play button seems like it will break first, then maybe the lid), but if you only have a few tapes to convert, this will do the job nicely. Wouldn't recommend it for a large library of tapes, as it almost certainly won't make it through that ordeal.

For those having problems using this thing, here's guide on how to use it on a Mac:
1) Download audacity from her: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ (if you wish to export to MP3, you will need LAME MP3 plugin which you can download from the Preferences > Libraries of audacity)
2) Insert your tape and plug in the device to your Mac
3) Open audactiy and go to Preferences > Devices, then set the Recording Device to the USB device it picks up (so, not the built-in options), then click OK
4) Make sure the volume on the converter is set to high, otherwise no sound goes through to your Mac (this caught me out! :))
5) Press the Record button in audacity, and press play on the converter. You should see waveforms appear in audacity as your tape plays. If you don't, the volume might me down, or you haven't selected the device in audacity Preferences.
6) When done (the converter will automatically play both sides, so you can leave it recording until it's done) press stop in audacity and on the converter. You can do File > Save to save the project with the original files, so that you can load it up again (I recommend this, but the average tape takes up around 600-700MB of space), so it's more likely you just wish to export it to MP3. To do so,
7) Hit File > Export. If you've installed LAME properly, you can select MP3 in the format drop-down at the bottom (click on options and set quality to 320 kbps). Type in a name for the file at the top, select a location to save, and click Save. It takes a few minuttes (depending on your Mac's spec obviously) and you're done!

Hope that helps someone! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - easy to get up and running, 9 Jun 2014
I don't consider myself particularly tech savvy, but like to think I do have common sense. I purchased this converter to preserve some old mix tapes that have sentimental value. I found this piece of kit really easy to use - I was up and running within 10 minutes of unpacking it. And as it imports into Audacity it's very straightforward to edit and use recordings. Great product.

1.0 out of 5 stars usless., 21 Aug 2013
The setup disc would not set my computer to send music from this to my drive.could not be bothered to send it back.

1.0 out of 5 stars ... word of warning if you want to use this like a Walkman to play back cassettes, 1 Oct 2014
A word of warning if you want to use this like a Walkman to play back cassettes: 1. The device will not play back through earphones without a transformer adapter (not supplied) 2. There is no battery compartment so you can't walk around with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Unit, 21 Aug 2013
The unit was faulty with a buzzing noise through both the headphones and the USB cable. It has now been returned. It sounds like an interference problem but I am not sure where it was coming from

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid cassette tape player at great price., 22 Jun 2014
My wife wanted to play some of her old cassette tapes. However, the price for such "old technology" is high and hard to come by. So, I bought this alternative where the tapes could be played as a "Walkman" with the bonus of the ability to convert the tapes to electronic copies.

The cassette tape player does a great job and we are both very pleased with both the quality and the price.