Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.66

on 1 December 2012
I have never written a review but felt compelled to do so after reading this. As an avid fan of Gerri Hill, I always look forward to reading one of her novels. The experience was a complete let down, completely unbelievable plot and so boring, I actually couldn't wait for it to end, whilst hoping that it would pick up.

I imagine that this is a one off and the next offering will be up to Gerri Hill's usual standards, excellent plot, engaging characters and not wanting to put it down!
on 12 March 2013
I must say i have read all but most of Gerri's books and this was an absolute refreshing change. I have to give 5 for the story albeit a bit wacky and out of the norm for Gerri but it had me laughing all the way, especially the scene in the woods with all the tough detectives and a raving monster!!!!!! I had a picture in my head of all the characters like some bizarre B movie, it was fab!!!!!

One thing i Do have to comment on though is the ever so predictable here we go again storyline for the 2 leading ladies! its always the SAME!!!!!!! you can see it coming before you even start!!! having said that i do love Gerri's books and have, to be fair, read them all and enjoyed them. Every so often you get the odd one that has flashes of brilliance. Another personal favourite is The Cottage, i even shed a tear!!!!!!

If your a fan you will love it, if, in the middle its another predictable book from Ms Hill which will while away a few nights bedtime reading. Worth a few quid!
on 31 October 2012
This book had a bit of the Stephen King in it - scary monsters kinda thing (which I like), this was coupled with Gerris usual sexy hot love story - perfect combo from my point of view :-)
on 1 January 2013
Not the usual type of book we get from Ms Hill and therefore it is important to remove any preconceived notions of what to expect. It starts as an routine missing persons case where two agents are sent undercover. For me, this is where the book became bogged down - a lot of pages about the relationship that was waiting to explode betwen the two and very little of interest about the case - this imbalance spoiled it a bit for me. There are only so many "long lingering look" moments between two other people before it becomes a touch embarrasing to the third party and at times I felt like a voyeur.

Then we have the actual case and for me it needed more intrigue about what was in the woods and it lacked the scare factor. I felt that this was a real shame as it could have earned 5 stars had I felt any tremor of "Don't go into those woods" - but I didn't, in fact, I wanted them to go so the story got some impetus.

It would be unfair to say that I didn't enjoy it, I did but just not as much as most of Ms Hill's other books. Having said that, I applaud her for trying something different and hope that she never stops writing.
on 11 January 2013
I have to say in spite of myself not wanting to like this book, I really enjoyed it.

The plot is somewhere in the realms of Stephen King sci fi meets The X Files, so dont expect your usual Gerri Hill crime/romance, this definately has a refreshing twist for Gerri's books.

The characters are likable although the situation can be slightly farcical at times, and I agree with one of the other reviews that perhaps the balance of the story was a little too much in the characters falling for each other, which is already essentially established right at the beginning of the book. However the banter and teasing between the main characters Paige and CJ is fun and enjoyable to follow.

The ending was a bit disappointing for me, but potentially leaves it open for a follow up. Although I was able to suspend disbelief for the main plot I found that Gerri got a little too trigger happy and found it a somewhat irritating and unnecessary.

I like that Gerri Hill has tried something a bit different from her usual carbon copy romance and hope she continues to expand her storylines.
on 13 December 2013
I loved this new story line. Lesbian Romance Crime Horror.. new genre on me. I was quite shocked by the negative reviews. yes its a new direction, but cant authors try something different?

I couldn't take the horror too seriously, found it more tongue in cheek than Stephen King frightening - think X files, but with a smoldering Scully that the seemingly uptight Paige finds hard to resist.

Love CJ and Paige, fun new characters, typical exaggerated but recognisable lesbian romance.. fancying the pants of each other (literally) but refusing to deal with it, and then just not being able to resist the pull.

Look forward to more of them, their team and their wacky cases and watching what Gerri does next with their odd romance.
on 15 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book and applaud Gerri for taking a risk and writing something original. It has some very dark bits and a fair amount of tension, but the tension and sexual tension between the lead characters is beautifully written and the development is so well handled I couldn't put it down.
I note that most of the negative reviews are from readers who have read earlier books by Gerri and therefore presumably carried pre-conceptions into the book: I suggest you leave them behind and read it afresh - it's a good tale and the interactions between the leads are very well handled and carried forward into "Weeping Walls" which I found even better.
Thanks Ms Hill for a great read
on 6 March 2014
Gerri Hill books are a joy to read, the characters come alive on the page and make you fall in love with them all. Her writing leaves little to your own imagination, as her description of surroundings, emotions and interaction is as clear as if watching it on the big screen. The humour contained hints at a real pleasure derived in the creation of each book, and i can only hope she continues to publish her efforts that keep me so entertained.
Keepers of the cave is my favourite of her books, it has the added element of danger alongside the angst of falling in love with someone of the same sex. but all of them have a place in my library.
on 16 May 2013
I have read and enjoyed many books from this author but this does not seem like any other. It's disturbing and dark a big disappointment.
on 30 November 2012
I have yet to read a Gerri Hill book I dislike. In keeping with her usual writing genre, this is a romance, but with a twist. An enjoyable read, great interaction between the main characters, there could have perhaps been a little more depth and grit to the main story but this doesn't detract from a good light read....I get the feeling that we may see more of Paige and C.J....hopefully...