5.0 out of 5 stars A great interpretation, 19 Oct 2012
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This second volume completes Isabelle Faust's recording of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas. It has been eagerly awaited by many people and they won't be disappointed - Faust's remarkable skill and musicianship produce a terrific interpretation. She plays with minimal vibrato, exceptionally intelligent ornamentation and a directness which is very striking. The closing Presto of the First Sonata, for example, is quite brilliant here, taken at a thrilling speed with Faust's magnificent technique allowing her to remain utterly fluent and completely engaged, and other movements show similarly exceptional skill and imagination.

Whether this is the recording for you will depend upon your response to Faust's interpretation, which may not suit everyone. All three of the sonatas and partitas on this disc are minor-key works and they are very meditative and atmospheric. As an example, in the hands of Rachel Podger the opening movement of the disc, the Adagio of Sonata No.1, is mournful but humane and Viktoria Mullova's reading is more sinewy but shot through with human melancholy. For Isabelle Faust it seems rather bleak and desolate - marvellously played and interpreted but, for me anyway, not an easy listen.

The recording is slightly dry which adds to the slight sense of mortality and darkness which seems to me to pervade much of this disc. Personally, I think that's great and the effect is powerful and moving. I am very glad to have Isabelle Faust's Bach alongside my other loved interpretations and I think this will be a recording which I will still be playing in many years' time. Very warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Bach, 17 Mar 2013
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for solo violin, vol.2 (MP3 Download)
I am something of a Faust fan, it seems. So often her music making seems to talk to me and to draw me in from the word go. It is a thrilling feeling. Few performers do that for me: Richter does almost unfailingly, Celibidache can, Harnoncourt often has. It is fast seeming that Faust is another who often can get right through to me from my first hearing of her performance. Anyway, this is wonderful Bach. Attractive and musical - no sense of the browbeating and technically dominant bludgeoning that some violinists turn this music into - and uplifting. You get a sense that she is at home with this music and loves it rather than that she is afraid and in awe of it. I don't think I have enjoyed unaccompanied Bach as much as this since Grumiaux. But this is not like Grumiaux. It is less soleful and magnificent. But it is honest and filled with nature. I am filled afresh with love for and amazement at these wonderful works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding playing, 20 May 2014
I have versions of this music by several of the "greats" and, on the strength of this recording, Ms Faust can take her place amongst them with no trouble. A discovery, so far as I was concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars The standard is maintained, 8 Sep 2013
Richard Liley (Eastbourne UK) - See all my reviews
I repeat my review for the first volume. Wonderful , spiritual and contemplative - I do a lot of painting to this music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Feb 2013
D. S. Smith "duncanssmith" (London England) - See all my reviews
Excellent interpretation and recording of the sonatas and partitas, Bach's pinnacle compositions for solo violin. Very moving. Faust finds new and resonant textures and timbres here, and executes perfectly. Well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly musical, 26 Dec 2012
Stunning playing and a baroque approach. Minimal vibrato, which I confess I find hard at times. 40 years ago it would have been played with far greater warmth. Having heard these works played like this I don't find it easy to take the 'modern' (ie original) way. But amazing playing throughout.