4.0 out of 5 stars A lucky find !!
Published 22 months ago by David H J Ashdown

3.0 out of 5 stars ok... but nothing to write home about
An easy watch, acting quite good... however rather predictable. Not as good as I had hoped. One to rent, not buy.
Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by W. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars A lucky find !!, 15 Aug. 2013
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lucky One [DVD] (DVD)
This was an impulse buy at Tesco and is a typical afternoon movie what you might call a light weight but with a subtle difference it has beautiful camera work and breath taking scenery. The story is typical of what you might expect in that the boy finds the girl she initially hates him then grows to love him but it's done in such a way as to take it above the normal offerings. It's worth the £5 it cost and is good enough to be watched a second time.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, 9 Oct. 2012
I absolutely LOVE this film! Zac Efron is so dishy too! Went to go and see it at the cinema with my friend and I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to follow. I got the book soon after the visit to the cinema and finished it within days! Absolutely love Nicholas Sparks' books and movie adaptions and this did not let me down!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Everyone has their own destiny. No everyone makes the choice to follow it.", 29 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First I have to confess that I have not read the book. This is not my preferred genre for reading.

The film however deserves a viewing as it does rings around what could have been a Hallmark movie. This was formula enough to pretty much guess the complete film from the early beginning. However I suspect the draw is the character interaction and not a mystery or action. All the actors were good in their parts and very believable. I thought Blythe Danner was exceptional.

Basic story is of a marine Vet, on his third tour of duty in Iraq; Sgt. Logan Thibault (Zac Efron) finds a picture during the war. He believes this is his good luck charm and is determined to fine the person behind the smile in the picture that he owes his life to. He finds more than he bargained for. Did he fine more than he could handle?

3.0 out of 5 stars ok... but nothing to write home about, 22 Sept. 2012
W. Martin "Mummy Martin" (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good storyline, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Lucky One [DVD] (DVD)
Good romantic film.thoroughly enjoyed it! Nicholas sparks stories usually good.This one did not disappoint- sometimes it's just nice to watch a film which you don't have to think about just enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Film, 30 Jun. 2012
Rebecca Thompson (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Zach Effron plays Logan a US Marine who while on a tour of duty in Iraq sees a picture on the ground. When he picks it up he notices that it's a photograph of a beautiful young woman. As he is looking at it a bomb goes off where he had just been standing and he realises that the photo saved his life. Logan decides to find the woman in the photo so that he can thank her for saving his life.
The story is sweet and predictible and there weren't really any surprises but I still enjoyed it.
I'm not usually a Zach Effron fan but loved him in this. This film probably wouldn't appeal to Zach's younger fans as it does feature quite a few love scenes and I must admit that these were somewhat spoilt for me by a group of young girls who kept laughing whenever these came on.
I really enjoyed this film and can't wait to see it on dvd.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Lucky One [DVD] (DVD)
What can I say this chick flick is just great. Cried my eyes out. So sweet. Can't believe i never seen this film before. It's a must buy

3.0 out of 5 stars bit of a let down, 5 Feb. 2015
The 3 stars are only for the cinematography as it was beautifully shot. This movie is the perfect example of constant "could have been, if only"
The plot is a very interesting story, but when turned into movie, it fails. The screen chemistry is none existent, and the failings in the script fails the movie constantly. This could have been a great movie, but it fails at every hurdle. Although I couldn't say I am sorry to have watched it, but still I wished it was a better movie for the time I spent watching it. Zac Efron was actually good, managed a decent balanced acting, generally the actors did their best, but when the story is not quite right, no one can win.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Mushy., 6 Sept. 2012
Amazon Customer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm not usually a fan of romantic films, but a Nicholas Sparks movie (or book for that matter) will always be an exception to that. Luckily this movie was just as good as I'd hoped and I was glued to the screen from start to finish.

Having not read the book, which is sadly sat waiting for me on my to-be-read pile, I didn't know what the story was about other than what the trailers had shown BUT I did expect to experience a gorgeous romance followed by a heart-breaking twist at the end as Sparks' other movies seem to have. The Lucky One features Zac Efron as Logan - a marine just coming back home after losing a lot of friends and comrades in the battle. A troubled Logan was saved during battle by a picture glinting in the sun; it catches his eye and he goes to grab it and because of this movement he misses being killed. Logan vows to find the girl in the picture and thank her for saving his life.

Eventually he does find the girl, Beth, who works in a dog kennel. She mistakes him for a hopeful employee and gives him a job before he is able to tell her his story. From this moment on we see a will they? Won't they? romance ensue and I absolutely loved it. When I saw that Taylor Shilling would play Efron's love interest I was slightly dubious. I wasn't surely they looked like they'd have much chemistry but wow! Shilling is absolutely fantastic as Beth, as Efron is as Logan, and I was blown away by how beautifully they portrayed their chemistry - even when she seems to hate his guts!

I can't recommend this film enough. It surprised me with it's greatness.

As a side note: I purchased this as Blu-ray and thought that the sound and picture quality was just fantastic. There are only three major bonus features which show how Zac Efron was made into a Marine, his chemistry with Shilling and some behind the scenes features; these were quite nice to watch (but only after watching the movie!) I'm glad I went for the Blu-ray - particularly because I'll be watching it so much!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very formulaic film, 8 May 2014
I bought this for my wife's Christmas present based on it being recommended as one of the best romances of 2012.

I felt like it was a film I'd seen many times before with the cliché characters: single mum scared of committing with cute son, slightly mysterious man, grandmother who sees everything how it is, dim-witted ex-husband who didn't understand his wife and doesn't understand his son (and sets out to destroy the new relationship). The plot is equally predictable. I kept waiting for the twist but it never happened.

Lots of issues are not properly explained or explored. The war side of it is over in 5 minutes. there's also a fair deal of dogs in the film. So if dogs aren't your thing then it's another thing against the film.

My advice is watch "Dear John" instead. It's an excellent film starting with a war background that twists and turns, and is anything but predictable. The romance is far more convincing.

The Lucky One [DVD]
The Lucky One [DVD] by Zac Efron (DVD - 2012)