5.0 out of 5 stars great book
i only got this book because it was free. as soon as i started reading it i loved it. set in the late 1800s, its a story of a strong woman who takes a job on a ranch away from home, to look after a bitter man and his young daughter. life has dealt her terrible blows and she needs to find herself.
i dont think the talk of her god takes anything away from her story. it...
Published on 14 Feb. 2011 by kathleen

2.0 out of 5 stars It was not great
The book had a good storyline with lots of interesting characters, but the amount of bible talk spoiled it for me. Just not my scene, might suit others. I just skipped the pages that went on and on about God.
Published 23 months ago by lidia-t-pot

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 14 Feb. 2011
i dont think the talk of her god takes anything away from her story. it is all in context and not overdone.
i couldnt wait to get work done so i could start reading this book. its not my usual type of book, which is family drama. i liked it so much i will now have to buy the next three, but it is a stand alone book as it completes abbys story. i would recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a romance nobel, 19 May 2011
Like one of the other reviewer's, I got this book as it was free for the kindle. I knew when I ordered it that it isn't what I would normally choose to read, however I was very pleasantly surprised. This book is far from being just a romance novel, it takes you on a journey that makes you question your own beliefs and faith. As a very non-religious person, this novel made me look at grief and loss in a very different light. I'm not converted by any means, but there is a strong message of forgiveness throughout the book that we could all take something from. It was a thoroughly engaging and enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 20 Jun. 2011
Couldn't put it down, every moment I had I was sneaking a read of it. It was great. So didn't want it to end. Must try the rest in the series now. Fabulous good old fashioned read. Enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars It was not great, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek Book #1) (Kindle Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 15 April 2013
Bought this book because it was free on Amazon. Very predictable storyline and far too many quotes from the bible. It was a bit like reading a religious pamphlet.

1.0 out of 5 stars daughter of joy, 7 April 2013
what a load of american rubbish. Terrible. Hate all the American speak, wrote down not to get another book by this authoress.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow story, poorly written, 8 Oct. 2011
I don't really know why I read this book! Well it was free on Kindle, and once I had started I always hoped it would develop into something more meaningful. It was written by a self confessed practising Christian author, which in theory I am not against; being a Christian myself! I did however work out the plot, so to speak, at the outset but without the minutia and the naive twists and turns. The narrative was almost infantile and the characters rather stereo typical. I have just noted that someone said it was not unlike a Mills and Boon book, but as I have never read any, I can't really comment! But I suspect she (I can't for a moment imagine a man reading this) is right!

2.0 out of 5 stars just too predictable, 3 Dec. 2012
Far too religious based and you knew the ending after the first few pages. the main female character, Abby, the bible bashing, holier than thow martyr was so annoying. Her constant self sacrifice in the name of God and her threats to leave such a den of eniquity was enough to drive you mad. This books aim seems to be to preach the word of God at every given oppurtunity and to try and build a truly predictable story around God, love, God, forgiveness God and sacrifice. Glad it was free as i would have hated to have paid for it. did i mention its all about God?!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm not sure, 5 Sept. 2011
Although i enjoyed this book beware if you are not into the Bible as at least 60% of this book is the scriptures and Bible quotes a good story that could have been great if more meat was put on the bones of the story rather than constant irritating in my oppinion Bible bashing i skipped lots of pages to avoid this what a shame, Abby could have been awsome but she came over as a fanatic dont think i would have chose this book if i had known but having said that a nice book and i will read the others in the hopes more is given to the storys than the Bible

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple plot destroyed by OTT Bible thumping, 24 Sept. 2014
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
There appears to be a considerable number of American authors who write what they consider 'Christian' fiction, heavily pushing their particular interpretations of the Bible. This is another example, which, by its continual references to the Bible, personal exchanges between the protagonists and God, and angst and self-denial due to extremely rigid, dogmatic beliefs, does more to drive readers away from Christianity than it achieves by its preaching. Perhaps the authors believe their books will only be read by others with their extremely narrow faith; it might be better if they remembered that more flies are caught with honey than with vinegar, and tempered their writings with a little subtlety.

The basic plot of this story is enjoyable (if, as so many have said, rather Mills-&-Boon-ish), and the quality of the writing is superb when describing the countryside, the characters, and the way of life. Where it fails for me is in its overbearing insistence on morality over compassion, understanding, and love, which, I would have thought, are the message of the New Testament, and therefore Christianity.

While my heart goes out to the author, who tells us this book was conceived about a year after the death of her youngest son, I have to say that her explanation was the reason I felt obliged to struggle through the book, but that the finished story in no way lives up to the quality or content of that 'Word from the Author'.