4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read!
When Major Sinclair Yeates leaves the British army, and opts to become a Resident Magistrate in late-Nineteenth century Ireland, he has no idea what adventures await him. As he plods on, trying to do his job, he finds himself outthought and outmaneuvered at every step.
Published on 30 Nov 2004 by Kurt A. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish printing
This reproduction of The Irish RM is badly printed. The cover is attractive but the text quality is rubbish. Not the sort of book you would want to keep on the shelf.
Published 13 months ago by RJ

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read!, 30 Nov 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
These wonderful stories, first published in the 1920s, were the basis for the hit British Television show, The Irish R.M., staring Peter Bowles. For those of you familiar with that show, the stories contained here cover the first six episodes, plus some. I must say that they did a wonderful job of capturing the story!
For those who have not seen the show, have no fear. This book is charming and terribly witty, and makes a cracking good read. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Ireland, and to anyone who likes a good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest books I have ever read., 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Some Experiences of an Irish R.M. (Kindle Edition)
I have owned the hardback edition of this book for at least 30 years and it is a great favourite to cheer me up if feeling down. When I saw it available for Kindle I couldn't wait to download it. I defy anyone to read it and not feel cheered.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Irish Foxhunt, 22 July 2014
Paying Guest (Westport, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
Absolutely hilarious. Also, delicious in history of women's literary voice: when first published, reviewers assumed it was written by a man, such inside knowledge of the male protagonist flourished. I am not sure how long it took before the two women wuthors were identified, but they must have had a grand time with everyone's misapprehensions.
The first to be satirized, outsmarted by locals, is the British judge and protagonist, the RM for Royal Magistrate, who arrives in rain, compelled to buy a horse from his savvy landlord who's already overcharging. The house is vast, with unexplored inner reaches--unexplored until various fugitives lodge there.
Without fear of contradiction, the best fox hunt in all of literature, an Irish fox hunt with everyone participating, bicycles, carts, several horses of varied abilities and instincts regarding walls, ditches and fences.
I do not know the current state of Irish reaction to this book, whether it is seen as baldly critical: humor always has that possibility of serious misapprehension. (Many readers of Confederacy of Dunces resent the book, though it is a modern classic.) But take it from me, with an Irish surname at least, Hilarious.
I suppose ethnic humor is so widespread in the US--as it is in Shakespeare's Henry V, where it is used to abrade difference, to create Great Britain now coming apart into its contributive bloodlines and languages. Poles tell Polish jokes, Jews tell jokes about Jews, in the US--why, even the Irish make moderate fun of themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read but why charge, it is available free elsewhere, 9 May 2014
This is available for free from the Gutenberg Project as are the two compendium volumes, Further Reminiscences of an Irish RM and In Mr Knox's Country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Experiences of an Iriish R.M., 25 April 2013
This review is from: Some Experiences of an Irish R.M. (Kindle Edition)
One of the funniest books I have ever read. It is a pity you do not list The Complete Experiences of an Irish R.M.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL READ, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Some Experiences of an Irish R.M. (Kindle Edition)
I've read this book several times over the years. I remember reading it on a coach journey a couple of years ago laughing so much I had to stop reading.The characters are so well observed ...reminding me of my Irish Grandmother . I was delighted to find the book is now available for Kindle and am looking forward to reading it all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, great Irish brogue, 29 Dec 2012
I read this for my book club and, while some members found it hilarious throughout, I was not quite so overwhelmed. It was funny, but for me, not hilarious. I suppose in my time I have read many 'experiences of' books, from vets and doctors to steeplejacks and several others. So, an enjoyable read, but given the Irish setting, and the hilarious stories I've had the pleasure of hearing from Irish friends, not quite as funny as I was expecting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish printing, 25 Jun 2013

Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.
5.86