5.0 out of 5 stars The best SSD of its class
It's also the first solid state drive I've ever owned, but I've seen quite a few in action and this is by far the best.

You know that box that used to show up whenever you copied or deleted files? The one with the progress bar and the 'time remaining' ticker? Well I catch glimpses of its outline every now and again, as it pops up for a fraction of a second, but...
Published on 3 Feb. 2013 by tom10320

3.0 out of 5 stars Second time lucky! The first one didn't work...
So my review is slightly coloured by the fact that the first drive I received didn't really work. To be honest I'm not 100% sure it was the drive itself or whether it was the HDD enclosure and SATA to USB 3 adaptor I bought to house it. I was able to connect the SSD, name it, format it for my mac but then promptly couldn't save a single thing to it. I kept getting and...
Published 22 months ago by A. Raval

‹ Previous | 137 38 3957 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect partner for my Samsung Laptop, 12 April 2013
Mr nozzle (Cheshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Personal Computers)
I had purchased a Samsung NP550P7C, Windows 8 laptop, with 8 Gb of ram and a 1 Tb hard drive. The laptop came complete with a kit and instructions for installing a second drive. I ordered this Samsung SSD with a view to making the SSD the boot drive and the original drive my storage drive. The SSD arrived but did not include a cable to connect the drive to the USB port on my laptop. Fortunately I had a cable that came with a similar SSD kit for my MacBook from crucial.

I installed the supplied Samsung data migration software and connected the SSD to a USB port. After starting the software, the old drive was cloned to the new in about 20 minutes. I powered down and removed the battery and power supply. Following the instruction sheet supplied with the laptop, I disconnected the old drive and installed the new SSD in its place. I then replaced the battery, connected my power supply and booted the laptop. It booted up straight away and I was pleased to see that the SSD was now my C drive. I then connected the old drive to a USB port on the laptop using my USB/SATA cable and (after checking that all my files had truly been migrated across) proceeded to format it to remove the operating system and all other data. After this was complete, I powered down, removed the power supply and the battery and then installed the old drive into the spare slot in the laptop and connected up the internal SATA cable. I replaced the battery pack and connected my power supply. I then booted up the laptop. This time it booted up from the SSD into the windows start-up screen in about 5 seconds and I was into the Metro interface in about 25 seconds from pressing the power button, including entering my password.

Boot times are now very very fast and programs load from the drive really quickly. Things like word processors and spreadsheets open instantaneously. The laptop was quick before but now is really quick. The whole experience has been very straightforward. The software was great and the kit supplied by Samsung with the laptop was excellent. All in all, this is a conversion that is really worth doing, especially if you have a Samsung laptop. Not bad value either and a great delivery time from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 840 pro 128 GB, 12 April 2013
This is probably one of the best upgrades for the money on a computer.I recently built a new computer and added an SSD for the first time and the boot time is so quick now it was well worth it.The SSD is used mainly for the OS and I still use HDD'S for main programmes and storage.I would recommend the Samsung 840 Pro to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent drive, but careful on Windows 8, 12 April 2013
The SSD itself is a great, very fast drive. However beware if you are trying to migrate a Windows 8 hard drive to this SSD.

On my Dell Inspiron 17R SE laptop, Windows 8 came installed in UEFI mode with secure boot, and this made migration impossible without re-installing Windows from scratch. I tried using the Samsung supplied disk cloning and migration software (using a USB to SATA lead to copy the Hard Drive onto the SSD before replacing the HD in the laptop with the newly copied SSD) and the machine failed to boot from the cloned drive. I also tried using other commercial cloning and/or migration software and this failed too.

The solution in the end was to ring Dell Technical Support and explain the situation. They offered to send me the Dell Windows 8 re-installation DVD, which they did for free, by next day courier (do not call their Customer Care as they say they are not allowed to send the DVD). Note you have to re-install the Dell version of Windows 8, as again, the freely downloadable Windows 8 version from Microsoft does not install due to licencing protection.

I replaced the HD with the SSD, installed Windows 8 from the DVD, and hey presto, my laptop worked. This is now the best of all worlds. I have a laptop with none of the bloatware (think McAfee, Amazon, eBay, etc.) which comes factory installed from Dell, and my laptop is super fast. It boots from cold in about 5 seconds!

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first SSD drive, but not the last, 9 April 2013
This is a great product, I am using this as my boot disk on Win 7 and I get into the windows prompt within 15-20 seconds from hitting the power button on my desktop computer.

Samsung magician is a great piece of software to tweak the SSD.

I will no doubt buy more when the prices go down and capacity goes up, its so much easier to install and is less bulky than a normal HD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast drive, 5 April 2013
Alan Davies (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Not much to say, does what it says on the tin. Nice presentation, great benchmark, slient and quick. Read reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 5 April 2013
Works perfectly as second system drive in 2011 (+2012) Mac Mini. Also bought OWC second drive pack.
Installation took about 20 mins.
All good!
Mac Mini is now super zippy, although boot time not significantly improved...maybe it's something I've done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speeed and good software (actually just updated), 2 April 2013
Get it if you have SATA 3 and the need for speed. About a month in use not a single problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim and fast drive., 2 April 2013
Fitted nicely into my Samsung NP550 laptop as a second drive. Surprized Samsung did not supply the right screws to fix the drive in place. Used Samsung software to clone the hard drive to the SSD. Now the computer work faster but some of the windows 8 software doesn't work completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best SSD so far!, 2 April 2013
If you're looking for a fast SSD with a decent price. This is it! I installed it on my MacBook Pro Early 2011, and it worked from the start! It was so easy to install and easy to get it going. I was afraid it would be a difficult installation, but it wasn't!

My MacBook is definitely faster now than it used to be, and it takes my MacBook pro 8 sec to restart.

If you want to make you computer faster get this SSD! ​

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 2 April 2013
I did a lot of research before I bought an SSD and decided on this one as it had virtually universally positive reviews. I haven't been disappointed. It's sequential speeds are amazing and (more importantly) it's 4k speeds are some of the fastest too.

It's soooo much faster than a standard hard drive. Windows boot time has gone from 70 seconds to about 15 or less and that's moving windows over from the old disc to this one, not a fresh install.

It took a little setting up (moving the swapfile, TRIm etc) but it's well worth it. I get virtually dead on the advertised speeds in AS SSD.

I absolutely recommend this SSD.

‹ Previous | 137 38 3957 | Next ›