5.0 out of 5 stars The best SSD of its class
It's also the first solid state drive I've ever owned, but I've seen quite a few in action and this is by far the best.

Published 17 months ago by tom10320

3.0 out of 5 stars Second time lucky! The first one didn't work...
So my review is slightly coloured by the fact that the first drive I received didn't really work. To be honest I'm not 100% sure it was the drive itself or whether it was the HDD enclosure and SATA to USB 3 adaptor I bought to house it. I was able to connect the SSD, name it, format it for my mac but then promptly couldn't save a single thing to it. I kept getting and...
Published 13 months ago by A. Raval

5.0 out of 5 stars The best SSD of its class, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Personal Computers)

You know that box that used to show up whenever you copied or deleted files? The one with the progress bar and the 'time remaining' ticker? Well I catch glimpses of its outline every now and again, as it pops up for a fraction of a second, but I've almost forgotten what it looks like. I only see it when I'm copying files larger than 500MB or so from this drive to the HDD that serves as a storage drive, and even then that's only because it's being limited by the write speed of the HDD. All in all, you'll not have a speedier experience.

For games, I did a little test on loading times, and in every case they were cut buy at least a half. Assassins' Creed III was slashed from 24 seconds down to 4. That's a reduction of about 88%. Loading times aren't the most important use of an SSD but they're certainly a huge plus.

As for startup times, it's getting to the point where I have to sit down and get comfortable BEFORE I turn on the computer, because otherwise the thing's up and running before I've had a chance to adjust my chair. Most times Windows 7 doesn't even have a chance to finish its startup logo, and you barely see a flash of the welcome screen before you're at the desktop, ready to go. My friend has an Agility 3 SSD and it takes at least twice as long to get that far.

Now it's come down by about 50, with prices at about 170 (edit - one year later and it's now more like 130-140 - can't go wrong with that) across the board, this is looking more and more like THE ~256GB SSD. It's faster and bigger than most drives of a similar size, which are usually 240 or 250 GB, and writes much quicker than the 128GB model if you believe the supplied numbers. Add on a 5 year warranty and you've got probably the best SSD on the market. I'd say it's also pretty future proof - this is already knocking on the ceiling of SATA III speeds, so until a new standard comes out, this is as good as you'll get.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best! If you can afford it, get it!!, 27 Dec 2012
R. Stevens "TechAddict" (London, Wimbledon) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the time of writing the Samsung 840 Pro is the best SSD available on the market. It is the reference against which all other SSDs are measured. If you're still reading, then you either need more convincing or you want some more info.

I switched my laptop from a regular hard disk to an SSD as soon as the prices of 250/256GB models dropped to "reasonable" money. I have not regretted it. In fact, after migrating my system to the SSD, I kept my old hard disk as a system backup. I recently had to go back to this backup after my Windows was corrupted after a crash (thanks Symantec, you're standards continue to underwhelm me). Boy was it slooowwww! Booting off of an SSD is not "instant on" fast (I had been hopeful before getting one), but it is measured in seconds rather than the minutes of my old hard disk (a 7200rpm Seagate Momentus).

As for the Samsung 840 Pro, I find it hard to believe, but upgrading from a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD to the 840 Pro feels faster. In fact SSDs are getting close to the limits of the 6gbps bus, so waiting around for higher performance models right now is just not worth it.

On top of that the lifespan of the Pro model is quoted at 5 years, whereas the non-pro SSDs are rated at 3 years. This is a significant increase for a small price difference.

If you're not aware of this, the memory used in SSD drives can only support a certain number of write cycles (where new data is written to a bit of memory). The more you change the contents of the drive, the faster it wears out (this is why you should NEVER defragment an SSD - you are subjecting it to a lot of write accesses and you're not increasing performance. Disk based HDs lose performance as files fragment because they have moving parts, SSDs don't. If you defragment an SSD then you're just killing it faster).

I waited until I could afford an SSD of at least 250GB before saying goodbye to magnetic storage, since the trade-off of space for performance would have made things unmanageable and I would recommend that anyone else eying an SSD do the same. I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and just looking at the Windows folder it takes up 25GB of disk space. Add to that the space reserved for virtual memory, file management and programs and even a 120GB disk is starting to look full before you've even starting loading your own data. If you're lucky enough to have a second hard drive bay in your laptop, where you can install a large, regular hard drive, you could maybe consider a 120GB, but for anyone else I'd set 250GB as the lower limit.

Finally, I'd like to talk about the contents of the box. When I bought my Samsung 830 I got the version containing a kit of everything you needed to migrate from my old disk to the SSD. This version of the 840 Pro does not have this. All that is in the box is the drive, a CD with the Samsung SSD Magician software and a user guide. The 830 also had a USB cable to plug the SSD onto a USB port for copying to and a license of Norton Ghost, which (is supposed) to be able to clone your previous drive to the SSD. A clone is an exact copy of your existing disk, where the operating system, programs and your data are all intact. All you need to do once the drive is cloned is swap out the old HD for the SSD and then bask in the increased speed.

In other words, if you intend to clone your disk, then you will need an external enclosure or some other means with which to plug the SSD to your PC (you can find kits on Amazon). You will also need some HD cloning software and for God's sake, don't use Norton (this is what killed my copy of Windows). Since I have the license I have tried Norton on several occasions and it has NEVER worked (I can't imagine why Samsung recommend it). You would do better to get a trial or free piece of software from the Internet; I highly Macrium Reflect, which is free for non-professional users, but you might also consider Acronis Migrate Easy, just because it is widely used (though it can only be trialled for 30-days).

Anyway, to sum up in one phrase, this drive is awesome and you should absolutely get one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great performance improvement, 28 Nov 2012
The Samsung 840 Pro SSD arrived the day after I ordered it - excellent! Now that it is installed it provides a massive improvement to the overall performance of my laptop, a Dell XPS 15. I did the upgrade just after the hard drive failed and I spent the considerable time to reinstall and customise all the software. There are many technical reviews comparing the performance, the impressively fast Windows start, and the lower drain on the battery. But for me the most impressive overall gain is the speed that all applications launch and the system operates in general. The difference is like night and day!

There were some installation issues. (I'm competent but not a total hardware guru.) First, Samsung does not supply the cable I needed to clone my hard drive to the new SDD. I thought this was a little mean considering it's their flagship product. A trip to Maplins got me sorted but it cost me an extra 20 for the cable. The CD that comes with the product only has their "SSD Magician" software: you have to look hard to find the cloning software on the Samsung web site, or use something you already might have such as Acronis True Image. Samsung's Data Migration software (Ver 1.1 used, in my case) is the picture of simplicity to use. It did, however, take me a few attempts to successfully clone the drive: it seems the software cannot deal with interruptions, so you must shut down all applications (including those lurking in the system tray). I suggest you disconnect the computer from the internet, and set the system power setting so the computer does not go to sleep mode. Basically, it seems it's vital the system is perfectly inactive during the disc cloning. There may be a good general case for cloning methods that run from a boot CD/thumb drive.

Samsung has an 00800 number for support during the week, which I did not test.

In spite of the teething pains I fully recommend SSDs in general. This product from Samsung seems to operate very well on my laptop, together with an i7 processor. Before you consider buying a new, faster computer/laptop, try a SSD upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy MacBook Pro 2011, 22 Oct 2013
Admittedly ive only had this SSD for a day and a half, but having previously owned a Samsung 840 Basic in my 2007 MacBook (Sata I) and been hugely impressed with the speed that drive offered, it was pretty much a no-brainer to get the Pro model for my 2011 MacBook Pro. It was the drive i always wanted (but i initially ordered a SanDisk Extreme II from amazon as was a better price for my budget. However after receiving the wrong drive and being slightly messed around i decided to just go for the Samsung. I never opened the SanDisk i received so i don't know how that would compare)

Anyway back to the Samsung drive. Knowing my MacBook Pro could max out the Sata III speed it was the logical choice, and having read tons of reviews I know Samsung are the most reliable SSD manufacturer - along with being one of the most compatible for Mac users. i.e. Drives based on the SandForce controller are not hugely compatible with Macs.

I would have also considered the Samsung 840 Evo - But again from trawling Mac forums there are many users that are experiencing slow access speeds when used on a Mac.

I purchased a 5 Sata to USB adapter from Amazon at the same time and cloned my Macs internal HDD onto the new SSD (as i had recently reinstalled a fresh install of Mountain Lion anyway). I used Carbon Copy Cloner (free Disk cloner) to copy this as i know that it would also copy the recovery partition. I simply reduced the partition on my 500Gb HDD to under 250Gb using Disc utility first so that i could clone to the 256Gb SSD. I then booted off the SSD externally to make sure all was ok and then removed the bottom plate of the MacBook Pro with the Ten screws, and then the HDD holding bar and gently prised the Sata connector off.

There is no need to disconnect the battery for this procedure but you may want to for your own precautions. The Sata connectors/ribbons in MacBook Pro's are known to be fairly easy to damage - so take your time and gently prise it off and you wont have any issues. Then simply replace the drive with the SSD and replace everything as before.

The drive booted up fairly slow the first few times (this is normal) and may continue to be slower than expected initially whilst the SSD is 'indexed' be your Mac OS. The more data the longer this will take. I have enabled the 'Trim' command and there are various ways of doing so (Terminal command, Trim enabler, Chameleon etc) search google for Mac Trim if you are unsure. Trim basically handles garbage collection on your SSD - which prolongs the life of the flash band and gives speed benefits too. It has to be enableled by a third party app on Mac OS for Non-Apple drives such as this.

My Macbook is a 2.4Ghz i5 with 16Gb 1333Mhz Ram and the 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro (Late 2011 Model) and now that the SSD has finished indexing and settled down, really fly's - although i knew it would - Its why i chose the drive. I chose the Pro for its Raw speed and fast random access and sequential access speeds. It has proved super fast so far and i know that it will go the distance compared to other lesser brands. My 840 Basic significantly increased battery life too and i am hoping this will increase my already good 7 hour battery life which im sure it will as it also has a really low power rating.

Other drives with great performance and reliability for Macs are Sandisk Extreme II's (Marvell controller - not the SandForce Extreme I) and OWC drives. I'd stay away from OCZ's drives which although quick (just edge out the Samsung 840 Pro) they have a worryingly high failure rate judging by the many forum posts across the web.

In conclusion - If you have a Mac, stop looking and buy the Pro model (until its replaced at least - no news yet) as it really is the best Mac Compatible drive there is. For PC users i would still look at the Evo drive as it is virtually on par performance wise to the Pro model but cheaper. Yes its rated at a lower life due to the TLC as opposed the the Pro's MLC band modules but in the real world it will still outlast the machine you put it in and will be obsolete before it dies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SSD., 20 May 2013
Mr. L. Daniels (uk) - See all my reviews
If you have a Macbook Pro then this Super Samsung ssd is a must have.
Super fast and the most reliable ssd money can buy i think.
Very easy to install and worked no problem.
Make shore TRAM support is on if its not then download TRAM Enabler it free.
I got Write speeds of 488 MB/s and Read speeds of 518 MB/s on Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2012.
Boots up in 12 secs.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent drive, 28 Feb 2013
M. Chrobot "M. Chrobot" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I replaced my crucial m4 with this SSD. So far I'm impressed. Everything works great, it's really fast. The design is excellent; it's a shame that we have to put this inside the case. This drive does come with samsung magician software (optional install). It's a good addition to the drive as it shows you if there are any firmware updates, shows you the health of the drive & helps you optimize your system for use with an SSD.

A lot of people only look at the speed advertised when it comes to SSDs but IOPS (Input/Output Operations Per Second) are also important. It' self-explanatory, the more IOPS the more operations can be performed within a second. This drive combines great speed (almost maxing out sata 3 capabilities) with great IOPS, Samsung uses their own controller, which is similar to the one used by crucial. It doesn't need to compress any data therefore you should get great performance from it all the time, not only when it's able to compress data (like sandforce controllers which I wouldn't recommend).

Honestly, this is currently the best drive on the market for sata 3 connectivity. Yes you can get the 256GB and 512GB which have slightly better performance however you will most likely not notice the difference therefore I would not recommend the larger drives unless you really need the extra space. That's all I can say at this time, I can't wait to see if the performance will be affected a couple of months down the line, but so far so good.

btw here are the performance stats:

Sequential Read Speed: Up to 530MB/s
Sequential Write Speed: Up to 390MB/s
Random Read Speed: Up to 97K IOPS
Random Write Speed: Up to 90K IOPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and large capacity SSD, bundled with great Samsung SSD management software!, 19 Aug 2013
This is an extremely fast high capacity SSD! I chose this SSD after doing a lot of research on high capacity SSDs and this Samsung SSD was highly recommended for performance, capacity and reliability. I have a high performance self built PC, which is 6 months old and I had originally installed a high performance 200 Gb OCZ vertex 4 SSD for my OS disk. I ran out of space on the Vertex 4, so decided to invest in a larger capacity SSD that should last a reasonable time , although the cost is prohibitive compared to standard HDDs. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my new Samsung 840 series Pro outperforms the OCZ vertex 4 speed wise. In addition the free Samsung Magician SSD software, enables you to monitor the health of the SSD, run various tests on it, configure TRIM requirements if your running an older OS that doesn't already support it, as well as providing an easy way to configure your SSD and OS for various modes including max performance, reliability, maximum life etc of your SSD through presets that you just apply if you want them. You can also modify these presets should you wish to do so and considering I did a fresh install of my Win 8 x64 OS on installation of my new Samsung SSD and WIN 8 didn't automatically recognise and configure the OS for running on an SSD as it is supposed to do. Therefore the Samsung Magician software is a real bonus as it makes it so easy to get the most out of your SSD, especially if you are new to SSDs or a novice with making changes to MS OS to maximise the life of your SSD. So the only con is the high cost of this high capacity SSD, but if you can afford it I definitely recommend getting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast with Windows 8 pro 64-bit. os., 8 Aug 2013
J. Karhu (FINLAND) - See all my reviews
This thing is very fast! I can't believe how quick my PC boots. Less the 10 seconds. And with installed services at start up it is ready to use in 20 seconds. I have had zero problems so far.

I definitely recommend this product if you motherboard have a sata 3 ports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 Jun 2013
This is the best SSD you can get! Read / write speeds as advertised (cystal mark and other tests), reliability is very high (was able to update the firmware without any data loss). 100 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 19 Mar 2013
Looks good feels good. Very speedy and solid. Price is the difficult part as Samsung has a cheapper SSD with 500GB. I bought both and feel this one to be speedier as tests also show. However it should be sold with a 2.5' to 3.5' HDD converter included.