4.0 out of 5 stars A great SSD drive but consider other options
The new Samsung 840 series is a great development in their SSDs however the Samsung 830 series is still currently a better buy for your money as it stands.

If you upgrading your SSD and already have either a 830 or SSD of similar performance consider moving up to at least the Samsung 840 series PRO to make it worth while.

The performance of the 256GB...
Published 22 months ago by Eagleuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good SSD Drive useless free software
Good SSD but the software for disk management is pathetic....I couldn't clone my HDD to the new SSD with the suppied software. I had to reinstall Windows
Published 18 months ago by Martyn Rhodes

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Accessory)
I had no problem geting the drive to be recognised by Windows 7. I should point out that it lives in an external case and will mainly be used to read data 90% of the time.

I specifically went for the SSD format because it will be lugged around with other equipment and this is something conventional hard drives are not happy to put up with for too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boot up to 17 sec!!, 27 Jan 2013
P. Card "TiDo" (Greece) - See all my reviews
I changed the HDD from my Dell with this one, Samsung ssd 840. What an improvent!!
I also load win 8 in my laptop and now the boot is up to 17 sec!!
Totally recomended..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price and good upgrade for my ultrabook, 27 Jan 2013
Bought this for my ultrabook about month ago and it has been running great and I haven't encountered any problems with it.
Price/performance was better than on other 7mm ssd drives (bought from flashdeal).

Its not as fast as 830 (I have one on my desktop) and 840 pro but for laptop use its great and you really don't notice speed difference in normal use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast drive, 22 Jan 2013
My computer is much faster with this hard drive as before. Very good quality, easy to use. Strongly recommend. Ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SSD, 9 Jan 2013
I ordered this SSD for a new build computer, and I must say it is amazing.
I used this SSD as a primary OS HDD and my computer can start up from cold boot in less than 20 seconds, all thanks to the Samsung 840.

It is not only functional, it looks good too, not that this is an important factor and was easy to install.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good way to revive an aging laptop, 3 Dec 2012
I used one of these to upgrade a Dell Studio 17 laptop bought in Nov 2009. It replaced a Seagate ST9320423AS 320Gb conventional drive. I was expecting a big improvement in boot-up times and program loading but was surprised at the improvement in speed of web pages coming up. Pages that load cached pictures snap up in impressive style although my rural internet service is slow and many pages still pause and stutter in the old way. Programs running from the local hard disk were never a real problem; however editing pictures, particularly from raw files, has speeded up dramatically. On the whole it has been a very worthwhile way to update the aging laptop.

There are however some caveats. Replacing your hard drive is a technical operation, not for the under-confident. You need an external SATA connector and disk cloning software to do it. The supplied utility expects to see Norton Ghost to work which is either pointless or cynical marketing. I already had Acronis True Image Home installed; I was able to use that and it went without hitch. I had prepared my disk for the operation before I started, since the SSD was smaller than the previous disk. I moved all my pictures onto a network drive and then ran defragment from the Disc Properties - tools.

Another problem is that depending on the laptop design you may not be able to use the original drive as a second disk. My laptop has a space for it but needs a special bracket with right-angle SATA adapter. I can't find the bracket available as a spare on the internet but If I ring around I may find one. If your replacement SSD is much smaller than the original disk this might be a problem but if you have the external connector and disk cloning software you have the best backup system possible, just keep cloning to the old disk and you are ready to go again within minutes of a total disk catastrophe.

The 230 series was very little cheaper at the time but the PRO a lot more expensive. Most of what I say would apply to any SSD, this one just happened to be the best value at the time. So compare current prices and make your own judgement. Also if you don't have the cloning software there is a deal Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 6GBps 256GB Notebook Accessory Kit with Free Norton Ghost 15

PS Mrs Happy is my partner and would not be up to changing a Hard drive! we use the same computer I would change the profile but I just can't be bothered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, worked first time in Macbook Late 2008 13" Unibody Aluminium, 22 Jun 2013
I was considering selling my Macbook, as it was the late 2008 aluminium unibdoy, mine was the first of the aluminium macbook that the pro is now based on, and as such was starting to feel a little slow, even having been upgraded already to 8Gb of RAM and having had a previous upgraded hard drive to 650Gb.

The I watched the Samsung SSD Angels video on youtube (search for it!!) and once I saw this I thought I'd give it a go, electing for the non-pro version of the 840, to save on the pennies.

WOW !!

This thing is supersonic, the macbook now boots completely to the desktop in 32 seconds, awakes from sleep in less that 2 seconds and feels like using a new macbook pro.

In fact I had a race booting the macbook, running various apps including iPhoto and a few others against my friends 2011 Macbook Pro, and my little old ordinary macbook left it behind, feeling much snappier to use.

If you are thinking of throwing out that old macbook or condemning it to an e-auction site then don't do it, for less than £130 you can breath new life into your long cherished pride and joy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick boot-up, 6 Jun 2013
J. R. Pike - See all my reviews
I chose this SSD to install in my desktop PC. With this SSD as my boot drive and with Windows 8 as my OS, my PC boots up in less than 10 seconds, never had that before!

5.0 out of 5 stars first one and seems great, 6 Jun 2013
Mr. T. Moss "Nano" (uk) - See all my reviews
its my first ssd and I had it up and running within a few hours, I chose to mess about with windows backup but it saved me having to reinstall all my existing programs on a fresh install of the system and I don't appear to have any oddities after making the change

I have noticed faster boot times and slightly faster desktop responses on cold boots and restarts

all in all seems like a good buy

just to say that I did a quick google for ssd setup, found out that by default you need to connect this as a spare drive and use disk manager to format it before it will be useable (something about drive alignment)

following that I used windows backup to create a bootable repair install dvd and a spare hdd to create the backup from the original hdd, windows backup does take a long time to complete but its free and it works (I have used it man times before) I didn't even look at the instructions in the box or touch the software supplied, simply connected the drive to the pc, used disk manager to format into the correct alignment (this prevents the disc becoming unrecognisable once data is shoved onto it) and removed the old hdd from the system and used my backup and recovery discs, took about 4 hours from start to finish, and yes i'm sure I could of achieved this in far less time had I bought some other software

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes any computer snappy, 6 Jun 2013
It is true that an SSD is the best upgrade you can use now. Boot time went from 40 secs to 14 secs. I have a mac book pro I wanted to spec an SSD from new but this way was much cheaper. I used Disk utility to copy old HDD which took 2 hours then 10 mins to slot it in, sorted. Only being using it for 2 days so not a long term user but so far its great. I like Samsung as a brand never let me down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 326 | Next ›