4.0 out of 5 stars A great SSD drive but consider other options
The new Samsung 840 series is a great development in their SSDs however the Samsung 830 series is still currently a better buy for your money as it stands.

If you upgrading your SSD and already have either a 830 or SSD of similar performance consider moving up to at least the Samsung 840 series PRO to make it worth while.

The performance of the 256GB...
Published 20 months ago by Eagleuk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good SSD Drive useless free software
Good SSD but the software for disk management is pathetic....I couldn't clone my HDD to the new SSD with the suppied software. I had to reinstall Windows
Published 16 months ago by Martyn Rhodes

4.0 out of 5 stars A great SSD drive but consider other options, 6 Nov 2012
Eagleuk - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Accessory)

The performance of the 256GB models is below so you can compare. (IOPS = In out Operations per Second)

Samsung 830 SSD | Read 520MB/s (IOPS 80k) Write 400MB/s (IOPS 36k)

Samsung 840 SSD | Read 540MB/s (IOPS 96k) Write 250MB/s (IOPS 62k)

Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Read 540 MB/s (IOPS 100k) Write 520MB/s (IOPS 90k)

As you can see the 840 has a much slower write speed; this is due to it using TLC NAND. The write speeds for the standard 840 is still adequate so is a great choice versus the cheaper 830s if you want a slightly higher read speed. If you do however require to be able to write a large amount of data on your SSD drive and you don't want to spend the extra money for the pro the 830 would be a much better choice giving all around great read and write speeds.

Overall to sum up, if you already have a 830 SSD upgrade to the 840 series PRO or stick with your current SSD.

If you upgrading from a much slower early SSD or are buying your first SSD drive, the 830 series would be an ideal choice and offers you the best value for money. However if your not cautious about money the go ahead and buy the Samsung 840 PRO SSD as it provides unrivalled performance.

Just as added information when using this SSD set your Motherboard Bios setting to AHCI for this drive.

Please note the Basic Kit will not include a 3.5" to 2.5" bracket, to install the SSD in a 3.5" slot in your pc you will have to purchase one.

5.0 out of 5 stars After installing this, every other PC is slow, 1 Jan 2013
Really impressed, I ignored the software supplied.
* Put the SSD into a DIGIFLEX 2.5 Sata to USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Enclosure Case Laptop and PC parts (Which I bought for an external drive and for the purpose I have just used it)
* Cloned it using Paragon Hard Disk Manage 11 Suite, took about 25mins because I let it copy all the bloatware as well.
* I will perform a clean install sometime, I just had to check it out.
* The laptop I have is a new Dell Inspiron 17R SE, one of the things that let it down is the 5400rpm HDD, ok no Dell warranty now but what a machine.
* Everything runs quicker, from boot up to opening photo elements, web pages, the lot.
* The battery life of the laptop was nothing great, that's changed, for the better.
* I regularly have multiple web pages open and the fan would kick in, no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value exceptional performance, 4 Dec 2012
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought the samsung 840 SSD to replace the Western Digital 1TB VelociRaptor Hard Drive as the boot disk in my Desktop Mac Pro. The velociraptor is pretty much the fastest spinning disk and because of that it was the last machine I upgraded. My computer uses disk caddy's rather than cables so I had to buy an Cremax ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-1B 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch SSD and SATA HDD Converter in order to use it. If your desktop doesnt use cables you may need something similar too for your desktop. If you are getting it for your notebook you likely wont need anything extra to use it.

Installation on my desktop it was a simple job; of slotting it into the case and connecting it. Once setup my computer boots up about 3x quicker than my old disk. Starting applications is mostly instant. One downside to SSD's is the cost compared to storage - I bought mine on a todays deal so the price was good but I only have 1/4 the storage I had before. It delivers on speed and that matters to me - If you are installing it into your desktop - in most cases you can still use your original disk. If you are using notebooks there are kits that come with a caddy that turn your old hard disk into a USB disk.

Its exceptionally fast (even compared to other slightly older drives I have.) There is a supplied CD with tools for managing the disk (on windows) after you have installed it but doesn't come with a tool to migrate your disks so you will need a utility to do that (or the original disks from your computer to set things up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 28 Dec 2012
MattGB (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for a mid 2011 MacBook Pro 13", I used super duper to clone the existing hdd to a USB external drive. Watched a video on YouTube and then replaced the existing hdd with this ssd. Easy to install, super fast response times. I had recently installed mountain lion, an this ssd makes up for he drop in response times and more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good SSD Drive useless free software, 20 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightning deals FTW!, 24 Jan 2013
I bought this on a lightning deal for 119.00. So far, performance is very good and it has been reliable. Arrived well packed and on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast SSD Drive, 2 Feb 2013
I changed it from OCZ Vertex 3 and I can see improvement of performance. I'm mostly working with Visual Studio 2010/2012 + Adobe Master Collection. For games it is good as well (on LoL my game is always loaded first before any one ;) (most time I have 100% while most of players just start loading)...

5.0 out of 5 stars Like expected - fast & reliable, 31 Jan 2013
Got this from the Boxing day deals so even the price was OK. Boys are glad that their games and other programs launch quickly

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 29 Jan 2013
AlexB (Stoke Poges, England) - See all my reviews
Now that I've successfully cloned my Windows 7 hard disk, I've nothing but praise for this product. I eventually used the free version of Macrium Reflect to clone it. I don't know why Samsung recommends the use of Ghost.

There is a significant improvement in laptop performance - boot times are considerably reduced and applications open almost instantaneously.

AlexB

4.0 out of 5 stars Gave useful boost to performance of PC, 29 Jan 2013
Good Value for money compared to similar SSD drives (it was in January sale)
Note this drive (like most) doesn't include SATA cables so don't forget to order them separately.
The Software CD comes with a trial version of Symantec Ghost which needs purchasing to use, however if you register the drive on the Samsung website you can download a free Samsung utility that can clone a physical hard disk onto the SSD.

Good drive at a good price but would be better served by having the Samsung disk cloning software on the CD