After Sentinel's wonderful review
Thought the track listing and a list of the actual albums would be useful
The Albums are
Stan Getz at Storyville, Vol. 1 (1951)
Stan Getz at Storyville, Vol. 2 (1951)
Chamber Music (1953)
For Musicians Only (1956)
Stan Getz and The Oscar Peterson Trio (1957)
Getz Meets Mulligan In Hi-Fi (1957)
Stan Getz and The Cal Tjader Sextet (1958)
Cool Velvet: Getz and Strings (1960)

The listings and album on the CDs are

CD 1:

14. Whisper Not 5.00
15. Good-Bye 4.22
16. Nature Boy 2.58
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 January 2012
This is a truly lovely collection from the melodic master. Disc 1 combines two live albums from Storyville, albeit with a running time of just under an hour, and that with 'Hershey Bar' strangely truncated. However, the material and performances here are simply sublime: gorgeously joyful, fresh melodies from Haig (piano), Raney (guitar), Kotick (bass) and Kahn (drums). There are no weak numbers here, quite the reverse, with my highlight being the exquisite 'The Song is You'.

Disc 2 combines 'Chamber Music' and 'For Musicians Only', with changes in the backing musicians, but no dilution of the quality of the playing, including memorable versions of 'Autumn Leaves' and 'These Foolish Things', while the latter album sees both Dizz Gillespie and Sonny Stitt join Getz in extended workouts 'Bebop', a lovely 'Dark Eyes', 'Wee' and 'Lover Come Back to Me', which range from over 8 to over 12 minutes each.

Disc 3 features a happy combination with Oscar Peterson's Trio, with quality & melody at the heart of everything, especially a lyrical 'Pennies from Heaven'. meanwhile 'Getz meets Mulligan in Hi-Fi' sees tenor and baritone horns interweave lushy rich ballads such as 'Let's Fall in Love' and 'That Old Feeling'. A truly magical cd altogether.

Disc 4 sees a substantial shift in style, with the Cal Tjader Sextet, with the dancing lightness of Tjader's vibes grounded in the legendary rhythm section of LaFaro and Higgins on bass and drums respectively. 'Cool Velvet' sees Getz creamy late-night refrain paint gentle pictures against an orchestral backwash; a little close at times to musical wallpaper, but always rescued in time, and with some truly addictive pieces to draw you back again.

So: a wonderfully rich selection of Getz's versatile and honeyed tones. Very limited biographical detail on the albums, and no context at all, but very good sound quality throughout. A gorgeous and sublime bargain.
on 25 May 2012
I must admit to being not only a Getz fan and a Getz disc hoarder (over 100 CD's) but also a failed Getz imitator. Since the age of 16 I've listened to and tried to emulate the tenor sax genius from the Esquire 78's, through 45's and 10"/12" LP's to cassette tape and mini-disc. I thought I had most of his recorded work but this top-value 53 track 4-CD set brought me at least 20 tracks new to me. But it also brought an outstanding collection of some of his very best work recorded in the late '50's (with Petersen, Mulligan and Tjader). The very early 1951 Storyville Club tracks sound a little tired but the entire package charts the development of Stan's style from his first work as a leader to world class supremacy as a soloist with Norman Granz's touring JATP crews. Not a single bad track or solo - magnificent!
on 11 September 2012
It's hard to fault the value here and I've very much enjoyed hearing these tracks again. For me, the Oscar Peterson disc alone is worth the cost of entry. The publishers drop one star for failing to include a track listing but, happily, I was able to download this from another reviewer. Recommended.
on 14 December 2012
I was a Stan Getz fan way back in the 60s and gave all my old records to charity a few years ago. I have returned to my favourite Jazz music and am so pleased I can replace my old records on Amazon with CDs.
The service regarding delivery and packaging is first class and the music is great.
on 14 September 2012
All the tracks are well mastered, clear and good quality for old recordings. Now for the subjective bit:-
I am not a wholehearted admirer of Stan Getz or an authority on jazz, these are just my opinions. I find the recordings of very variable musical worth. Getz needs inspiration from those around him to play at his best - warm, lyrical, imaginative and yet disciplined. At his worst he can be something of a parody - empty virtuosity or maudlin sentiment with exaggerated breathy vibrato and sloppy sliding around in pitch. In this set by far the best recordings are with Oscar Peterson and Gerry Mulligan, these alone are worth buying the set for.
Perhaps the very best of Getz is in his Latin American tracks, which are not included.
on 15 September 2012
An excellent compilation. Sound quality is good throughout. The packaging is quite humorous. The 4 CD's are printed up to look like vinyl. My only niggle is the track listing. CD 2 has the track info for CD 1. Confused the hell out of me til I sussed it. I couldn't work out why I had ripped 4 CD's and only got three listings. A bit of editing and it's sorted. Lucky I had something good to listen to while I did all that keyboard shuffling.
on 30 May 2014
Yes, I have other Stan Getz albums, and yes, I play them on both my jazz shows, so I didn't need conversion to buy this set. The audio on some of the live albums is not pure, but you expect that on live recordings. What doesn't change is the man's mastery of his instrument, but certainly not of his personal life.
on 4 March 2013
I am no jazz fan but I love Stan Getz's slow relaxing Bossa Nova saxaphone music. Having 8 of his albums looked good value. Unfortunately his early stuff disappointed me. A lot of the tracks are fast skiffly session type music (as I said I am not a real jazz fan). For me disc 4 is better because the recording sounds better and the tracks are slower/more considered (but perhaps a little overproduced with the orchestra in background).

An interesting purchase.