on 15 October 2012
The two main characters, introvert Christopher just wanting an average quiet life & extrovert private detective wanna be Amaryllis become involved in solving an armed robbery & murder while small town Pitkirty is cut off during heavy snow fall.

Newcomer Mal, an ex army soldier, extrovert & adventure seeker catches Amaryllis's attention as she ponders exciting possibilities outside Pitkirtly & away from Christopher, but all is not as it seems with Mal.

The local police while trying to solve the robbery & murder have other issues to contend with & due to the Christmas season are under staffed.

The storyline builds with other characters becoming involved including the Lord of Pitkirtly Manor, with some twists & turns.

Much of the time it felt like a Novel set in the 1950's with the characters names, bumbling police, rules amiss, a feisty private eye, a cosy tea & cake type mystery, which dont get me wrong , i enjoy that type of read but then i would be jolted back to the present day by someone answering a mobile phone or the mention of 24hrs news channel on tv.

I struggled with the name Amaryliss throughout the book, it just seemed out of place to me & found it distracting but others may not have this issue.

It's a slow start but then picks up & held my attention more from about half way through with plenty of action towards the end.

Overall a cosy read
on 6 October 2012
Ah, a new Pitkirtly book from Cecilia. I'm in heaven. Until I finish it, then I'm waiting for the next.

I really love this series of books. I love the "are they going out?" of Amaryllis and Christopher and I love the interaction between the characters.

This story is set amongst the heavy snow of Christmas-time. The village is cut off and there's been a robbery. Of course Amaryllis wants to stick her nose in it and Christopher wants a quiet life. Chief Inspector Smith gets more of a part in this one. I like him.

I think this is one of my favourite of the Pitkirtly novels.
on 31 December 2012
This is the usual good fun read from Cecilia Peartree and filled the limbo time between Christmas and New Year perfectly.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 October 2015
This is the fifth in the Pitkirtly Mysteries series and is a rather claustrophobic adventure in which Pitkirtly is cut off by snow for the Christmas and New Year period. There is a robbery at the jeweller's and the local police force is seriously hampered by the weather. All my favourite characters were there and the remarkable Amaryllis Peebles, donning her pink PI bulletproof vest, decides to take on the jewel robbery, when it's discovered that the most expensive item on the list turns out to be a fake.

This is another great little story in which, although there are murders and bodies, the reader is never subjected to gratuitous violence. This series is full of quirky characters and is delightfully written. I’m pleased to see that I have several more to read. A bit of a mystery wrapped in a wonderful gentle wit is just what I enjoy.
on 14 March 2013
I love this series of books from Cecilia Peartree, she has developed the characters to the point where I can't wait for the next book to come out. Must admit that it doesn't take me long to read each book, not because they are short but simply because I can't put 'em down once I have started.There is quite a bit of gentle humour and this balanced with the character descriptions and the suspense makes for the kind of read I really enjoy. Hope that Cecilia continues to produce at least one of these books a year, well done to her.
on 7 June 2013
The story as in the other Pitkirtly books includes some endearing characters including the somewhat exotic Amyrllis.
The books can be read independently but I think it is best to start with "Crime in the Community". And we know a bit more about the Fife area; education for a soft southerner.

Oh, the plots are interesting too and always a bit of a surprise. More power to Cecilia Peartree's pen!

David Smith
on 8 November 2012
As with all Cecilia Peartree's novels, it was quirky and a great read! I can't wait for the next one!
on 29 January 2014
This book seems to me to be of the 'cosy' genre and is thoroughly enjoyable. I like the well fleshed out characters and the engrossing and humorous plot. Reading this book inspired me to get all the others in the series and I do not regret it for a moment.
on 21 May 2013
I found this book in the series the best of them all. The characters have come a long way since crime in the community and they are getting to be like old friends. Looking forward to the next in the series when it comes out
on 18 July 2015
I love the Pitkirtly Mysteries - I've always thought there was something surreal about West Fife - and this one had all the usual ingredients mixed with snow!