5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH SIX STARS
Published 20 months ago by Alexander Bryce

3.0 out of 5 stars It seems a wasted opportunity, a jump ahead too far
Having read 600 hours of Edward and absolutely loving it I was very keen to find out what happened to him next. As I started reading Edward Adrift, I thought this must be book number 3 and I've missed one out, but no, this is the follow up book. I found that strange, there are many questions not answered, who is Donna's husband, how did she meet him and how would Edward...
Published 19 hours ago by Alison Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH SIX STARS, 15 Jun. 2013
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the best books I have read in a long time.This is the second of what I hope will be a series of volumes about the Asberger syndrome suffering Edward. Although I have not read the first [which I am about to put right], Edward Adrift is a fine stand alone read. Set in present day Montana; his father has died, his mother has moved to Texas, his best friends and psychiatrist have left town and to crown it all he looses his job. "Adrift" does not nearly cover such changes in his over precise, over regulated life.
He gets a call for help from said friends whose 12 year old son has gone off the rails and being a decent man he leaves the security of his home and drives to the rescue. There follows a hilarious road trip, documented in every detail, with young Kyle as Edward tries to rekindle their friendship and discover what went wrong in Kyle's young life. On their travels they meet the motel owning Shiela Renfro who is just a little bit unusual and a touching friendship develops which could lead to a permanent relationship until Edward's mother intervenes. To expose more in a review would be wrong, but be assured that there are a few twists and developments along the way to the conclusion.
This is a beautiful love story with never a dull moment.
There is humour, sometimes laugh out loud humour,on almost every page.The leading characters are so likeable that one wants the tale to turn out well. But will it?
The author,Craig Lancaster is a new discovery for me and I relish reading his previous and future work.
Anyone who likes a well crafted yarn peppered with realistic dialogue. believable characters and dollops of humour will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward Adrift, 10 April 2013
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the follow up to 600 Hours of Edward, things are not going so well for 42-year old Mr. Stanton, who suffers from Asperger's syndrome. Much has changed for Edward in the years following his father's death. His friends have moved away, he has lost his job, his therapist has retired and now he has also been diagnosed with diabetes. In addition to this, his nightly scheduled viewing of the Dragnet TV series has been disrupted. When his friend and former neighbour Donna rings to say that her son and Edward's best friend 12-year-old Kyle has been expelled from school, he is keen to help which leads to a road trip to Boise. Will Edward manage to help Kyle and get his own life back in order?

I would recommend Edward Adrift to those who enjoyed 600 Hours of Edward and would recommend reading that book first if you have not already read it to fully understand the characters and their motivations. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel and look forward to reading the next instalment of Edward's life, which there must surely be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, even without having read 600 hours of Edward, 6 Sept. 2013
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I choose this book from reading the blurb on amazon but missed that it was a sequel. When the book arrived I realised but, as I had not read the first book, was a bit apprehensive. Quickly I found that I had not missed out on anything and that this book stands on its own very well as the back story is explained in Edwards precise way of talking.
Edward narrates his tale day by day starting from him losing his job. He has aspergers and OCD which give him a factual, unemotive way of thinking about the world. Particularly interesting is that he is very aware of the consequences of his condition and has done a lot of work to mitigate (I like this word!) these effects. In his daily weather and travel journal we see his obsessive tendancies and get into his head through the narration.
He is a very realistic character and easy to engage with on many levels. There is however something quite dry about him which I found difficult at times. Edwards adventures do have elements of humour in them which I'm not convinced worked all of the time as it is hard to have reality and humour at the same time. I recently read The Rosie Project which has a similar protagonist but primarily aims to be funny and hits it on the nail everytime. Whilst Edward is very real there are a few surprisingly sensitive things he does which don't quite seem to follow the rest of his character.
This is being a little picky though and generally I thought this was a great book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking., 1 July 2013
This review is from: Edward Adrift (Kindle Edition)
Having worked with children with special needs for many years, and also known quite a few delightful adults, many undiagnosed as children, who have gone on to make very happy lives and relationships, I found this book interesting. It portrayed well Edwards difficulties and "specialness" as an adult with Asperger's, as well as presenting him very much as an individual capable of giving so much to others. A good, unusual read.

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens next??LOVE THIS BOOK!, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Edward Adrift (Kindle Edition)
I have just read '600 hours of Edward' and 'Edward Adrift' back to back in 3 days! What a wonderful character and absolutely brilliantly written books. I have worked with'developmentally disabled but not stupid' children most of my working life and the joy of reading books by an author who clearly can see how special these amazing people are has been a complete joy. Thank you Mr Lancaster for Edward!
I have laughed,cried and cheered with him through every page and each book left me with that 'feel good' feeling which is so rare in today's fiction.
I rate both these books 5 stars and recommend them to everyone.
(Could we please have a follow up?I really want to know what happens next to our unlikely hero and his Sheila!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward Adrift, 20 April 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Edward is forty two and has Asperger's syndrome and his life is falling apart. He has just been made redundant, he is still coming to terms with his father's death and his best friends - Donna, Kyle and Victor have moved six hundred miles away. But then he receives a call from Donna asking him to come and stay with them to see if he can help Kyle, her son, who is behaving strangely. To add insult to injury Edward has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and he is trying to deal with the side effects of his medication, trying to take more exercise and eat sensibly.

For anyone this is a huge amount of change to deal with all in one go and for Edward it could be catastrophic. The book shows how he deals with it all and makes a new friend who just might turn out to be more than a friend. You really need to have read `600 Hours of Edward' to appreciate all the nuances of this novel. It is well written and I really felt I could understand how Edward thinks and how devastating relatively simple changes can be for him

I loved the way the author dealt with Edward's relationship with Kyle and the way he portrayed Kyle and his problems. I also liked the subtle, and not so subtle changes in the way Edward records his life. He is learning to make decisions and not to get hung up on them. I loved the lists too - they made me laugh out loud at times. In fact this book is full of humour but the reader laughs with Edward not at him. There are many poignant touches and it is a real feel good read - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward Adrift, 17 April 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For all of us who came to know, and love, Edward Stanton in 600 Hours of Edward it is great to get reaquainted with him again. However, it is fair to say that Edward's life is not in great shape when we meet him again - Dr Buckley, his long term therapist, has retired, he has lost his job, been diagnosed with diabetes and even his "Dragnet" tapes are broken. Plus, he is missing neighbour Donna, who has remarried and moved away. Then, Donna contacts him to say that her son Kyle is troubled and has been expelled from school and Edward sets out on a trip to see them.

During this book, Edward has to deal with difficult behaviour from Kyle, come to terms with his father's death and is even faced with the possibility of finding love. Edward is a fantastic character, a forty two year old who sees the world a little differently because of his Asperger's Syndrome, he is often very literal, but always a good friend. To be honest, I would not read this before reading the first book about Edward, as the relationships with his friends and family will make better sense if you know the history between them. These novels are a delight though and if you do consider reading them, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than 600 Hours :-), 17 May 2013
This review is from: Edward Adrift (Kindle Edition)
I loved Edward from the first book but he really seems to grow as a person in this one.

Inspiring, made me laugh out loud and I couldn't wait for my boyfriend to read bits so that we could talk about them.

Beautiful story too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Believable and touching next chapter in Edward's life, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Edward Adrift (Paperback)
This is the sequel to the wonderful 600 Hours of Edward, which I read earlier this year and couldn't recommend highly enough. I was so looking forward to meeting Edward again in Edward Adrift and, although I don't think this quite matches the magic of the first book, it was another delight to read. I'll avoid any spoilers of this new book here, but if you've not yet read 600 Hours you may not want to read on.

When we left Edward at the end of the last book, he had (with the help of Dr Buckley) taken great steps by opening himself up to friendship but was also dealing with his father's death. At the start of Edward Adrift, a lot has changed: Dr Buckley has retired; Donna has remarried and moved away, taking Kyle with her; Edward has been made redundant; and his mother has begun spending large chunks of the year in Texas. Edward's routines have been disrupted and he finds himself unsure where to go from here. So when Donna calls with worrying news about Kyle, it gives Edward a new sense of purpose and the motivation he needs to venture outside his comfort zone and Billings. Despite his meticulous planning, things don't quite go as expected and Edward finds himself on a much bigger adventure than he anticipated.

Edward's voice is in some ways quite different from how I remembered it, but that makes sense because of how far he came in 600 Hours (although I think it makes this a bit more of an adult book than the first one). We really get an insight into the coping mechanisms that Edward has developed, and his attempts to understand situations from other people's perspectives. It's lovely to see how his relationship with Donna has grown: she considers him part of her family, and he is able to put his more selfish impulses aside and appreciate that friendship is a two-way thing.

Despite these changes and developments, the lovely quirks that make Edward Edward are still there: the frequent `I love that word' asides, his habit of quoting Dr Buckley when a situation troubles him, and his tendency to call people by their full names (even in conversation, much to the annoyance of Sheila Renfro), for example. He's also developed some new quirks, like his fondness for lists but complete inability to round them off nicely. I suspect that many readers, though not sufferers of OCD or Asperger's thesmelves, will recognise certain traits and tendencies in Edward. For me, I felt I'd found a kindred spirit when Edward, in a characteristically matter-of-fact way, asserts that `people say that grammar is difficult to understand, but it's really not if you just pay attention.'

I suppose 600 Hours can be seen as something of a `coming of age' novel, and so - while things did happen and there were big events - there was a lot of focus on character and psychology. Edward Adrift feels slightly different: there's much more `action' and transcribed conversation with other people, and a little less introspection. I think this is right for the novel and for Edward's story, but I think that's why for me it feels just slightly less special. It also means there's less to say (without giving away the twists and turns of the plot) because the character is already established and his psychology takes something of a back seat.

One thing I didn't enjoy was the addition of chapters (or log-book entries) from the perspectives of Kyle and Sheila. They make sense in terms of the events of the novel, but for me they disrupt the flow. (Maybe this was the intention of the author, to mimic the disruption in Edward's life in the narrative.) It puts a different spin on things, seeing these characters not just through direct speech and Edward's interpretation, but through their own words, and I could probably have done without it.

I would absolutely recommend Edward Adrift to anyone who enjoyed 600 Hours of Edward. I think you do need to read them in sequence, to really understand the characters and the nuances of various relationships. Edward remains a wonderful protagonist and narrator, and Craig Lancaster has achieved the right balance of keeping the things that make Edward special whilst also developing him sufficiently for it not to feel stagnant or repetitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel, 5 Nov. 2013
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is three years since we left Edward that this story picks up, and a lot has happened in that time. Edward, who has Asperger's syndrome, now finds himself very much alone. His best friends Donna and her son Kyle have moved away, his much respected therapist has retired, he has new health problems, and his job is about to go. While he appears to be enduring what some might call an annus horribilis (Edward has other words to describe it), and things just seem to be getting worse, there maybe light ahead.
Donna had contacted him to seek his help with Kyle, now twelve years old, who is having problems at school as well as at home. So we follow Edward as he makes the journey to visit his friends and as he takes Kyle on a short trip away. It is while Edward is devoting his time to helping Kyle that owner of the motel where they are staying takes an interest in him, and while the feelings are reciprocated, Edward's insecurity combined with an untimely intervention seem doomed to put payed to any hopes for a possible romance.
Edward Adrift is a worthy successor to 600 Hours of Edward, it has all the charm and humour of the latter, develops Edward as a character most satisfyingly, and makes for a most rewarding read. No doubt reading 600 Hours of Edward first is preferable, but I am sure this novel is quite capable of standing on its own merits so can just as easily be read in isolation.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this; I wonder if there is any hope that Craig Lancaster will see his way to providing us with a third installment?

Edward Adrift