4.0 out of 5 stars An Extra-ordinary Beginning!!, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: An Extra-Ordinary Beginning (The Adventures of Eric and Ursula Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As an English teacher it is always great to come across a book that you know will engage and excite young readers. 'An Extra-ordinary Beginning' has all the key ingredients to do this: a fast-flowing plot with more exciting locations that a James Bond movie; compelling main characters who have universal appeal (it is particularly refreshing to see a savvy, super-intelligent black girl as one of the main protagonists!) and strong themes such as identity, family and friendship that young readers will identify with. Yes - this first novel could do with some slicker editing in places - but overall this is a seductive first installment to the trilogy. I'm ready for the second book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very promising start, 30 Oct 2012
Really enjoyed this after a slow start. The initial scenes are a little confusing to my mind - but stick with it and you are soon embroiled in a fast-paced absorbing plot which twists and turns without ever spinning out of control. The character lines I thought were really strong too - with the stand out characters coming alive even within the pacy plot and constant changes of location (which I confess I found a little distracting).
There are some great touches of empathy with youngsters and situations which draw the reader into taking sides and really hoping for the right outcome - a must for the younger reader.
Intriguingly we will have to wait for the sequels - but based on this opener, they promise to be well worth the wait.
A really worthy debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 17 Oct 2012
What a fantastic read! Engaging from the first page, with a plot that twists and turns as it leads the reader through the story. Going to pass it on to the kids to read now I've finished!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Adventures of Eric and Ursula, 16 Oct 2012
This is a gripping book with fast flowing action and twists and turns where you'd least expect them! Behind the scenes lurk the unexpected and the reader is engaged fully in the plot. But apart from the intrigue and the action lies a gentle hand in dealing with childrens' pain, loss and isolation. I recommend this book to parents and children alike; to anyone who dares to be different. School Libraries - you need this one in your arsenal! Can't wait for Book 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this book and you will grow to love the well conceived characters and seek out their new adventures, 3 Jun 2014
There are some great filmic scenes that I just had to read again to enjoy them twice! Have recommended many times for emerging readers too who are beginning to explore a good story construction and the concept of a cliff hanger. A top read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure, 20 April 2014
This first novel is a very easy read and exteremely entertaining, from the fact that my wife our sdon and two granddaughters have read and enjoyed this book shows that it is great for all ages

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 28 Jan 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it difficult to put down - needing to know what was going to happen next. The characters are well- written and believable (even if they have super-human powers!) and I enjoyed being taken along on their adventures to different countries . Although this booked is aimed at young readers, it is still a great read for the child in all of us! A great story should appeal to readers of every age, and this does indeed. Looking forward to the imminent second book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really liked this book!, 27 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed 'An extra-ordinary Beginning' on Kindle. It was a good intro to what should be a great series. I am not much of an adventure-book reader really so it took me a while to get used to the kind of 'futuristic' extra terrestrial space type element, but actually it was quite easy to get the hang of and I can certainly see how it will appeal to younger readers. I liked the dynamic between the two main characters and how their relationship develops, very realistic. As you get into this book it is really pretty easy to read, and gets gripping as the plot unfolds. I would definitely recommend it for a present for keen teenage readers, or maybe 11-12 year olds who are into reading longer novels. But it's great for adults too as I am 32 and I enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 27 Jan 2014
I am an avid reader of science fiction and fantasy, and I absolutely loved this story. I have read a huge number of books in this genre and this is on my list of favourties. It grabbed my attention so much that I read it in one sitting next to a swimming pool on holidays, I simply couldn't put it down, and I can't wait to read the second.