5.0 out of 5 stars Darren Clarke, An Open Book

3.0 out of 5 stars great tale - poorly ghost written
Published 23 months ago by markr

5.0 out of 5 stars Darren Clarke, An Open Book, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: An Open Book - My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on my kindle, so had it the day of publishing. I read the forward by Lee Westwood immediately and thought is he talking about Darren Clarke the golfer I saw win The Open. What I had imagined Darren to be like, was certainly different from the guy in this forward and therefore I read more. So much to say I read the whole book that day, I just couldn't put it down. It was so easy to read, well written and I would think very honest. It certainly made me realise I had assumed Darren to be quite different. If you are looking for a very detailed golf account of his matches then this is not the book for you. It is an autobiography from childhood to 2012, telling of his homelife in Dungannon, amateur golfer, turning pro, marriage to Heather and the struggles leading up to her tragic early death, Ryder cups, The Open and this years marriage on the beach to Alison. It is a great read, very interesting, some amusing bits and written in a manner that keeps the interest right to the end. I feel it was a great buy and I shall certainly see Darren in a different light now when I watch his golf.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 1 Nov. 2012
Having watched Darren play many times I had been waiting for this book for a few years, and it was well worth the wait!!.It is beautifully written and gives a very open and honest account of a complex man driven by the search for perfection.
Fantastic....will reread it many times!

3.0 out of 5 stars great tale - poorly ghost written, 20 Jun. 2013
markr - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Darren Clarke's victory at Royal St George's in 2011 was one of the most welcomed triumphs in modern golf, and this book recounts the tale of how he came to lift the claret jug, after suffering a period of severe form loss before the tournament. Aided by the sports phsycologist, Bob Rotella, Clarke found his form and went on to win the Open at this,his twentieth, attempt.

Darren Clarke has lived life to the full; fast cards, big houses, a private jet, and the very hard work he put in to improve his game leading to major championship and Ryder Cup triumphs all feature in this book. Life has certainly had its low moments too; the loss of his first wife to cancer and his struggle at times with his golf form are covered openly here too.

He comes across in these pages as nice guy too; honest - sometimes surpisingly so, and remarkably balanced given the enormous ups and downs which he has experienced in life.

Clarke has a great tale to tell, and has clearly tried to so with openness and honestly. It is just such a pity that the ghost writing is so poor that at times it distracts from the account. Full of cliches, banal comments, and journalese, this from time to time reads like a badly written tabloid article. It's a pity because the the tale Clarke has to tell deserved rather better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I Expected, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: An Open Book - My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
A disappointment, the section on the Ryder Cup was good, the rest was disjointed. With protestations that his drinking was not excessive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much depth or insight, 20 Dec. 2014
Having finished this book I didn't really feel I came away with anything I didn't know already.

We all watched the Ryder cup matches and we were all witness to his open victory. I personally didn't need a blow by blow description of golf I had already seen taking up a third of the book.

A few defensive remarks about boozing but no details. Tell us about some of the boozing sessions Darren I'm sure they would have made a more interesting read. Almost as if he was worried about his own kids reading this book so kept the tone very safe, clean, and above board. No gripes and no scandal here. Just thankyous to people who have helped him on his way.

One chapter which did delve deeper was 'Heather'. Quite an insight into a man dealing with the impending death of his wife. A shame the rest of the book did not have this depth and detail. But perhaps the rest of his life was understandably less significant from this perspective.

Who didn't he like on tour? Were there ever any on course 'incidents' with fellow pros, what was it like to become wealthy and famous, ??? Nothing. Nice and tame.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pro golfers life., 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: An Open Book - My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Great story telling what it is like to be playing at the top level of the game. Every golfers dream.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all there!, 17 Aug. 2013
Took this book on holiday. Thought it started strangely, then I realised it was missing the first 36 pages!! The rest of the book was ok though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: An Open Book - My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
thoroughly enjoyed reading it, always been a fan of Darren Clarke, reading this its easy to understand everything he's been through and a lot more than most golfers will ever do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darren Clarke, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: An Open Book - My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Interesting in sight into the life of a golfing great. Honest sometimes funny and humbling to learn of a sportsman and how he turned dreams into reality. Worth a read give it a go you will enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and I gave up half way through !, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: An Open Book - My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
My title sums up my feelings about this book. I'd been looking forward to reading it for some time and decided to treat myself to the Kindle edition as a Christmas present to myself. Well I wish I hadn't bothered. When compared to other biographical reads, this is poorly written and not overly insightful, other than Mr.Clarke seems to mention drink at every opportunity.

To be brutally honest, don't waste your money (unless this becomes a free download of course) or your time; read something about one of the game's true greats, like Bobby Jones or Seve.

An Open Book - My Autobiography