5.0 out of 5 stars Wales' greatest writer
I downloaded Knock 'Em Cold Kid, last night and finished it this morning. I wish I hadn't been so greedy and prolonged my pleasure by reading it in small "bites" but I simply couldn't stop turning the pages.
Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by K C Watkins

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing
Having read excerpts from the book in the local press i was looking forward to reading a nostalgic story of life in the welsh valleys.Unfortunately that was not the case It seems the most interesting parts of the book had already been printed in the press and the rest of the book was full of boring political facts and very little description of the ups and downs of welsh...
Published on 9 Nov. 2012 by jane austen

5.0 out of 5 stars Wales' greatest writer, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Knock 'Em Cold, Kid (Kindle Edition)
I've been enthralled by Elaine Morgan's TV plays and scientific books for years, introducing my children to them as soon as they were old enough. This book is a masterpiece for so many reasons. Her style is so easy to read, it feels as though you're sitting in an "easy" chair opposite her at a Welsh hearth housing a roaring coal fire, but don't let the simplicity of her delivery fool you. Her words linger in the mind and have a profound and questioning effect. They certainly led me to re-visit and re-evaluate some of the decisions I've made in life.
Her working class background is that of many and not just those who grew up in Pontypridd, the Valleys and Wales. Reading them, you will discover just how far we have drifted from the morality and conventions our parents and grandparents took for granted. Elaine Morgan is testament to just how far brilliant intellect and hard work can take an ambitious child, yet the book is the work of an overwhelmingly modest woman. I could write so much more about the gems that await the reader but I don't want to spoil the thrill of discovery.
In short this book is a masterpiece, Elaine Morgan's autobiography - with the history of Pontypridd and a long vanished era in Wales and the world thrown in for good measure.
I only hope it receives the recognition it deserves, and not just in Wales.
Am I biased - you bet I am. As a rebellious, bored, sixteen year old schoolgirl on the brink of leaving school a Speech Day address from Elaine Morgan (then at the height of her TV dramatist career) on life, ambition and dreams convinced me that I should stay on and aim for college. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting or thanking her for forty years. By then I had published a few books as Catrin Collier.
This admission should in no way detract from my review of Knock'em Cold Kid. Many have tried to emulate Elaine's writing, none have come close to touching her genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Knock 'em Cold, Kid (Paperback)
I only recently heard that Mrs Morgan had published her autobiography and immediately downloaded it. I was not disappointed. Not only is it written in an easy to read manner but it sheds light not only on the writer and her life but also on how Valleys folk lived in the 20s. The writer is very honest about herself and this was refreshing.I think it is a great illustration of social history. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested, not only in finding out about the writer but also about how life was for 'working' folk in the 20s & 30s. She is an inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elaine Morgan's Autobiography, 4 Jan. 2013
R. J. Wilson (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knock 'em Cold, Kid (Paperback)
I know that Elaine Morgan started writing this autobiographywhen 90 years old and not well. I hear her voice in the writing... the humour and intelligence.

I just wish there had been more. And more about "Falling Apart" which although written in 1979 was so perceptive, the scenarios she puts forward are being played in all countries all over the world. It should be required readfing for all economists and planners everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 9 Feb. 2014
Hominid (Here, There and Everywhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knock 'em Cold, Kid (Paperback)
This may well be the 1st biography I've read. I only did so because I recently re-read one of the kind of books I normally read; The Aquatic Ape and felt inclined to find out more about its unconventional author, Elaine Morgan.

I'm so glad I did. For one thing I discovered that Elaine grew up near my home town with a childhood that must have been very similar to my grandparents. For another, it presents Elaine as an honest, talented, sincere and genuine person and the world could do with more people like her. It made me wish that I could have met her and had the opportunity to spend an afternoon talking about her life and work.

There are many appropriate quotes from this book, but I think the one that sums her up best for me is her description of why she thought her future husband had asked her out for a coffee;

"I assumed his intention was to point out the errors of my thinking, and I'm always game to let anyone have a go at that if they're feeling lucky. Sometimes I'm wrong and they're right and then I've learned something"

A lovely book about the life of a great human being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, inspiring woman., 30 April 2013
J. Watts - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knock 'em Cold, Kid (Paperback)
Having been a fan of Elaine Morgan ever since I read "The Descent of Woman" ten years ago I was eager to read her autobiography.

I was not disappointed. It was a pleasure from start to finish, written in a down-to-earth conversational style with a lovely humour throughout, as if she is simply sitting across the table from you enjoying a cup of tea and a chat about the good old days.

What is remarkable throughout is her modesty. It is obvious that she is a person of incredible intelligence yet her style is self-deprecating and she never takes herself too seriously.

Apart from all the above it's fascinating as an historical document, from her roots in a coal mining town with all the hardship and hardy attitudes to her time being a housewife in post-war Britain.

In short, a lovely autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knock 'Em Cold kid, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Knock 'em Cold, Kid (Paperback)
As above about the Descent of the Child. A fascinating account of how our race probably learned to walk upright and lost our hair and grew more fat, illustrated by the development of the child in the womb and at the beginning of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Remarkable Story of a Remarkable Woman, 19 Feb. 2015
Ray V (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knock 'Em Cold, Kid (Kindle Edition)
A highly entertaining autobiography by a most remarkable person. Elaine Morgan came from a poor and troubled family and became a radical activist, a scriptwriter for several popular television dramas, a journalist, and then an iconoclastic and original writer of popular scientific books. Her utterly charming character (I met her only once) comes through in the way she tells her story. The title comes from what one of her neighbours in South Wales said as she set off, rather nervously, to study in Oxford. Elaine Morgan died a little while ago in her 90s, and we miss her.

5.0 out of 5 stars She really did knock them cold., 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Knock 'em Cold, Kid (Paperback)
Elaine Morgan has been my idol since i came across her wonderful account of the aquatic theory "The Descent of Woman" in the seventies.
It is now nice to read her own story of her life. Interesting about the twentieth century and the impact of two world wars on Britain and Wales i particular. Tells the story of the early BBC drama section. She is witty as ever and she really did knock them cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knocked me cold ,it did, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Knock 'Em Cold, Kid (Kindle Edition)
Extremely, enjoyable .One of the most readable biographies I have encountered .Elaine Morgan has lived a full and interesting life. The sort of person one would wish as a dinner companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating life story very well told., 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Knock 'Em Cold, Kid (Kindle Edition)
Elaine Morgan in telling her own story paints an authentic picture of life in 'The Valleys' of her day and throws light on a remarkable career.

Knock 'Em Cold, Kid