on 31 May 2014
This printer was brilliant for 5 months use but then developed problems with printhead/nozzles; one or other nozzle constantly blocked necessitating many printhead cleans using a lot of ink but not solving problem. Eventually contacted Amazon who immediately sent replacement and arranged for collection of faulty one so top marks for their policy. We will have to wait and see if the replacement is OK.
on 23 March 2014
This is my second all in one from Epson. I am very pleased with it compared to my previous one which was the 810. Printing is excellent and now it can be done on both sides when required. The scanner is also capable of double sided scanning, much faster and the document feeder is good. It works well with scanning software supplied free. We have a network with a number of wired and wireless computers. There are a variety of Windows operating systems on the computers but connecting them to the printer was easy in all cases. Air print from an iPad also workswell. Printing on suitable CD/DVD surfaces is very easy. The size of the unit is much smaller compared to my previous one. The output paper tray now motors out automatically which means that you don't need to be near the printer when you want to print. Only thing I don't understand is why you have to push it closed. The paper supply tray is reliable and feeds one page at a time which is much better than the previous model. The new inks are reliable and don't require to be cleaned if they have not been used for a few days.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2013
fabulous, took no time to install, and printed well with ipad, iphone etc, which is what we were looking for for my disabled brother.
on 14 January 2014
This is my second Epson xp850 in two months first one had to back for a refund (Amazon supplier brilliant on refund) The new one prints photos with good detail but does keep stopping when printing and you think its not going to carry on printing.As for the out tray keep coming before printing is annoying.Also you have take the paper loading tray out to load the paper before printing.
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2015
As awkward a printer to install as i have ever encountered and i have had a fair share. epson connect seems to be continually down and the scanning is just a non-starter occupation as far as this printer is concerned. add in silt to injury it even arrived withe the wrong power cable......its gone back!
on 30 November 2014
Even though I'd read a lot about this printer before spending the extra cash up front on it, I'm still discovering features that I didn't even think it had (let alone thought that I needed). Having had the Epson R300 for over 10 years, I knew if I went for an Epson again I couldn't go wrong, and this purchase proves it. Print quality is perfect on a good range of media, as expected. Speed is good to. Carefully select the output filetype when scanning as speed can vary tremendously between JPGs and PDFs. Network features are seamless as are the internet printing options from afar - it took me less than 10mins to set it all up on the Epson Connect website. As at least one of the other reviews mentions, the fact that the output tray and control panel don't close up on shutdown, but do open on printing is a bit of an oversight on Epson's part, but so unimportant in what is an amazing piece of kit.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2013
I did a lot of research before buying this printer, which was to replace an earlier Epson model. I had always been very satisfied with the quality of Epson for photo printing, so saw no reason to change makes. This one does it all and has not disappointed. Inks are always expensive, but the individual colours do make it a little more reasonable.
on 12 June 2014
The set up was very easy and it worked first time on a mac Airport network. The pc picked it up easily as well. Colour prints excellent and very fast. Paper changing trays are a bit complicated. Overall, an excellent printer, although it does seem to go through ink.
on 13 June 2014
The Epson XP-850 is a nice little compact printer but supplied software left something to be desired for Windows 8.1. It does all it says on the box and others have given reviews on it's function and the pro's and con's so won't go into details. The printer is a nice little printer with Autoduplexing (2 sided printing) 2 paper trays. One for plain paper up to A4 and one for photo paper plus a CD printing tray. Being so compact it took me a little while to find the photo 'cassette' tray so be warned the printer is very compact but nice looking and easy to use from the touch screen for basic functions. (Do read the manual first and get to know the printer parts. I was just a bit lazy initially hence the reason I have to go and look at the manual and then inspect the printer to find the Photo 'Cassette'!)
I am only giving 4 stars due to the software. Even though the software offers to go and get the latest driver, when the installer from the supplied CD starts setup, a problem seem to occur. I found that the software installed 2 copies of the printer software so in Devices and printers in Windows 8.1 two instances of the printer were visible although one was marked 'XP-850 Network'. The software seemed to work OK but then the connection to the printer was lost on my network and I'm not a novice when it comes to setting up printers/routers etc as I have several printers in the house along with several computers and built my own over the last 20 years or so. I uninstalled all the software with Revo uninstaller and then found there were some software leftovers. (normally Revo does a good job of getting rid of left overs but for some reason it failed with the left over Epson software) I had to manually delete those leftovers.
I reinstalled the software several times from the setup disk supplied with the XP-850 which I thought was for Windows 7 and 8.1 then had the same problem again after a couple of runs of the printer - losing network connection to it. So in desperation, in the end, I went to Epson and downloaded the drivers and accompanying software individually specified for Windows 8.1 64 bit. I installed the driver and used the manual network setup (The printer was already set up with an IP address which I did manually using the printer touch screen wireless setup to connect to my Belkin router.) That installed OK and found I only had one instance of the printer in my devices and printers in Windows 8.1. Installing the separate driver from Epson could confuse novice users as it asks for the printer to be connected via a USB cable, which is not necessary if you use the Wireless setup on you printer to connect to your router initially. Just choose the 'manual setup' and the printer IP address should be found. Pity Epson couldn't make that a bit simpler for novice users. I then installed the other individual software files for Windows 8.1 which I had downloaded and Hey Presto the printer seems to be functioning correctly or should I say the software is functioning correctly. One can install the extra software from the original software disk manually by opening the disk in Computer and opening the Apps folder to get the extras. This seemed to install OK. Printer still functioning over Network OK. But as for the WSD driver with which one can scan/print etc from the printer touch screen this I found unreliable. It states it has installed A WSD driver in the printer properties/port but for some reason it's not working as it should. (I have a Brother printer that communicates with a WSD driver with the computer with no problem when using the touchscreen on that printer.) I personally think that Epson need to do a bit more work on the Windows 8/8.1 drivers to clear the bugs in the software. I shall be contacting Epson in due course over this as I took out an extended warranty on this printer and have only recently purchased it. I suggest that if you buy this printer which is a good little printer for it's price and has performed flawlessly in its main functions in printing, the software does need some of the bugs ironing out. I have checked this printer on Windows 7 too and I had to install a separate WSD driver to get the software to communicate from printer to computer but the supplied software worked OK for normal printing/scanning from the computer to the printer. I had a similar software problem with my Epson PX-810FW printer but I expected that with updated Windows 8.1 as the printer was a few years old. But I did not expect that with a new printer which I understood was for Windows 8.1. So be warned and download drivers for Windows 8/8.1 directly from Epson. My advice is not to use the supplied setup disk. From the American Epson site one can download a complete software suite for Windows 8.1 but not from the UK site. Strange? In summary the printer is really good and gives good performance on photos and standard printing. OK the output tray doesn't retract automatically when the printer goes to sleep so one must remember to do that as the output tray does stick out quite a way. But that is just a minor thing as the output tray pushes back in manually. Maybe Epson will 'upgrade' that in the next model. I'd recommend this printer for a home printer and also a home network printer but for Windows 8.1 users don't use the supplied setup disk download the drivers from Epson. The printer I'll give 5 stars for but the software only 4 stars at a push.
on 18 June 2015
Don't even bother with this item, terrible. i had trouble with the first printer (wifi function not working) Spent 6 hours on the phone to Epson, tried everything, was faulty….Got another of the same printer as a replacement for the faulty one, then that didn't recognise any genuine inks and wouldn't work either. Sent them both back eventually after 3 months of trying to get a printer that doesn't have a problem, eventually got a refund
but i am still without a printer and a very unhappy customer of this item and how things were handled with the party behind the product
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

null
Genuine Ink Cartridges From $8,99. Free shipping & 100 % Quality!
Photo Printers & More. Fast & Free Delivery On Orders!
Buy Compatible Artisan 710 Ink. Pay As Low As $5.99 Per Cartridge!