4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly, but not quite....
Published on 24 Jan. 2013 by Karvala

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst customer service ever
Published 9 months ago by Breadstick

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly, but not quite...., 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing (Accessory)
I did a ton of research on the various makes and models available before finally opting for this machine. As well as good quality output, I wanted as many as I could of the following features: (a) wireless; (b) duplex/double-sided (preferably both printing and scanning with an ADR); (c) colour; (d) multi-function (i.e. scan and copy as well). It is not possible to get a laser printer with all or even half of those features at this price point, and as it turns out, the running costs of laser printers are not quite as cheap as is often thought, so I opted for this inkjet instead.

So far, this has proved to be a good choice. Good features:-

(1) Well specified. This machine really does have it all - decent scanner, decent printer, copying facility, fax facility, duplex printing, colour, automatic document feeder (30 sheets), good size paper tray (250 sheets), alternative media (e.g. ID cards) tray (1 sheet). All is present, and all works well.

(2) Good print quality. I was pleasantly surprised when I printed my first page of black text at how crisp it was, without any form of blurring, artefacts, smudges or similar things that used to be synonymous with inkjet printers. Instead, it was almost indistinguishable from laser printer output, even on standard quality. Colour printing is also good, though the colours are perhaps slightly washed out when photocopying.

(3) Decent speed. Not the fastest machine around, perhaps, but churns out prints and copies at standard quality (i.e. not just draft mode) at a very respectable speed.

(4) Cheap running costs. This was one of the selling points to me: even using Epson original inks, this works out at something like 2p per page at 5% (ISO standard) coverage. That is much cheaper than comparable machines (e.g. the Canon Pixma) range, and is simply because this takes much larger capacity cartridges (XL size gives around 1000 pages per cartridge). Even better, there are perfectly good compatible cartridges around: a decent black XL cartridge with 1000-page capacity can be had from a number of places for as little as £6.95, giving a cost per page of £0.007! Colour cartridges come in similar sizes and prices, meaning that you'll never need to be pay more than 1p per sheet, B&W or colour. Laser printers at this price point are 4-5 times more expensive than this for replacement black toner, and even more for colour.

Bad Features:-

(1) Scan to PC is notoriously unreliable. There are quite a lot of ways of getting the scanner output to your machine: you can scan to external media such as a Flash drive which can be accessed wirelessly as a network drive, you can scan and send documents to a cloud service such as Google drive, and these work absolutely fine. You can also trigger the scan from the PC using the Epson scan software, in which case you can have it sent wirelessly directly to the PC as well. The only thing that generally doesn't work is choosing to scan to the PC using the menu on the machine. I have three machines on the same network, with exactly the same software/drive installation, exactly the same configuration in terms of network sharing and firewall settings, but using this last method only one of them is visible to the scanner, and this appears to randomly come and go. The other two are clearly able to communicate with the scanner because sending it instructions from the PC for printing/scanning etc. works fine; it's purely triggering it from the scanner the fails. This is a widely reported problem which looks like some sort of unknown compatibility or application problem. For most users, this won't matter at all; typically you would either trigger a scan from the PC (where you have more settings available anyway), or you would trigger it from the scanner and send it to a flash drive or cloud service. I have deducted one star for this, however, because it is clearly some sort of problem at Epson's end which they don't seem too bothered about. It wouldn't stop me buying the machine again, however.

All-in-all, a cost-effective solution for almost any printing/scanning/copying situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the editors choice for no reason, 1 Dec. 2013
I was looking for an all-in-one printer for quite some time and since I've been hearing a thing or two that goes wrong about every manufacturerr there is I went for the best selling items on amazon and I must say that the customers were right.
The printer arrived very very fast although I live in Slovenia the package arrived in 4 days. The packaging was good anf the printer was intact and I immediately went to work and put the printer to work.
The installation couldn't be any simpler. Just plug it in add the printer on your computer, choose the model in the installation screen and it is done. I didn't even use the cd that came with the printer.
Now the facts:
- paper tray is very good and solid, reminds me of much larger copy machines that you find in big firms
- the copier is very good, although it takes couple of seconds to copy the A4 page it is very well made and quality is also good
- I printed around 100 pages of power point presentation in color, black and white and in gray scales and it did that on auto duplex with no problem and it took about 5 minutes to do it.
- connection with wi-fi is easy and user interface on the printer is easy to understand and to use. There are a lot of options that you can choose from and a lot of things to modify on the printer and are too many to write them all

I admit there are still a lot of things that a printer can do and I didn't try them yet but until now I can say that the printer certainly met all my expectations.
I will post some update on the printer when I try to use remanufactured ink cartridges and see how that will work but until then thumbs up for a solid desing and nice quality print.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Serves My Purposes Well and is Reasonably Priced, 14 Dec. 2013
Andrew McCann (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
An HP Officejet Pro had been my printer/scanner for domestic use for the past five years and although it originally served my purposes appropriately, it was not serving my current requirements particularly well.

The main reason for this was that I now prefer to store most of my documents digitally; printing only when absolutely necessary. For photographic purposes I use online photographic facilities, as I find these to be both cost-effective and efficient in terms of the purposes for which I use them.

The main problem with the HP was that it performed lengthy print head cleaning cycles each time it was switched on. These not only took a fair amount of time to complete, but also involved the use of ink; thus making it expensive for the occasional user, such as myself, as the amount of ink I was getting through did not justify the number of printouts. (However it would probably prove more cost-effective for the business user, who would be more inclined to leave the printer switched on for much of the day and be printing regularly during that time.)

An extensive search of printer/scanner options led me to the Epson Workforce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer.

It must be said that I was hesitant to consider it at first, as before the HP I had owned an Epson Stylus printer/scanner which I had been obliged to discard, when it had eventually refused to accept authentic Epson cartridges.

However on the basis of having studied reviews in technical publications and on Amazon, I was of the impression that this particular Epson would meet my current requirements and hopefully, that with the passage of time, past issues with cartridges would by now have been addressed. (Only time will tell whether or not this situation still exists and in the event that it does, I will modify this review accordingly.)

Amazon's price for the Epson Workforce WF-3520DWF was the best available and represents the lowest price I have ever paid for a printer (in over twenty-five years of having purchased them) and with the greatest accessible facilities. It also takes up far less desk space than the HP Officejet and is sturdy and although heavy has a robust quality to it.

The Epson proved very easy indeed to set up following connecting via USB to my PC and then the setting up of a wireless connection to my BT Infinity 2 router.

Once the printer had completed the initialisation process (which took about five minutes) it was up and running and from then onwards would initiate almost immediately at the touch of the on/off button.

Several sheets can be scanned one after the other and on both sides without a requirement for user intervention and equally duplex printing (i.e. printing on both sides of the paper) is also available without a requirement to physically turn the paper over.

Regarding the use of portable wireless devices, I use a Kindle Fire HD (in much the same way as I used to use a laptop) to create Word documents using OfficeSuite Professional 7 (an Amazon Store app) and have found it very easy indeed to print Kindle documents wirelessly from the Epson (via the PrinterShare app (also from Amazon)).

It is early days yet in terms of my experience with this printer/scanner, but I hope that my review will assist those using it in similar circumstances to myself. However as I extend my usage, I will add to this review accordingly.

To conclude, at this point in time, I would rate this as a five star acquisition, as it has met my circumstances perfectly, has proved to be free of any evident technological or software-based issues that might prove to be an impediment to its performance, was reasonably priced and consequently represents good value for money.

In the event that problems or deficiencies do occur in the future, I shall amend my rating accordingly, so watch this space, if you have found my review helpful.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic printer with great functionality at a really great price!, 15 May 2013
I got this printer to replace an HP inkjet machine that we've had for over 6 years. I've always seemed to gravitate towards HP and have never had any major problems. So, going for an Epson seemed like a bit of a leap of faith. However, I've been very impressed with this machine so far and it has worked perfectly.

It's a bit a big size-wise (it goes back quite a way), but as the paper feeder sits under the machine, you can just chuck 250 pages in there and forget about it. The setup was very straightforward - it managed to find my wireless router and get connected (via my PC to setup permissions and access). After that, everything was a breeze.

My main requirement was wireless printing, and this works without any problems. At the moment, I have my Windows laptop, a MacBook, two iPhones, an iPad and a Nexus 7 all connected to it, and each works perfectly - doing both normal and duplexed prints. The machine also has its own email address which is connected to the Epson cloud printing service, so even if you're away from home you can send a job to the device; if it's switched on it will print straight away, otherwise it's held as a job on their server until the machine is next switched on. It can also apparently use Google cloud print, but I've not been able to get this working properly; this isn't really a problem for me, as everything else works perfectly, and there's no other function I really need it do that would require the need of the Google services.

Print quality is generally pretty good - I use the standard print setting (rather than high-quality), which has been fine for documents, presentations and spreadsheets. Speed is good as well, not quite up to a laser printer speed, but a double-sided page probably takes about 10-15 seconds depending on page complexity. A nice feature of the printouts is that they don't seem as susceptible to smearing if you want to use a highlighter (which as a perennial problem with the HP printouts).

What surprised me was being able to wirless scanning as well (though with hindsight this seems pretty obvious) - I had thought I would need to connect via the USB to do this, or do some complicated thing like sticking an SD card in the machine and setting it up as a network drive. But, it was so much easier than that- just stick a page in the scanner and I could scan to either of the laptops or to one of the portable devices. Once scanned, the document can be saved as an image, copied, emailed... whatever you want to do.

The one function I've not tested is the fax capability, but that's not something I'll really ever need to do.

Overall, in the month or so I've had this machine, I've been incredibly impressed. It's worked seamlessly with a range of devices and hasn't thrown up any problems. I'm not sure how ink hungry it is, but as it uses separate cartridges for black and the three colours, it should be relatively easy to regulate (and there's high capacity cartridges as well to be a bit more economical).

Definitely recommend this printer!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Product and function is excellent. Getting it to work via Wi-fi; not so straight forward, 12 Jan. 2014
I'm not going to go into a long winded review detailing the printer and all it can offer, the specification and description above does that, but needless to say it's a great printer.

The biggest draw for me was the double sided scanning/printing and the ability to print over Wi-fi.

First off the double sided scanning and printing works like a dream and saves so much paper so no complaints there.

The biggest problem I had with this printer - at least initially - is with the setting up of the Wi-fi. First of all, the quick setup and basic setup guides offer no help on this at all, merely how to set up using USB. So I thought I'd try this on my own but seeing as a few other reviewers on here have had trouble setting up using the installation CD I decided to use the web install. All was well up until it tried to detect the printer and....then the software crashed with the error "Epson Install Navi for X86 has stopped working", leaving no option but to close the software down, with no way to start it up again without reinstalling, only for the same error to occur. At this point I referred to the Epson documentation but it was no help at all. Even going through a Google search showed nothing other than a possible problem with my Windows Installer (I use Windows 7 32bit, service pack 1). After numerous tutorials I still wasn't able to detect the printer and the Epson software again kept crashing so I decided to set it up via USB just so I could use it.

After trying out many different routes but to no avail I decided to try to scan for the printer manually by simply clicking on the Start button on the taskbar, followed by Devices and Printers. From here I clicked on Add A Device and as if by magic my computer managed to find it all by itself! I selected it and allowed it to install the drivers I had previously installed. Since then it's worked like a charm. I also used this method on another desktop PC and a laptop (all running Windows 7, and all failed when using the Epson software when trying to scan for the printer) and it worked flawlessly on each machine.

Now that I have got it set up on my wireless network and printing from numerous machines I am very happy but unfortunately I can't give this the full five stars due to Epson's pretty terrible documentation, meaning I had to discover the solution for myself.

One more thing, the Epson Scan software seems to work independently of the printer drivers and as such scanning over the Wi-fi network needs to be configured separately but this is something else that is not detailed in the printer manuals and again I had to stumble across the solution myself.

The solution is to simply start up the Epson Scan Settings application from the Start Menu. From there you must change the connection from local to network and then click on Add. It will scan for the printer's IP address and once found you can select this and then test so make sure there is a connection across your network. You will now be able scan and send your files wirelessly to any device that is connected to your printer at the time. Please note you only need to do this if you are intending to scan using Wi-fi. If you are using a USB connection then keep the setting to Local.

I know this was long winded but I just wanted to share my experiences with you all out there and to say that the printer itself is excellent but Wi-fi setup is not as straight forward as it could have been. I hope this helps :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst customer service ever, 16 Sept. 2014
Printer head broke after 40 days. Tried every tip and trick possible but it refuses to print properly - after only printing about 50 pages before it broke. Amazon won't take it as a return (it is just outside of 30 day window) and Epson doesn't want to know. Worst customer service ever. Whatever happened to Manufacturers Warranty? Do not buy this printer - there are better ones for the same price.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow but feature packed, 25 Sept. 2013
Looking for a replacement for an occasional printer with wireless capabilities.

DON'T EXPECT TO BE BOWLED OVER BY THE OUTPUT. Printing quality can be described as "acceptable" at best and is also pretty slow compared to some other printers, particularly at the higher quality.

However wired/wireless support, full duplex, automated document feeder (ADF) with double-sided scan, scan to PDF etc.

THIS IS ONE HELL OF A FEATURE PACKED PRINTER FOR THE PRICE !!!

OK, so a 16 pages of double sided document with graphics (16 pages) takes 2 minutes to scan to PDF. However just to be able to do that is amazing. To be able to do that simply by loading the ADF tray and without touching the printer again... pretty impressive even if the print quality is mediocre.

------Update
If you are using Windows 8 RT devices to print wirelessly you may struggle. I have gotten it to work with the "Epsom ESC/P-R V4 Class Driver" which seems to work for basic printing but removes all the printing options and features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best print quality, but good all in one, 26 Dec. 2012
Bought this to replace an aging HP all in one. The text print quality on this is pretty rough draft mode and passable in fine (although you lose speed). Overall print quality on the HP was better, so if that's your primary aim then give this a pass.

The Epson makes up for it with a much better scanner - duplex ADF for double sided document scanning is a real bonus. Plus the Epson wakes up much faster and with less drama (it doesn't constantly need to run cleaning cycles every time you power it on) and it's easy to setup and run over wifi.

Overall a capable all in one, with a good scanner and passable (but not great) printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little wireless printer/scanner, 26 Jan. 2014
Bought this to replace an HP printer scanner that was causing all kinds of problems.
I did a lot of research into getting the most flexible and useful device for the money.
Besides the obvious workings, the wireless works seamlessly with my PC, and a Nexus and IPad tablet. The scanner does paper handling, so no need to scan pages sheet by sheet. Printed out a few photos and they are pretty good too.
Paper tray could be larger. Even handles US paper sizes. Double sided printing you would not believe works, but it does. Rear paper slot prints envelopes if your into that.
All kinds of software included. One can print to an email address from anywhere - and it pops out here. Cool.
It's a great little thing, not just because of the 'features' I mention above, but an all round good neat printer for nearly no money.
Recommended by me !

Downside: Once registered Epson bombard you with emails about buying genuine ink - which I do already!
Spam filter that, and be as happy as me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Printer, 2 Aug. 2013
Martin Rayner (UK) - See all my reviews
I was a bit concerned when I read some reviews saying that it keeps disconnecting from wireless networks. The instructions are brief, but to the point. I followed the paper instructions, then followed by the instructions on the CD. Everything went well, although it does take some time to set up. I think that this is because it automatically downloads the latest version of the software, which is quite a large download. The printer works great, and has never disconnected once from my network.