4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly, but not quite....
Published 18 months ago by Karvala

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice little printer
Had problems with the "auto" wifi configure feature. Product appeared to try and set up it's own hotspot/network and disconnected me from my wifi network.
I was able to restart and manually connect the device using the LED panel.
Scans well. Prints well. Epson registration was hopeless as was there support service.

The printer randomly goes "offline"...
Published 13 months ago by Paul

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly, but not quite...., 24 Jan 2013
Karvala - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Epson WorkForce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer with Double-sided Printing (Accessory)
I did a ton of research on the various makes and models available before finally opting for this machine. As well as good quality output, I wanted as many as I could of the following features: (a) wireless; (b) duplex/double-sided (preferably both printing and scanning with an ADR); (c) colour; (d) multi-function (i.e. scan and copy as well). It is not possible to get a laser printer with all or even half of those features at this price point, and as it turns out, the running costs of laser printers are not quite as cheap as is often thought, so I opted for this inkjet instead.

So far, this has proved to be a good choice. Good features:-

(1) Well specified. This machine really does have it all - decent scanner, decent printer, copying facility, fax facility, duplex printing, colour, automatic document feeder (30 sheets), good size paper tray (250 sheets), alternative media (e.g. ID cards) tray (1 sheet). All is present, and all works well.

(2) Good print quality. I was pleasantly surprised when I printed my first page of black text at how crisp it was, without any form of blurring, artefacts, smudges or similar things that used to be synonymous with inkjet printers. Instead, it was almost indistinguishable from laser printer output, even on standard quality. Colour printing is also good, though the colours are perhaps slightly washed out when photocopying.

(3) Decent speed. Not the fastest machine around, perhaps, but churns out prints and copies at standard quality (i.e. not just draft mode) at a very respectable speed.

(4) Cheap running costs. This was one of the selling points to me: even using Epson original inks, this works out at something like 2p per page at 5% (ISO standard) coverage. That is much cheaper than comparable machines (e.g. the Canon Pixma) range, and is simply because this takes much larger capacity cartridges (XL size gives around 1000 pages per cartridge). Even better, there are perfectly good compatible cartridges around: a decent black XL cartridge with 1000-page capacity can be had from a number of places for as little as 6.95, giving a cost per page of 0.007! Colour cartridges come in similar sizes and prices, meaning that you'll never need to be pay more than 1p per sheet, B&W or colour. Laser printers at this price point are 4-5 times more expensive than this for replacement black toner, and even more for colour.

Bad Features:-

(1) Scan to PC is notoriously unreliable. There are quite a lot of ways of getting the scanner output to your machine: you can scan to external media such as a Flash drive which can be accessed wirelessly as a network drive, you can scan and send documents to a cloud service such as Google drive, and these work absolutely fine. You can also trigger the scan from the PC using the Epson scan software, in which case you can have it sent wirelessly directly to the PC as well. The only thing that generally doesn't work is choosing to scan to the PC using the menu on the machine. I have three machines on the same network, with exactly the same software/drive installation, exactly the same configuration in terms of network sharing and firewall settings, but using this last method only one of them is visible to the scanner, and this appears to randomly come and go. The other two are clearly able to communicate with the scanner because sending it instructions from the PC for printing/scanning etc. works fine; it's purely triggering it from the scanner the fails. This is a widely reported problem which looks like some sort of unknown compatibility or application problem. For most users, this won't matter at all; typically you would either trigger a scan from the PC (where you have more settings available anyway), or you would trigger it from the scanner and send it to a flash drive or cloud service. I have deducted one star for this, however, because it is clearly some sort of problem at Epson's end which they don't seem too bothered about. It wouldn't stop me buying the machine again, however.

All-in-all, a cost-effective solution for almost any printing/scanning/copying situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the editors choice for no reason, 1 Dec 2013
I was looking for an all-in-one printer for quite some time and since I've been hearing a thing or two that goes wrong about every manufacturerr there is I went for the best selling items on amazon and I must say that the customers were right.
The printer arrived very very fast although I live in Slovenia the package arrived in 4 days. The packaging was good anf the printer was intact and I immediately went to work and put the printer to work.
The installation couldn't be any simpler. Just plug it in add the printer on your computer, choose the model in the installation screen and it is done. I didn't even use the cd that came with the printer.
Now the facts:
- paper tray is very good and solid, reminds me of much larger copy machines that you find in big firms
- the copier is very good, although it takes couple of seconds to copy the A4 page it is very well made and quality is also good
- I printed around 100 pages of power point presentation in color, black and white and in gray scales and it did that on auto duplex with no problem and it took about 5 minutes to do it.
- connection with wi-fi is easy and user interface on the printer is easy to understand and to use. There are a lot of options that you can choose from and a lot of things to modify on the printer and are too many to write them all

I admit there are still a lot of things that a printer can do and I didn't try them yet but until now I can say that the printer certainly met all my expectations.
I will post some update on the printer when I try to use remanufactured ink cartridges and see how that will work but until then thumbs up for a solid desing and nice quality print.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Serves My Purposes Well and is Reasonably Priced, 14 Dec 2013
Andrew McCann (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
An HP Officejet Pro had been my printer/scanner for domestic use for the past five years and although it originally served my purposes appropriately, it was not serving my current requirements particularly well.

The main reason for this was that I now prefer to store most of my documents digitally; printing only when absolutely necessary. For photographic purposes I use online photographic facilities, as I find these to be both cost-effective and efficient in terms of the purposes for which I use them.

The main problem with the HP was that it performed lengthy print head cleaning cycles each time it was switched on. These not only took a fair amount of time to complete, but also involved the use of ink; thus making it expensive for the occasional user, such as myself, as the amount of ink I was getting through did not justify the number of printouts. (However it would probably prove more cost-effective for the business user, who would be more inclined to leave the printer switched on for much of the day and be printing regularly during that time.)

An extensive search of printer/scanner options led me to the Epson Workforce WF-3520DWF 4-in-1 Printer.

It must be said that I was hesitant to consider it at first, as before the HP I had owned an Epson Stylus printer/scanner which I had been obliged to discard, when it had eventually refused to accept authentic Epson cartridges.

However on the basis of having studied reviews in technical publications and on Amazon, I was of the impression that this particular Epson would meet my current requirements and hopefully, that with the passage of time, past issues with cartridges would by now have been addressed. (Only time will tell whether or not this situation still exists and in the event that it does, I will modify this review accordingly.)

Amazon's price for the Epson Workforce WF-3520DWF was the best available and represents the lowest price I have ever paid for a printer (in over twenty-five years of having purchased them) and with the greatest accessible facilities. It also takes up far less desk space than the HP Officejet and is sturdy and although heavy has a robust quality to it.

The Epson proved very easy indeed to set up following connecting via USB to my PC and then the setting up of a wireless connection to my BT Infinity 2 router.

Once the printer had completed the initialisation process (which took about five minutes) it was up and running and from then onwards would initiate almost immediately at the touch of the on/off button.

Several sheets can be scanned one after the other and on both sides without a requirement for user intervention and equally duplex printing (i.e. printing on both sides of the paper) is also available without a requirement to physically turn the paper over.

Regarding the use of portable wireless devices, I use a Kindle Fire HD (in much the same way as I used to use a laptop) to create Word documents using OfficeSuite Professional 7 (an Amazon Store app) and have found it very easy indeed to print Kindle documents wirelessly from the Epson (via the PrinterShare app (also from Amazon)).

It is early days yet in terms of my experience with this printer/scanner, but I hope that my review will assist those using it in similar circumstances to myself. However as I extend my usage, I will add to this review accordingly.

To conclude, at this point in time, I would rate this as a five star acquisition, as it has met my circumstances perfectly, has proved to be free of any evident technological or software-based issues that might prove to be an impediment to its performance, was reasonably priced and consequently represents good value for money.

In the event that problems or deficiencies do occur in the future, I shall amend my rating accordingly, so watch this space, if you have found my review helpful.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic printer with great functionality at a really great price!, 15 May 2013
I got this printer to replace an HP inkjet machine that we've had for over 6 years. I've always seemed to gravitate towards HP and have never had any major problems. So, going for an Epson seemed like a bit of a leap of faith. However, I've been very impressed with this machine so far and it has worked perfectly.

It's a bit a big size-wise (it goes back quite a way), but as the paper feeder sits under the machine, you can just chuck 250 pages in there and forget about it. The setup was very straightforward - it managed to find my wireless router and get connected (via my PC to setup permissions and access). After that, everything was a breeze.

My main requirement was wireless printing, and this works without any problems. At the moment, I have my Windows laptop, a MacBook, two iPhones, an iPad and a Nexus 7 all connected to it, and each works perfectly - doing both normal and duplexed prints. The machine also has its own email address which is connected to the Epson cloud printing service, so even if you're away from home you can send a job to the device; if it's switched on it will print straight away, otherwise it's held as a job on their server until the machine is next switched on. It can also apparently use Google cloud print, but I've not been able to get this working properly; this isn't really a problem for me, as everything else works perfectly, and there's no other function I really need it do that would require the need of the Google services.

Print quality is generally pretty good - I use the standard print setting (rather than high-quality), which has been fine for documents, presentations and spreadsheets. Speed is good as well, not quite up to a laser printer speed, but a double-sided page probably takes about 10-15 seconds depending on page complexity. A nice feature of the printouts is that they don't seem as susceptible to smearing if you want to use a highlighter (which as a perennial problem with the HP printouts).

What surprised me was being able to wirless scanning as well (though with hindsight this seems pretty obvious) - I had thought I would need to connect via the USB to do this, or do some complicated thing like sticking an SD card in the machine and setting it up as a network drive. But, it was so much easier than that- just stick a page in the scanner and I could scan to either of the laptops or to one of the portable devices. Once scanned, the document can be saved as an image, copied, emailed... whatever you want to do.

The one function I've not tested is the fax capability, but that's not something I'll really ever need to do.

Overall, in the month or so I've had this machine, I've been incredibly impressed. It's worked seamlessly with a range of devices and hasn't thrown up any problems. I'm not sure how ink hungry it is, but as it uses separate cartridges for black and the three colours, it should be relatively easy to regulate (and there's high capacity cartridges as well to be a bit more economical).

Definitely recommend this printer!!

4.0 out of 5 stars good all-rounder, 9 April 2013
Having started up my own company, I needed something which was (almost) all things to all men, whilst not being too big. This printer fits the bill perfectly, and with the ability to do double sided printing, it also saves paper. The feed on the top is also great when scanning a few documents. The wireless functionality can be a little hit and miss and i've waited quite a few minutes before my mac has been able to find the printer, and the printing is not terribly crisp, which is why it only gets 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best print quality, but good all in one, 26 Dec 2012
Bought this to replace an aging HP all in one. The text print quality on this is pretty rough draft mode and passable in fine (although you lose speed). Overall print quality on the HP was better, so if that's your primary aim then give this a pass.

The Epson makes up for it with a much better scanner - duplex ADF for double sided document scanning is a real bonus. Plus the Epson wakes up much faster and with less drama (it doesn't constantly need to run cleaning cycles every time you power it on) and it's easy to setup and run over wifi.

Overall a capable all in one, with a good scanner and passable (but not great) printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Product and function is excellent. Getting it to work via Wi-fi; not so straight forward, 12 Jan 2014
I'm not going to go into a long winded review detailing the printer and all it can offer, the specification and description above does that, but needless to say it's a great printer.

The biggest draw for me was the double sided scanning/printing and the ability to print over Wi-fi.

First off the double sided scanning and printing works like a dream and saves so much paper so no complaints there.

The biggest problem I had with this printer - at least initially - is with the setting up of the Wi-fi. First of all, the quick setup and basic setup guides offer no help on this at all, merely how to set up using USB. So I thought I'd try this on my own but seeing as a few other reviewers on here have had trouble setting up using the installation CD I decided to use the web install. All was well up until it tried to detect the printer and....then the software crashed with the error "Epson Install Navi for X86 has stopped working", leaving no option but to close the software down, with no way to start it up again without reinstalling, only for the same error to occur. At this point I referred to the Epson documentation but it was no help at all. Even going through a Google search showed nothing other than a possible problem with my Windows Installer (I use Windows 7 32bit, service pack 1). After numerous tutorials I still wasn't able to detect the printer and the Epson software again kept crashing so I decided to set it up via USB just so I could use it.

After trying out many different routes but to no avail I decided to try to scan for the printer manually by simply clicking on the Start button on the taskbar, followed by Devices and Printers. From here I clicked on Add A Device and as if by magic my computer managed to find it all by itself! I selected it and allowed it to install the drivers I had previously installed. Since then it's worked like a charm. I also used this method on another desktop PC and a laptop (all running Windows 7, and all failed when using the Epson software when trying to scan for the printer) and it worked flawlessly on each machine.

Now that I have got it set up on my wireless network and printing from numerous machines I am very happy but unfortunately I can't give this the full five stars due to Epson's pretty terrible documentation, meaning I had to discover the solution for myself.

One more thing, the Epson Scan software seems to work independently of the printer drivers and as such scanning over the Wi-fi network needs to be configured separately but this is something else that is not detailed in the printer manuals and again I had to stumble across the solution myself.

The solution is to simply start up the Epson Scan Settings application from the Start Menu. From there you must change the connection from local to network and then click on Add. It will scan for the printer's IP address and once found you can select this and then test so make sure there is a connection across your network. You will now be able scan and send your files wirelessly to any device that is connected to your printer at the time. Please note you only need to do this if you are intending to scan using Wi-fi. If you are using a USB connection then keep the setting to Local.

I know this was long winded but I just wanted to share my experiences with you all out there and to say that the printer itself is excellent but Wi-fi setup is not as straight forward as it could have been. I hope this helps :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to Set-up, but well worth the effort., 3 May 2013
Setting up (with firmware updates) takes a fair amount of time, but when set-up the effort is well worth it.
Print quality is good and output is quick. Wifi was easy to setup and my Macbook prints very well remotely. No driver or installation required on MB. Also set up wifi printing on a Linux (Ubuntu) Netbook without any problems, all necessary drivers are downloaded and installed during setup.
A frustration mentioned in a couple of reviews are that when the printer goes into sleep mode it can not be woken up by a wifi print
There is however a work around to wake the printer up remotely. This is probably only worth doing if you are located on a different floor to your printer otherwise it's as easy to press the button:-
Simply send the printer an email via the Epson Connect email address and this wakes the printer up. Then you can print over wifi without having to visit the machine.
Haven't used fax (probably never will).
After a firmware update, it appears the printer will now wake on a wifi so the above work around my not be necessary.

I'd definitely recommend this all-in-one printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant printer, so easy to set up, 13 Feb 2014
S. Prior (uk) - See all my reviews
I spent some time looking for a new printer to meet all my family's and my small business requirements.

I narrowed it down to three printers of different brands but the Epson had the cheapest refills and ability to use 4XL capacity. I read quite a few of the reviews including the one star bad reports.

I don't agree with any of the bad reports. I installed the printer using the supplied instal CD and opted to take all the January 2014 firmware and software updates. This took about 20 mins to instal. But that was all I had to do other than manually search my wi-fi and enter the pass code for the router.

I was pleased to see the printer working with my Dell desktop, and my Sony Vaio laptop, all my families iPhone 4, 4s and 5 model. Even my iPad 2 worked. Non of these required additional set up either on the printer or on the phones or pad. Plus all of these could wake up the printer for direct printing even after it had gone to sleep.

All the PCs, smartphones and iPad all had the choice to double side print without going to the printer to change any local settings. You may need to buy a USB A-B cable, but the one on my old Lexmark fitted perfectly.

We'll done Epson for producing such a great product. We'll done Amazon for selling this All-in-One printer for less than 100. Epson are even offering 20 cash back so I will only end up paying under 80, incredible.

I hope this review assists you in your choice of printer. I think the Epson's January 2014 software and firmware updates must have cured all the problems earlier buyers had experienced. I also found the documentation and software disc easy to understand and they offered me much more options that I required.

Note: I don't and never have worked for Epson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, once you get it working, 7 Jan 2014
I was looking for a printer to replace my Canon iP4200 which had just stopped working. My requirements were for a printer that had separate and decent sized ink cartridges (which ruled out getting another Canon), had auto duplex printing, gave reasonable photo printing (to 6" x 4" paper) and had AirPrint for my iPad. This seemed one of the few that fitted the bill.
It performs well for me in standard printing and for photo printing. Quality about the same as my old Canon. Further more it is quicker. So all good on that front and I'm happy with its performance.
One disappointment is that you can't load 6" x 4" photo paper from the rear feed tray so you have to remove the paper from the front casette and load it there; inconvenient if you do a lot of mixed printing as I do!

However getting it installed was terrible (as others have found). All I got was an error message that "installation failed" and that was that. Indeed if my son (a software engineer) hadn't been with us over Christmas I doubt I would have got it working at all and it would have gone back to Amazon. The one thing that did happen was that the printer registered itself with my wi-fi. However even trying using the standard Windows printer set up failed to reveal it to the rest of the network. We only got it working by spotting its IP and MAC adress on the printer LCD screen and setting everything up manually; reserving the IP adress for the printer in my router settings. Getting AirPrint to work was similarly hit and miss but finally we did it.
So in conclusion, if you can get this to set itself up, I think you'll be happy with it, but be prepared for problems during set up! By the way, the Epson manual (including the online stuff) is useless in sorting out any problems!