5.0 out of 5 stars Good solution for extra storage
This item works very well, and allows us to take our entire iTunes video library with us, as well as providing a means to backup iPhone content while out and about. The free IOS app works well on an iPhone 4 (running IOS5) and an iPhone 4S (running IOS6). I haven't experienced any crashes while I've been using it. There's also an Android app.

I can't comment...
Published 23 months ago by Chill

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for certain file types
Disappointed as it won't steam AVI files to IPad or IPhone. Works fine with MP4. There are lots of free conversion program's out there to convert AVI to mp4 but it is time consuming.
The device itself is easy to set up and benefits from having wifi security as some similar products don't.
The Internet pass through works a treat with only a slight speed reduction.
Published 15 months ago by MR JOHN MILLINGTON

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solution for extra storage, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Buffalo Ministation Air 500GB USB 3.0 & Wireless Portable Storage - Black (Personal Computers)

I can't comment on the DRM issue mentioned in another review, as I haven't tried it with purchased files. The .m4v video files that I've produced myself work well in iTunes and on this MiniStation.

The device works as a standard portable hard drive when connected to a computer, and adding content to the drive is just a matter copying files to it - no special software needed. The interface is USB3, which works well in a USB2 slot in my computer. Note that the IOS app lists the stored content by filename only (tags don't seem to be used), so make sure your folder structure is sensible, your video filenames make sense, and that you can distinguish your files even if those filenames are truncated in the file list.

The device creates its own secure wifi network - simply connect your phone to this network as you would a normal access point, and then run the MiniStation app to access your media or backup your photos etc. The app also gives access to the device configuration options. Alternatively you can connect to the device wirelessly from your computer (default IP address 10.10.10.254) in order to access these configuration options, such as changing the network name, password, security options etc. There is a WAN option to connect the device to a separate wireless access point (such as your wireless router), so that any device connected to the MiniStation also gets pass-through access to the internet - without this option you'd have to switch your phone between the MiniStation wifi and your router's wifi to check email etc. This could be useful on a train or in an airport for instance - just configure the MiniStation's WAN options to connect to the available wifi and your phone will then have internet access despite being connected to your MiniStation the whole time.

In the box you also get a mesh bag to carry the drive in, a USB-to-DC-jack charging cable, and a USB3 data cable. Note that the wifi network is not available when the drive is connected via USB, and that it takes about a minute for the wifi network to show up after disconnecting the USB cable (or switching on the drive). Wifi remains active while the drive is charging through the DC jack however.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this device. It does what it aims to do very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars good hardware, poor software, 14 Dec 2012
This is a great concept for people who need more storage on their iPad. The hardware is good. The ministation app needs some more work however, its not very stable and often crashes. The product does provide access to mass storage though and is ideal for storing movies for a long plane/train trip.

Note that although you can store files of any type, only the supplied MiniStation app can be used to access these files - not other apps on your ipad. This is a limitation, but is probably more due to Apple/IOS Security than anything else.

The app contains a media player and so can play movies, but it will *not* play DRM files - so you cant use your itunes files directly. Thats not the products fault though, only itunes can play itunes files.

4.0 out of 5 stars nearly perfect, 26 Nov 2013
Purchased this to backup my macbook pro and to carry around audio and video to use on my iPad mini. Had a few initial problems setting up but found that buffalo's help team (by phone) were very helpful and it now works well but with the following caveats.
It is sometimes difficult to connect to the ministation from the iPad mini, I have to turn off the wifi and then switch it on again in order to pick up the ministation.
It is not possible to connect the macbook to the ministation using wifi - this would be very useful to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for certain file types, 8 Sep 2013
The Internet pass through works a treat with only a slight speed reduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffalo Ministation Air, 6 Jan 2013
A great piece of kit. Work perfectly in the car on a long trip keeping the kids entertained without having to fill up their iPads with films

5.0 out of 5 stars A nifty bit of kit. I have so much ..., 16 Oct 2014
A nifty bit of kit. I have so much more storage now which allows me to store all my laptop desktop files and picture knowing that it's all backed up and safe!! My only criticism is that initially it's very confusing to understand the instructions to use - there are none!! And it takes a while to get picked up on wifi. But now it's being used very handy !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Buffalo Ministation network authorisation problem, 1 Aug 2013
Beware of misleading instructions. Finally have this product working and too early to have an opinion -but do be aware of the instructions especially the password. Dont use the password suggested on the instructions but get a magnifying glass out and insert the key code on the bottom of the unit. Seems obvious now but not at the time. Not impressed with lack of proper power adapter.Its Ok I think but a rather confusing product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable hard drive, 12 Jun 2014
P. A. Rey "skyrey" (uk) - See all my reviews
My iPhone was almost full but being able to download all my pictures and videos to the Ministation Air and access them wirelessly even on the go is excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 5 Jun 2014
DCD (GLASGOW, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have two old 1TB external hard drives that plug into the mains, and one connects to a laptop via USB to stream to to other laptops, TVs and phones. This Buffalo Ministation seemed like a great idea for us - If I wanted, I could have this same set up - or take advantage of the promised improvements (no mains connection, no noisy, heavy HDD, just a small, quiet, neat thing - perfect for taking on a cheap flight that demands small and lightweight). Then there are the attractive new things, the extras - this would allow us to stream a small wifi network in the car on journeys. My son would use the netbook, and my daughter would use her android tablet. We would not usually bother with phones, except, perhaps for streaming music. We might also be able to use it to boost an internet connection for music by the pool at the villa. Nice. --- However - it arrived on time (usual great service from Amazon), and I charged it up and dropped in a load of different media files to try it out, but I couldn't get the wifi to connect with anything. When I eventually downloaded the app and connected my phone, it kept disconnecting and saying the battery was low - and it stuttered. Very frustrating indeed. I began taking notes and following a test sequence, I had others involved - searching help on-line etc.. I charged it for 5 hours on the first day, and it ran down in 20 minutes. I charged it up overnight, got the green light, and it drained and dropped in under 40 minutes. This would be no good on a journey! Only one phone worked (sort of), the tablet could browse the root menu for a while but was unreliable and needed to be right next to the box! I never did get the netbook to connect, nor the main laptop (except when plugged in the USB). I did manage to play *.mp3 files, *.avi files and others before connections were dropped - but I used tried and tested media players on the phone. I spent 3 days of my spare time on this, all I wanted was a plug-and-play experience! The quality seemed poor - it did not feel robust, it only has a couple of annoying buttons you have to press and hold in, it is a mysterious thing, clumsy, unreliable and it just did not do what I wanted - no chance I would take this on holiday as I would spend too much time faffing about setting up and charging. I can get a plug -in ext HDD for £34 - exact same but no wifi to modernise my system, and I shall just have to copy files onto SD cards etc for the trip, it's a bother, but a LOT less bother than this wee box.

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to return mine, 1 Feb 2014
Unfortunately I had to return mine. It would only occasionally allow my tablet ( ipad ) and iPhone to connect to the wifi.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›