4.0 out of 5 stars 'Fings Ain't Wot They Used T' Be'
A book written with the authority of a participant and historian, Sheila Hardy's reproduction and recollection of life for a housewife in the 1950's is remarkable. I was born in 1950 and my brother in 1946. So much of the author's plight of the problems and discrimination are vividly recalled. Much of it was through necessity. Husband was the bread-winner, wife was the...
Published 21 months ago by ACB (swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail
I was hoping for stories from housewives at the time, but with only a couple of exceptions, it is also by the author. I've found that some examples are given twice, eg holidays at B & Bs, and in other instances, names of products are given with no explanation as to what they are.
Not told in a very interesting manner. Real life examples and stories would have...
Published 19 months ago by butterflymum

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting., 1 July 2014
Carole (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
For me, born in the mid 1950's this was partly reminiscence and partly informative. An enjoyable read, well written and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 26 May 2014
Ms. Alison Roberts "flirty giggle" (burton on trent, staffs, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
I totally enjoyed reading this book, it opened my eyes to the ways of everyday life in the 50's. It's hard to think of older relatives being like this, although it does that these were the good old days

5.0 out of 5 stars I was born in 1950., 22 May 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, took me straight back to my childhood......also made realise how much easier my life has been than was my Mother,s. Nostalgic.xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read !!!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
It was wonderful to re-live some of the memories of my childhood - although born in 1957 I can still recall many of the subjects discussed. From foods eaten, like Arctic Roll, and Vesta meals. The dreaded coal fires which I often had to clean out and prepare on return from school, before my parents got home from work, and family holidays at caravan parks in Southport, Morecambe and further a field in Dawlish Warren, Devon. Also shopping in our local department store of Hardcastles with the chutes that transported your payment to the cashiers office. A great read - a reminder of a bye- gone age.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
This was a good read and brought back lots of memories that
I had long forgotten! Incredible to read what we used to have to do in the 1950's.

2.0 out of 5 stars DULL, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
This book was not what iexpected, and i gave up after a few chapters, may apeal to an older reader

4.0 out of 5 stars 1950 housewife, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
interesting to be reminded about 1950's , a lot of the things in the book similar to when I was young enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting book actually made me realise how bad it was bringing us up then, inspirational , and true

3.0 out of 5 stars A light read, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
My parents married in 1956 and my mother was a '1950s Housewife' though one with a top-class degree from a Scottish University so perhaps not typical. She was definitely one of the brides-to-be who lived on breakfast cereal for months before her wedding in order to collect a full canteen of EPNS cutlery!
The book is a light but informative read supported by research and personal accounts. There were only a few places where the women interviewed by the author were quoted extensively. I would have loved to hear more of their stories in greater detail. The detailed descriptions of life in the 1950s rings true in the main but the the author does make a lot of generalisations. For example she says electric sewing machines only came on the market after the 50s but I believe it was possible to retro-fit a motor to a standard Singer machine much earlier; my granddad had one which he passed to my mum who made all her clothes (and wedding dress!) on it. There is a lot about the crafts a young couple could do together and the pretty furnishings a new wife could make for the home but apart from mentioning turning sheets 'sides-to-middle' there is little about the boring mending which features in contemporary accounts.
I couldn't work out if this book was intended as a text book to dip into or a cover-to-cover read. When the author mentions the 'Diana' case study several chapters after this is featured you would need to have read the whole book to understand the reference; on the other hand some chapters, particularly the Honeymoon and Holiday sections, repeat themselves in places.
On the whole I would recommend this to anyone interested in the mid-century period.

5.0 out of 5 stars it was informative, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: A 1950s Housewife (Kindle Edition)
It was all very informative but would have been made better by recipes they used in those times.
Overall I believe it is a good book.

A 1950s Housewife