4.0 out of 5 stars Rotting good fun!
Published 24 months ago by Afropirate

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
It must be difficult to find original names for characters, lands, castles and counties but this author has tried really hard . Unfortunately the author succeeded and in using so many syllables in the names my brain was strained 5 pages in and I simply couldn't be bothered to decipher them just to distracting to the story.
Published 7 months ago by berenice

4.0 out of 5 stars Rotting good fun!, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
Fans of Pratchett, Tom Holt, et al, should eat this novel up in one sitting. Witty, bawdy and irreverent, it still manages to make one or two serious points, within a comfortably familiar, yet cheekily skewered fantasy realm! Wraps up briskly and tidily, yet still leaves you wanting more, which is always the best way to have things end, I find. Willis definitely be investigating his other novels too! Pure fun, nothing at all earnest or taxing here, just an unhurried and delectable light lunch for fans of comedy fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was so good I had to leave a review, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
This book caught my eye and I am glad it did it was a most enjoyable read that left me wanting to read more by the guy who wrote it. It's very funny; not in the least bit boring and different from the usual fantasy story there are some great twists and the odd serious point. I really began to feel for the main character especially near the end where the story gets more serious.

The world created kept my interest and had enough detail without the need for a large word count, the pace of the story was good yet did not feel rushed, the characters had the required depth and their motivations were understandable. There are some great descriptions and insights into how people are regarded how the elves were described were particularly funny to me as usually they are so respected.

I liked the ending everything was explained, I was sad when I finished reading yet I had a smile. I had to leave a review as this book could be overlooked by bigger books yet it should not be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed reading this book, if you have a sense of humour, then this is the book for you! Good plot, not one boring paragraph in the whole book. You really start to feel for boric the more you read of his plight.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Quest of a rotting hero, 30 Sept. 2014
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
This is quite a clever story and has a humorous approach. Of course everyone's sense of humour is different so I didn't laugh out loud but I enjoyed the book. The story was good, the events amusing and the end was exceptionally good.
The one thing that really did irritate me was that for the first half of the book each chapter alternated between the present and the past when Boric obtains the sword. If anything is calculated to destroy the flow of a story, that is the best way to do it it. If it had not been for that it would have got five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it, 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
Wow a very good story. I like the way the storyline flicks back and forth between two timelines to see how the character Boric develops to being who he is and then what he becomes. I liked the way it was unpredictable, funny and endearing. Parts also felt very modern even though in my mind it's an old familiar tale it's intriguing and well written. Definitely recommend it to all fantasy fiction lovers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 5 Oct. 2014
berenice (JARROW, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyable and a quick read - great fun to read, in the way that a Terry Pratchett combines fantasy with dark humour. Someone else here wasn't happy about names with so many syllables....er'm presumably you don't mean Toric, Boric or Yoric among those? Highly recommend this as an easy and fun read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
A light-hearted and irreverent read that doesn't take itself too seriously. A nice, easy read that will bring a smile to your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired, 29 Mar. 2014
Ms. C. E. Ramsden "Calirie" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
I though this book would be a good laugh, but never could have imagined how much I'd become invested in it. It is a top rate, deep and meaningful story wrapped up in hilarity and cold hard truths, which made it all the better. I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Disenchanted (Kindle Edition)
a good entertaining read. switches time frames seamlessly and for those who like fantasy novels with comedy it is ideal .

Disenchanted