Colour Name: BlackChange

on 19 March 2014
These earphones sound identical to the more expensive DS-101A model. The noise cancelling is the same as well. The difference is that the DS-101A model is designed for smartphones so has a call answering button while this DS-102A set is designed for Skype so it doesn't have an answer button but does have an accessory splitter cable to attach to separate headphone and microphone sockets as found on PCs and laptops.

These are very nice earphones for music and other multimedia and general use so to get them at such a low price is great. The noise cancellation is extremely useful but does depend on a good fit; if you're not getting the benefit try the different sizes of tips and also try wearing them with the cable looped back over the ears so the earphones sit a bit more easily in your ear and the tips sit snugly in the opening of the ear canal.

You charge them from USB using the supplied short cable and the charge is good enough for about 30 hours of noise reduction. The earphones work fine without any power, though you don't get much isolation.

The sound quality is very good. There is great clarity. For music and movies you get a well balanced sound without the exaggerated dull booming that passes for bass in most headphones these days, especially cheap ones and fashion brands. I use these and my other Digital Silence earphones daily, often in preference to far more expensive models.

These seem well made of good quality materials, come with all the accessories you need to use them with mobile devices, PCs and so on, and everything fits in a drawstring pouch. They are good earphones for general use and truly superb value.
on 12 August 2014
I was slightly surprised to find a comment in the manual that it is not recommended for mobiles, as this NOT clear in the description. However it works fine with my Xperia SP (including for calls) so no complaints on that.
Noise cancelling, while not perfect, has significantly reduced the volume needed in many situations - seems to work best on continuous background noises such as trains & traffic rather then "point" sounds such a announcements. Very good for the price especially considering as you will find "Isolation" passive sets for more than this.

Includes 3 sizes of buds, micro USB Charging cable (no mains adapter), split connector (for separate microphone and headphone jacks) and what I think is an alternate pin-out adapter plus a nice drawstring bag to put it all in - a high quality product.

If looking for a mobile one again would likely pick the Digital Silence DS-101A ( which has an in-line button and I'm impressed enough with this one to want to try another from the same people.
on 12 July 2013
I tried these on an 8hr flight and found that they worked much better than I expected. Although the sound was not the best it was perfectly satisfactory and I had no problem with the comfort. The charge lasted the flight. I would have given it a 5 if it had a volume control. It also comes with an comprehensive assortment of adapters. I have not tried to use it for a Skype call yet and would recommend it to a friend.
on 1 July 2013
I bought them for my husband, he thinks they are brilliant. In the past he as tried many others but never liked them as much as these. He said the sound is great, they are very comfy to wear and hold the charge very well. I would recommend them to friends as they are Brill.
on 24 February 2015
Very good for the price.
As anyone who has read a bit on ANC will tell you, noise canceling works best with lower frequencies whereas for blocking high frequencies it's better to rely on noise isolation. True with these earbuds, as they don't block most of human speech spectrum. But I've been impressed when, after using them for 5 minutes and turning off the ANC I realized how noisy our office actually is with all the computers and AC and stuff.
I might be wrong, but I think the noise canceling in these headphones 1) attempts cancellation only for the lower end of the spectrum 2) adds a high-frequency hiss for the high-end spectrum in order to decrease the sound-to-noise ratio and thus mask some noise that is more difficult to cancel otherwise 3) slightly amplifies the signal in order to make the listened music stand out 4) filters out the lower end of the spectrum even when turned off (no bass when ANC off).
All these tricks are used to enable us to listen to our music at a lower volume and thus take better care of our hearing.
There's a more interesting effect I noticed when using them on the tube. There's a beat ( appearing at times when the moves. I'm guessing there's a slight delay between the negative noise that the ANC circuit sends into our ears and the actual noise outside, which means that for repetitive noises this works reasonably well (like the hum of a fan) but in certain conditions when the frequency of the noise fluctuates (like when the train accelerates or decelerates) the negative sound wave might end up strengthening the outside noise and thus a beat is born :)

Comparing with my usual, cheap and discontinued Klipsch Image X1, I find the sound quality to be lacking in the DS102. With or without ANC.
Compared to the same Image X1 (ear canal phones, passive noise isolating) the DS102 with ANC on has almost the same noise blocking abilities.

Microphone placement is good when worn straight, but ends up behind the ear if wearing the headphones over-the-ear.
Microphoning effect almost unnoticeable when worn over-the-ear but very strong when worn straight down.
DS102 doesn't have an answer call button. If the intended use is with a smartphone I would recommend the DS101 model.
Comes with a splitter cable (TRRS to separate Stereo and Microphone 3.5mm jacks). Also included is an adapter for pre-iPhone TRRS jack.

Bottom line:
- Average sound quality when compared to similarly priced passive headphones (which don't run out of battery);
- Average noise canceling when compared to high-end noise canceling sets (which cost hundreds of £);
- Slightly lower noise blocking when compared to ear canal phones (again, those don't use a battery);
- Great battery life;
- Cheap price;
- Would definitely recommend over iPhone's stock earbuds or most other stock headphones for that matter.
on 15 May 2015
An excellent little set of headphones. The sound quality is very good, especially when you consider the price. The fact that it charges (for the noise cancellation) form a generic usb port is very useful and the lack of 'traditional' batteries means that the weight is kept down.

The noise it cancels is very specifically *background* noise, it doesn't cope well with conversation although in its favour it doesn't have too much of the hiss that a lot of noise cancelling headphones suffer from.

The reason for the loss of a star is that its meant too ship with a splitter (so you plug in to the microphone and headphone socket), this didn't arrive and when I contacts the company they just passed me to Amazon customer services who responded with the typical pigeon English response that so full of double negatives I gave up trying to understand it and ordered a splitter off ebay instead (under £2). With the splitter it works well as a headset, if that's what you want it for.

All in all they're a well built, well priced set of headphones that do everything that can reasonably be expected of them.
on 3 January 2014
I wasn't expecting the noise cancelling to be as good as it was on this set. I have a number of other more expensive noise cancelling earphones, and these are actually more effective. I did however buy these for work for use in internet based meetings, and they work great. All in all, a very good buy and well worth the money.
on 4 May 2014
These headphones are great, especially on a plane or train, they really work well at cancelling out the sound which means the music is much clearer to listen to. They are at a brilliant price and I would definitely recommend them!
on 9 July 2014
My normal headset for travelling is a Sennheiser over ear headset which cost nearly £200 when new. They are excellent but get hot on my ears, they are also difficult, if not impossible to use when trying to sleep on a plane.
I bought these to try and thought that they were so cheap, it was worth the risk. They performed excellently on the tube to the airport, always a challenge for my others and on the plane were great. I even managed to sleep on the overnight flight to Cape Town using them. My only gripe is that I would like a volume control within the unit as they need my phone to be on full to work in some environments.
Having said that, I will probably by another pair for my wife for when we travel on holiday.
on 8 May 2014
I used these on a 19 hour flight from UK to the Falklands. All I can say is that they are fantastic! On an A330 they cut the background sound effectively and really made the trip comfortable

See one answered question