Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 20 February 2013
I saw Gin Wigmore last weekend in Glasgow, where she was supporting Train on tour. She has a fabulous voice - think Paloma Faith mixed with Amy Winehouse....and this is a really gutsy album. I loved everything I heard her sing live, and knew the album was being ordered immediately. It doesn't disappoint. I don't think there is a bad track on this. I would love to see her do well in the UK. A month and a half on, I'm still playing this CD alot. There are great ballsy tracks like Black Sheep, and there are beautiful quiet tracks that stay with you long after they finish like Saturday Smile. This album is going to be a favourite for a long time to come.
on 7 April 2013
First of all why did Universal Music US wait a year and a half to release GRAVEL & WINE on Mercury? (this from an American perspective) Wigmore is a totally unique artist with a memorable voice and an edge to her music that makes her stand out in the predictable (and frankly, quite abysmal) field of pop music in the 21st century. Intrigued listeners/viewers were clamoring to their search engines to find out who the singer in the Heineken/Bond commercial is. I understand a couple of her songs were also included on some high-profile television pgms as well. She got my attention and I generally despise most mainstream music. At best, Universal should have been positioned to release this album either to coincide with the commercial's release or shortly after it hit the airwaves. They seemed to have sat too long on it. But maybe their strategy will pay off. People are paid handsomely to make those decisions afterall. Secondly, why is 'Don't Stop' a bonus track? That song, as all of you know, is also included on her previous HOLY SMOKE album. I suppose since Universal/Mercury waited far too long to release this album (and any coattail effect was effectively dashed) the hope was that the inclusion of this bonus track will entice new fans to seek out HOLY SMOKE as well. I think they put way too much thought into this and should've released GRAVEL & WINE, at the very least, one year earlier.

So, all of the vocal comparisons have been made but the one most frequently cited is that of Amy Winehouse. That's a fair assessment, however, I find Wigmore's music much more interesting and diverse. Yes, she's soulful but she's so much more. There are elements of alterna-pop, alt-country, danceable yet edgy pop and alternative rock. This is not typical music for the masses although it definitely could have broad appeal. Not that I care, but I'm sure she does. I think the glue that holds all this together is the understanding of all these genres by, not only Wigmore, but producer Butch Walker as well. He and the support band co-wrote (w/Wigmore) virtually all of the tracks on this record. Often times a record label with resources will assign a hot-shot producer, who has no connection to the artist whatsoever, to an up-and-comer in the hopes that their mere association will pay huge dividends. Here, the artist and producer truly appear to be on the same page. Additionally, the obvious glue that holds this project together is the vulnerability in Wigmore's voice. She's not too proud to let her voice crack and break as it pleases. I hear flourishes of obscure Chicago singer Diane Izzo (not the sound of their voice but their imperfect yet affecting phrasing) coupled with just a hint of R&B/disco singer Esther Phillips. I said 'just a hint' mind you.

This is a superb record that deserves to be heard by the masses but I secretly hope Wigmore remains under the radar so her artistry retains it's integrity and 'special-ness'
on 28 March 2013
I first heard Gin Wigmore when I was on holiday in New Zealand. I decided to buy her album and have not regretted it. There are no bad tracks and some excellent ones.
on 11 August 2015
First heard her on Monday 2 weeks ago when Jo Whiley played "Written in the Water" from her latest cd on Radio 2. I then went to Youtube, and played it repeatedly. I then tried to listen to all her other stuff. I then thought I would give this older record a go. I like it and am playing it a lot. At her best there is a beautiful combination of memorable and moving lyrics and tunes delivered by her distinctive soulful voice. I particularly like songs like "Poison" and "Devil in Me" which are pacey, and the slow poetic "Saturday Smile". The lyrics to her songs are often quite dark. To me, a stand out talent.
on 11 March 2013
Heard this band being interviewed on the radio and singing live so got straight onto the internet to try and find something of theirs and was very pleased with my choice of CD
on 29 July 2013
This was recommended by Amazon based on prior purchases, had quick look at other reviews and thought 'why not try it'. I am very glad I did, I have really enjoyed listening to every song on the album, she was described by another reviewer as Amy Winehouse'ish, I would say that isn't spot on but she has a distinctive voice and style that is well worth listening to, especially if you dont just want to hear the mainstream chart medley that seems to be on radio and music tv channels all the time.
All in all worth risking a couple of quid on a download, you should be pleasantly surprised.
on 28 February 2013
I bought this after seeing Gin supporting Train at Hammersmith Apollo. The first few tracks have real hooks in them and are instant winners, then the Album slows a little and becomes almost soulful. I like it a lot.
on 28 February 2013
exciting, fresh, strong sound with a voice to match, Recommend this to anyone looking for new music which will not date.
on 3 July 2012
Bought this album on a whim whilst on holiday in New Zealand (listened to a couple of tracks in the store), and I haven't regretted it.

Gin has a very unusual voice, which personally, I find really nice - very gravelly. The songs are really good with some unusual music intro's etc e.g. Black Sheep, which is really interesting and a joy to listen to. I particularly love some of the quirky lines within the songs, that on first listen you may miss.

Would recommend to anyone looking for something new and not mainstream. Will be adding Gin to my list of artists to follow.
on 29 May 2013
Absolutely love her! Got to see her live as a supportband for Train concert in Leeds. Bought the album, listen to it every day. Full of soul, not usual commercial stuff. Real music from the heart