4.0 out of 5 stars If you can suspend belief, it's 'bloody' brilliant
Published on 8 July 2009 by Lokious

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Just Didn't Stick
I was drawn to this book as soon as I read the back of it, and the customer reviews sealed the deal.

Published 23 months ago by Angie

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can suspend belief, it's 'bloody' brilliant, 8 July 2009
Lokious "Lokious" (Stoke-on-Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afraid (Paperback)
I bought this book on whim, simply sold on the blurb and front cover, and i have to say i was totally absorbed from page 1. I agree to a certain extent with previous negative reviews that it is a little ridiculous in places and you certainly need to suspend belief in others, but to be honest, i have a real life and read books for a bit of superficial escapism and 'suspend belief' moments. I'll not bang on about the plot because it's aready been covered in previous reviews, but if you like a good scare, detailed descriptions of gore and the odd twist and turn, i fully recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for more, 10 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Afraid (Paperback)
Many books carry reveiews saying how the depth of writing involves the reader with the characters. I have read no book where this is more so than here. This does mean, however, a lot of heartache for the reader as characters for whom one feels an affinity fail to survive! This book left me hoping that this author can write more of this standard. Incidentally this is the first time I have seen a publisher blog that says the author does not wish to share his private life!

4.0 out of 5 stars AFRAID: horrible gripper of a book, I thoroughly enjoyed the ending, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Afraid (Hardcover)
Afraid
Afraid by Jack Kilborn is a horrifying book with a particularly satisfying ending.

I like cozies. I might as well be honest about that. Also happy ever afters. Further, in the interests of full disclosure, you should know that I read AFRAID by Jack Kilborn (with a view to a peer review) because Joe Konrath dared me to do so. He has a thick skin, and a strong stomach... and anyone who reads AFRAID needs both.

Horror is not my genre of choice. I'm a Romance writer, but I enjoy murder mysteries and suspense novels. In my opinion Jack Kilborn is better than Jeffrey Archer, Dan Brown, Clive Cussler, and on a par with Greg Iles or John Grisham.

This is not a book to take on a fishing trip, especially if you've left your loved ones at home, alone. In fact, this book ought to come with a free membership of the NRA. You'll want your Brinks alarm turned on, and a loaded shotgun under your mattress if you read AFRAID in bed at night. You might want one of those panic button pendants, too.

Be warned. It is gruesome. The villains are seriously, SERIOUSLY, nasty. My own most horrible villain (Insufficient Mating Material) rendered his victims insensible, had his wicked way, then took a small plug of pubic hair for a souvenir. Jack Kilborn's baddies do a great deal more than that. You get a sense of the horrors to come when a faceless bad guy sits on his first victim's bed, and when she asks what he's going to do to her, he says "Everything."

And that's just page 7.

This book contains some sick stuff. Nothing is off limits. Think Hannibal Lecter times five --or six by my count-- with the absolute might and force of the US government backing them up...or at least covering them up.

The pace is relentless, the characterization --unfortunately-- is excellent. You will care about these people. No one deserves to die the way so many do. The writing is crystal clear, like carved coal, dark, sparkling, with more than an evil glint. There's no silliness, no messing about, and nothing strikes you as implausible at the time, even if some of the violence is over the top.

You won't want to put down this book until you reach the last line. It's a good last line. Really good.

Afraid is a horrifying book with a particularly satisfying ending. I thoroughly recommend it.

best wishes,

Rowena Cherry
SPACE SNARK(tm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 July 2009
Sam Thompson (Herne Bay, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afraid (Hardcover)
I don't tend to go for horror books often, but after being reccomended this by a friend I'm glad I decided to read it.
After being warned that it's gory, I went into it without thinking much of it. This turned out to be a mistake, as I found myself 'ooooh'ing and 'ahhh'ing at some of the more grotesque deaths.
I was also a bit wary of a single chapter, but in the end I think it works a lot better. I found it kept me engaged, I read this in a single sitting, something that rarely happens.
I think the most entertaining thing about this book is that it takes no prisoners. The author doesn't think 'oh an old lady, better make sure she survives', he thinks 'I wonder how much I can make the reader vomit by such and such a death'. The story goes straight into the action, and within 50 pages there are already at least four deaths, giving a lovely taster of what to come.
The rest of the book is paced well, with all the events slowly leading up to the climax. Every little break from one group of people is another cliffhanger, and you desperately hope that another group finds them in time, or that they'll be able to hide themselves from the villains (which sadly fails pretty much every time).
It's a great read, and I would definintely read it again. Fully reccomend it to anyone that has a strong stomach.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully gruesome read, 24 Jun. 2009
C. Sangster (Auckland, NZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Afraid (Paperback)
I read this in one go. It's highly entertaining and bloody. Everything a horror book should be. The killers are absolutely insane!! They are government weapons that have been modified but something goes wrong and they land on home soil and proceed to kill the entire population. The killers are ex-serial killers and other such criminals. One of the most gruesome bits was when a lady got her toe eaten off while trying to escape through a window. If you're into fast plots and gore this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Afraid (Paperback)
Amazing book. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it's the best book I've read! Absolute must read!

Not for the faint hearted, it definitely has it's gore. It's rare to find a book that terrifies you, then makes you laugh & even makes you cry!

Already reading the authors next book "Trapped" on my kindle as I couldn't wait! I can't imagine reading any books by any other author ever again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Afraid - A Novel of Terror (Kindle Edition)
I am not a lover of horror books so I started this with some trepidation but I needn't have worried it was a good story from the start and pulled me straight in so that I ended up reading it within a couple of days.

Scary idea if it came true I would no doubt be very afraid and would probably be one of the first victims! Great book would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Afraid? No. Entertained, yes!, 2 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Afraid (Paperback)
I often spend a while surfing amazon looking for books to read and after reading a few reviews for this book I decided to purchase it. It arrived fast and I began reading straight away.

I think that the book isn't as gory as other reviewers have made out, perhaps I've read too many horror books and seen too many horror films to feel sickened at some of the descriptions. That's not a bad point by any means, just an opinion.

I will say that it makes for an excellent read and I would recommend it to any looking for a good tense read. I say tense rather than scary because it isn't extremely terrifying.

At first I didn't take well to the short accounts from each character (there are a lot of characters). But as you get deeper in the book, this device does well to create suspense, cutting to a different character when something is about to happen.

I'd say that if you haven't read/watched a large amount of horror then things in this book could shock you but other than that I'd say go for it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant story...., 17 May 2014
This review is from: Afraid - A Novel of Terror (Kindle Edition)
Another great book by kilborn/konrath. Great story, gory as hell, brilliant plot and fascinating characters . I love how it's got killers from other books in it, like Taylor out of serial(he is one of my favourites) if you like horror treat yourself to this, you won't be disappointed. Now going to read endurance can't wait ... x

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Just Didn't Stick, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Afraid - A Novel of Terror (Kindle Edition)

To be fair, this book delivered what it promised in a lot of ways. The action and the gore were thrown into the fray very quickly, and even though there are a seemingly overabundance of characters introduced in rapid succession I had no trouble getting to know them individually.

But for me, it also treated the reader as if they were a bit, well... dumb. There were a fair share of moments where my jaw dropped with a realization things were abut to get bad. But the next sentence without fail proceded to explain to the reader exctly why they should be surprised. My second issue is hard for me to describe, the same characters escaped too many times for my taste, and I found myself just praying at the end of the book that the beagle would be okay. I stopped caring for the people because it became too predictable, I was looking for more of a 'no one is safe' scenario.

To conclude, if you are out for action and gore with some decent characters then this book is worth the pocket change you'll pay for it. Just don't go into it expecting Stephen King.

Afraid - A Novel of Terror