5.0 out of 5 stars A great DEVICE
Published 17 months ago by Int345

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I expected
I hate to write a less than glowing review about a Samsung product as I am a real Samsung fan boy - but I really have to be honest and am slightly disappointed with this camera.

Published 18 months ago by Deb

5.0 out of 5 stars A great DEVICE, 27 Jan 2013
Before buying I read all the reviews online for this camera was a little put of by comments about poor image quality once printed/ viewed on big screen but BEWARE the cameras they use as comparisons are all £300/£400 DSLR , that is not what you are paying for here....what you actually get is image quality both Video and stills on a par with samsungs wb150f/wb850f (specs etc almost identical to wb850f) with a few extra effects etc.BUT on top of this you get an android device with the same specs as Samsung note11/s3 ( but without the phone bit!) device capable of taking good to very good point and shoot video and stills but also easily copes with 3d /complex games,email,browsing,kindle ap,social media/ sharing and watching HD quality movies downloaded to watch offline from google play..an idea device if travelling ! You also get 2years 50gb Dropbox,a way of storing and sharing photo/video across all devices..really great service,lots of preloaded photo editing/effect apps and access to more via play store,great wifi (picked up public access spots even iPod had problems with) and the ability to add 3G sim...comes with 1gb months p&g sim from 3 but should be able to use micro sim from any provider (home or abroad) just like a phone.

The free battery charger being offered by most sellers at moment is TINY and comes with spare battery (or it did when I purchased it) very light and uses same power cable as camera,charges with a couple of hours, would be an idea to purchase several spare batteries (they are cheap!) as battery life is only down side of this device...with wifi on and heavy app usage would last three/four hours of continuous use (Internet,games etc) without wife expect double that and just used as camera with wifi on some of time would last day or two

Other reviews mention lack of case , it is an odd shape being thinner than samsungs wb150 but about 1 1/2 times the length due to large screen with thicker hand hold at one side and obviously the 21 times zoom adding thickness....I found that soft cases/travel cases meant for Nintendo ds/3ds (not the Xl version) fitted really well , are cheap and normally have space for spare micro sd cards

You will need to purchase large capacity (32/64 gb) micro sd card class 10 or above..this will cost an extra £25 plus even from a amazon!

In conclusion a great device if you want an all in one device to travel with and accept its limitations.....
Screen great quality/ responsive but only a little larger than an iPod
Camera / Video quality good but not as good as a DSLR for same price
Same range of usable apps/ movies as on android tablet (and full play store / amazon app store access) but MUCH smaller screen
Battery life about half you would expect from smart phone or tablet
Same text/3G access as phone but no voice calls
Much heavier than normal point and shoot camera or smart phone , but lighter than both together

BUT IT CAN DO IT ALL !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jan 2013
T. Slater - See all my reviews
It's fair to say that if you take the trouble to trawl the internet for reviews on this camera, you'll find a pretty mixed bag of opinions. Most of the negative ones seem to dwell on image quality compared to some of the competition. I think that this is purely down to the fact that this an expensive piece of kit, and you possibly could pick up a 'normal' compact/mirrorless for a bit less with better image quality. But have no fears - the photo's that this baby takes are clear, vibrant and pop out at you, even on a full size computer screen. If you're used to having a mid/high range compact camera you will be more than happy with the results. My personal opinion is that there's a lot of nit picking going on from dedicated photography sites that dont neccesarily approve of the Samsung's jack of all trades approach.
All you need to know is that it takes fabulous pictures which can be edited on the fly with loads of fun editing apps from Google Play, shared immediately and the zoom is amazing. And you can play Angry Birds - nuff said.

UPDATE : Just to press the point home, a friend of mine bought a Panasonic GH3 mirrorless compact over the weekend. That camera is generally recognised to have very DSLR qualities and is a fine piece of kit in its own right. So, we took some comparison shots while out sledging with the kids in the snow and you really would be hard pressed to tell the difference (to the naked eye). If anything, the colours with the Samsung are more more vibrant in my eyes, and the detail is just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 23 Jan 2013
I really love this camera. It' s wonderful to take a picture e right away send to friends and family, or post on Facebook.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Device Apart From..., 22 Nov 2012
First impression is a quite fantastic device having 3G, WiFi and GPS. I go to loads of gigs and have 3 million hits on YouTube so there is much potential here, particularly with the 21x optical zoom lens. Live tweeting close up quality photos is very satisfying for both me and my followers. If ever EE have the decency to deliver my 4G mobile wifi unit ordered 22 days ago then I may even upload videos immediately after recording.

The still picture quality is exceptional in broad daylight, in darkened environments where a flash is not appropriate no better than my Canon G12. The video quality so far has been promising. It's a little soft for a 1080p device but the two gigs I have made videos at were in a dark church in Hackney. Somewhere with a full-on lightshow may prove sharper. Like every other camera I have had it runs into problems standing down the front right by the speakers, things get a bit muffled and distorted. The auto-focus is rather slow to respond when zooming in and out leaving 3-4 seconds out of focus at times, again this should improve outdoors in daylight.

The Android functionality is only hampered by the Samsung customisation. I expect it for the camera hardware and the menus are very easy to use other than an apparent lack of recording volume options leading to sound distortion as above. It's just a shame they can't leave well alone in other areas.

Anything I can do on my other devices I can do on this. I ignore DropBox and use Google+ Instant Upload instead. It's just a shame I can't remove DropBox completely. Facebook still bombs out when trying to share directly from the gallery as it does on my Nexus 4.1 phone.

However...

Battery life is very short. 3 hours at a gig taking 2-3 videos and 20-30 photos sees the battery down by 50% despite being on power saving. This may be down to Instant Upload struggling to get a 3G signal but I shouldn't have to switch off that functionality to see if there's a difference. 5 days at Glastonbury next year might require 5 batteries unless I switch off 3G completely.

The fatal flaw leading to this particular item's return and replacement with another is the video zoom. When initially zooming forward there is no problem. But zooming backwards and subsequent zooming in either direction leads to an extremely loud crackle in the video recording. Hopefully this is just a one off with my unit and wouldn't stop me from recommending it.

##UPDATE##

Having had the replacement which came in blue rather than the advertised black a couple of points.

Our office Christmas Party was in a very dark night club in London. In these settings taking shots with the flash is pretty random as you don't get the green squares around faces very often leading to lack of focus and red-eye reduction simply doesn't work.

I went to the XFM Winter Wonderland and had my first occasion to test out the video on the new one with high volumes blasting out of the speakers. Unfortunately the previous issue with crackling/distortion when using zoom is still very much present. It also takes quite a while to regain the auto-focus when zooming quickly. I may just have to live with the crackling or simply use the zoom a lot less. In so many other ways it is a brilliant camera with no apparent rival on the market, very reluctant to return again.

##UPDATE##

Very impressed with Samsung via their Contact CEO facility. I had a very helpful reply from their head of customer services when I said it seemed a bit pointless to return the camera a second time only to discover the very same issue a 3rd time. He contacted their technical guys and came back with a request to try the latest software update, Android 4.1.2. I had already applied this but hadn't had a chance to test it out. I did note, however, this also contained a firmware update. Not having any gigs for a few weeks I put my Led Zeppelin DVD on and progressively turned up the volume to the point my receiver safety cut-out kicked in, zooming in and out all the while. Result, zero crackle. A minor amount of motor noise when no volume but this will not affect me. There wasn't even any high volume distortion and the levels were similar to front row Brixton Academy. Hoping this holds true at a real gig but looking great so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy Camera, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Camera - Black (16MP, 21x Optical Zoom, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS) 4.8 inch HD Touch LCD (Electronics)
I am no expert on using gadgets but this camera os absolutely fantstic. It is easy to use and produces fantasic photos. I am still learning all the features and getting better at using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically a Galaxy sIII with a good camera attached., 16 Feb 2013
Mr. T. P. Ryan "HALman_3001" (Portishead, UK) - See all my reviews
As this product has 2 major features (the camera hardware and the android software) it's worth looking at the individually:
1) the camera: an excellent 16mp sensor coupled with a good lens and a very nice 21x zoom. If you don't need a DSLR then this is a lot of camera that will give excellent results. Better than other point and shoots I've used.
2) the software: Android jelly bean, which thanks to the powerful internal quad core processor runs very smoothly. Perfect for those of us who want instant access to twitter/Facebook/Dropbox/Instagram etc...

Together they make a killer combination. The photos I've taken (as an amateur) have really impressed me, the 3G integration makes instant sharing seamless, and the software included - and from the play store - makes the editing possibilities endless.

One feature I was particularly impressed, but hadn't considered before buying, is the slow-mo video option. It films at 120fps which makes the playback of slow mo really smooth and cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic concept. Love it., 1 Feb 2013
I use this device all the time it has a great 4.8" screen for viewing your pictures or if you prefer browsing the internet etc.
It is perfect for anyone that wants to share their photos instantly without any need for a computer.
The editing software that comes with the camera is pretty fun and their are many more advanced applications available from the play store.

The camera itself has taken some great snaps, I especially like some of the features that I have not seen before such as slow motion video. The 21x optical zoom is also incredible I have used it to take some great stills. It is not a replacement for DSLR it was never meant to be. I have taken it out on NYE and it can fit snugly into your pockets, it is therefore definitely portable.

This is definitely not just a camera it is a media device which is great for those like me that run out of battery regularly. The battery like on most other devices does not last more than a day of intense use but you can get extra batteries online for cheap that is IF you are a super user.

As for memory, I decided to spend £40 on a 64gb sd card, I do not have any issues with the internal memory.
I have installed skype on it, I know it does not have a front facing camera but it can be great for its portability and video around the house/outside/different angles that is not possible/more difficult when on a laptop.

I love that you can whatsapp photos to friends and family and the 50gb dropbox that comes free means I still have not connected it to a computer to download the photos as they are already backed up privately online for free!

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as I expected, 8 Jan 2013
Deb (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews

I love taking photos and own a Panasonic compact camera, a Panasonic bridge camera and a Nikon D90 DSLR - all of which I am happy with. I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone and this phone takes amazing photos so I was expecting a Samsung camera to be as good as my phone - but it isn't! ( I see another reviewer also prefers his Note 2 phone to this!)

I had high expectations for this camera - hoping that it would replace my DSLR on my hill walks, save having to carry the huge camera about in my rucksack and give me the extra zoom that I have not got on my Note 2 phone - but no I am still taking them with me because I am not happy with this camera.

The 3 mains let downs for me are:-

1)- NO HDR function. This is present on my Note 2 phone and I use it on most of my landscape shots and it is great and I presumed that it would be available on this camera, but it is not. So I find myself having to use my phone when I want HDR shots. I know that this is not a function that everyone wants - or even knows about, but once used it is so hard to live without and one that really should have been included in the Smart option. I really hope that Samsung can do a software upgrade to include this.

2) -The battery life is not good and I have had to order 2 more extra batteries to take out with me on my hill walks as it cannot last a day out in the hills.

3) - The photo ratio is odd. I am undertaking a 365 project this year and will be taking a photo every day (the main reason for purchasing this camera) but when I have come to print off the first weeks photos in the 6x4 aspect which will go into my album - have found that the pictures have not been taken in a 6x4 ratio. I had composed the photos beautifully in the large screen on the camera - but to print them have had to crop them such a lot that much of my composed scene has had to change. I am now faced with the prospect of not being able to compose my shots as I like - will have to go further out so that when I come to print them - can crop to include everything i want in the shot.

These 3 let downs with the camera have meant that it has not become my daily camera of choice as I had hoped that it would - hence my disappointment with it.

Being a real Instagram fan I wanted to use this camera to upload my photos directly to Instagram - but lack of HDR function means that I am still using my phone mostly for my Instagram shots.

On a positive note there are a few good things - I like the integration with Android and that my photos are uploaded directly to dropbox.

I like one of the new smart function - best face - have used that a couple of time and like the ways I can use the best face of each of the people in the shot.

So on the whole its a decent camera and I applaud Samsung for its new approach to a smart camera - but I wish that I had not rushed out and bought one because of my 3 major issues I have with it.

This is the first camera of its type - perhaps later versions will be improved.

UPDATE - 26/1/2013

I have continued to try and use this camera on a daily basis - every day since Christmas day and another niggle has appeared!

On 2 occasions when I have been out and using it - a warning has come up saying "not enough memory" - so unable to take any photos! I have a 4Gb Micro SD card inserted - so it is not enough memory to store the photos, but not enough memory to make the camera function! The first time I thought that it was just a one off and did a factory reset - but the second time - I investigated and yes all the memory was all used up by apps etc. Well I have only installed one - Touche note - to send postcards direct from the camera - the rest are all the pre installed apps etc. I don't understand why the camera is filled with so much stuff that it actually grinds the camera to a halt. I have removed a lot of the apps as I dont need them and hope that this will not happen again.

So come on Samsung - version 2 needs:-
1 - More memory!
2 - Better battery
3 - HDR function - found this now - its called RICH TONE - not HDR!
4 - the ability to change photo ratio in settings
5 - a self timer function - opps found this now as well - hate not having a booklet - takes so long to find hidden things!

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions....., 27 Feb 2013
Only had a couple of hours to dabble with this little beauty and I'm already impressed. It can do so much more than advertised. If you search 'youtube' deep enough you will find several tutorials that go in depth on how to use the camera and exactly what it's capable of such as viewing a pictures details using the 'tilt' of the camera instead of zooming in all the time!. Picture quality is very good on all modes I have tried so far. Slow motion of the sparrows on the bird table are a delight to behold. Voice recognition/control is literally faultless - tried to catch it out first time of use with "isometric workings of an equilateral triangle" and it got it word for word! wow!! Indoors with low lighting it took pictures like I was sitting in daylight, never had a camera that did that. I'm already using DropBox so don't have to go through the hassle of sitting in front of my PC to download pictures. I'm off on a two week cruise to the Caribbean soon so will extend this review on how it performed when I return. it's actually what I bought the camera for.........

Footnote: Just downloaded some pics manually to iPhoto (MAC) no problem...... but there IS a problem downloading video! investigated on several forums and apparently Samsung/Apple have issues with Mp4 video format and have this problem on a multitude of Samsung devices for at least TWO YEARS!!!!!. So... if you have a MAC and are using iPhoto and are expecting to download videos from the camera think again ? co's it ain't going to happen (shock, horror!).

Footnote 2: Found a long winded way to do it.... put micro SD card in an adapter, put the adapter in a usb sandisk reader, put it into a USB port, open it, drag each MP4 file into iPhoto.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the camera but hate that it is available 120£ cheaper in france, 12 Dec 2012
I like the camera and added it to my basket today but cancelled transaction after i realised it was available 120£ cheaper on amazon france. I really like this camera and have a playlist on youtube of videos of this camera (youtube username veryannoyingname ) BUt i cant justify buying this by paying 120£ more than people in france. Amazon price today for both black and white version is 449euros plus they get 100euro cash back from samsung as advertised on amazon effectively making this camera £281 in france with free delivery. So why are we in the UK asked to pay £399 for the same camera. Rip off. SO will wait till price crashes in the UK too. I have posted this on samsunggeeks blog and xda forums and youtube so that more uk prospective buyers are aware f the actual price in france and how we in the uk get ripped off 120£ more. I am not going to pay the present prices and will wait till prices come down to £281 like in france today.

I have seen almost all the youtube videos on this camera and loads of online written reviews and like the product and its features. I checked out both the black and white versions in a shop. I can find that there are other versions like red / orange / pink shown on other websites like engadget where an old post shows the different colours for the two types of official cases for this camera. Also on xda forums a picture of the red one has been posted as well. Was interested in the red one but cant find it in the uk yet. Will update my review after prices drop and i actually buy the camera. My present review is based on trying it out in a shop and seeing prices in france compared to the UK.

Update on 20.12.12:
Netherlands also gets the 100euro cash back as posted by others on XDA forums for this camera.

There is a £50 cash back for this camera on Samsung uk website if you buy a Samsung Galaxy note 2 or Samsung Galaxy S3 see detailed terms and conditions on Samsung website and also closing date for cash back scheme. The cash back scheme is very poor compared to France and Netherlands schemes.

Decided not to buy this camera yesterday as a better deal can be got on the Samsung WB850F for £175 but you get £50 cash back from Samsung for that camera making it £125. That camera has the same zoom and sensor and has Wi-Fi and can do remote link and viewer from android and iOS phones just like this camera with free apps, it can upload to internet to just like this camera. But the WB850F can't do other apps. But the other apps are available on my phone anyway. Since I was getting the WB850F for £125 after cash back from Samsung I thought that was a better deal as it has same zoom and website and Wi-Fi and internet upload options. Hope this helps others interested in the features I was looking for rather than just the other apps which isn't available on the WB850F. Bought it from amazon and getting delivery tomorrow.

Please note that I have checked various Samsung cameras in shops and found that the white ones in shops are grimy unlike the black ones and the grime really sticks to the white ones. The paint finish on other Samsung Cameras is similar to the Samsung galaxy camera so i would expect the same grime to accumulate on the white version of the Samsung Galaxy camera too. Consider this before buying white ones. I will upload a video of the grime stuck to white one (Samsung wb150) tomorrow to my YouTube channel. Shot the video a few days ago but haven't had time to upload it yet.